This thread is privately moderated by cynjon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2008, 12:10 AM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Discussion

LEG Guppy build

Now that I'm back from deployment, I've got some building to do! I managed to sneak out of the house last week for a day and headed up to Lucas where Jack and I did some building on our Guppies. No pics from that day, but we managed to get the fuses shaped and gear installed (minus RX) and the wings joined, spars installed, and trailing edge/sub-trailing edge installed. I then "gooped" the leading edge of the wing and the nose area to add some strength and let it cure for a couple days.

Today I manged to get my Canuck Engineering switchjack installed, along with the Spektrum AR6100E RX, Coroplast hatch, and wing servo extensions installed in the fuselage.

I also made up a servo installation template for the HS-65's and routed the servo locations in the wing, and shaped the wingtips and ailerons.

Left to do:

- shape and install the tailfeathers
- tape and cover the wing (I'm going with Ultracote and a "light" tape job)
- glue the wing into the fuse and tape/cover the fuse. I'll save the nose for last so I can add some weight to get the CG right.

Hopefully ready by next weekend...I'll add pics as I make progress.

EDIT: Finished--added pictures of complete Guppy, AUW 21.9oz.
Last edited by cynjon; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Got the wing taped tonight...had to leave one of the aileron horns off so I could slide it through the fuselage once I get the wing covered. A fairly light tape job but should be plenty strong for the Guppy's light weight. I'll run the covering iron over everything tomorrow before I start covering with Ultracote (or Econocote, I need to look through my box of covering).
Feb 02, 2008, 04:04 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP

Wing Finished

Wing is covered...basic sunburst design on top and stripes on the bottom. I'll install the other servo arm and the control horns once it is glued into the fuselage.

Next up, mount the wing in the fuselage and tape/cover the fuse.
Feb 03, 2008, 12:31 AM
Retired USAF
Thread OP

Fuselage Finished!

Got the wing glued into the fuselage, taped and covered...should be easy to see!

Left to do: Finish shaping tailfeathers, install tailfeathers, hook up linkages, balance and FLY...
Feb 04, 2008, 12:12 AM
Retired USAF
Thread OP

Almost done!

I sanded the tailfeathers today and covered them while I watched the Super Bowl. Afterward, I got the horizontal stab incidence set and gooped the stab on. I'll let that cure until tomorrow night and then I'll get the fin gooped on as well. The end is near!
Feb 05, 2008, 10:43 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Finally done! Linkages complete, CG was perfect without any lead required! AUW 21.9oz. Hopefully I'll be able to get up to Lake Wilson to maiden it soon...
Feb 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
Throw it like you hate it
looks great! have you had a chance to maiden? should fly great. your build weight is nice and light. have fun!
Feb 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Thanks! Nope, not yet...no slopes that are terribly close and convenient. I'll either head up to Lake Wilson or head over to Cheney Reservoir one of these days. Can't wait to get it in the air!
Feb 11, 2008, 11:42 PM
Throw it like you hate it
report back and tell us how much you love the plane... i am sure that will be the verdict.

just a word of caution, the h-stab is the weakest point on the plane and if you land the plane hard and the tail smacks down hard on the ground, it is liable to crack. this already happened to me once because i dont know how to land have fun!
Nov 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Finally got to fly the Guppy...flew great! I posted my comments in the main Guppy thread. Here are a couple pics from yesterday.

Quick Reply