Jan 31, 2008, 12:42 PM
you get out of life what
thanks you Tomhe for the plans and designs I built the f22 from here before 6mm took them on I was so pleased how easy it flew that I have ordered the f15 and mig from them they came yesterday and I have built them up today they go together so sweet
again thank you
only problem is the cost to have sent to the UK its as much as one of the kits

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2008, 12:49 PM

Ailerons

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
OK, here's a few pics of the cut out parts. ...........
I'm going to do linked in ailerons as well. You can see how much control surface area I cut out.
Pat
Do you mind sharing your aileron sizes; nice photo; state it as tip width, root width, and then, or course, length.

Thanks; looks really nice even while still in pieces.

Did you say what radio/rx you're going to use?

LarryR : )
Last edited by LareeRudee; Jan 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spellig
Jan 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Foam abuser!
Larry,

I'll measure the ailerons tonight (I just used the TLAR method ).

My radio is a JR XP9303. I have an XPS 2.4gHz module system, but I'm still running FM receivers on these birds (the spread spectrum stuff goes in planes that suffer glitching issues, like my Steve Shumate T-38). Eventually my entire fleet will be upgraded to 2.4.

Pat
Jan 31, 2008, 02:09 PM

Tlar

Quote:
Larry,

I'll measure the ailerons tonight (I just used the TLAR method ).
................ Pat
And from the photo I AGREE............. ha.

Jan 31, 2008, 02:12 PM
Foam abuser!
Basically all I did was take my 36" metal ruler and laid it down over the body about 1/2" forward of the rear portion of the prop canyon, then cut straight across. They start about 3/8" out from the body and extend all the way to the outboard missle rails.

But I'll get you exact measurements tonight.

Pat
Jan 31, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhe
Pat, thanks for pointing that out. I'll update the plans.
Done. The rev. 2 plans are in post #1.
Feb 01, 2008, 04:40 PM
Go Hawks!
Tomhe, thanks for the new plans. I just printed the full sheet out on my designjet plotter.

I opened up the plans in Adobe acrobat pro, using the measuring tool in the program, I see that the prop opening is 6.35". If one were to open that up to allow a 7" prop, it looks like it would interfere with the body of the plane since the two sides are pretty close to the edge of the prop opening as it is now.

Anyone thinking of modding this to allow a 7" prop to be used? I like the extra thrust you get with the 7". But hey, having to use a 6x5.5e allows a hotter wind motor and more speed.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Feb 01, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
Feb 01, 2008, 04:45 PM
Foam abuser!
This will be the first plane that I have not been able to open the prop canyon to accomodate a 7" prop. I am going with a hot motor and a 6X5.5 prop for this.

No time last night to build. I will get back to it tonight.

Pat
Feb 01, 2008, 04:49 PM

Don't tell anybody, but...........

Quote:
This will be the first plane that I have not been able to open the prop canyon to accomodate a 7" prop. I am going with a hot motor and a 6X5.5 prop for this.

No time last night to build. I will get back to it tonight.

Pat
I'm gonna do this for the very same reason; not fast, but larger prop.... I don't have my wing cut out yet, but gonna re-adjust the bottom fuselage "enclosure" to be WIDER in the back, meaning less curvature, allowing the front to stay "as is"............

What is your setup going to be?

Yes, I expect that is something in what I said is really BAAAAD, the author will tell us [so I don't fall into the ditch].

Good Luck,

Feb 01, 2008, 04:51 PM
Foam abuser!
Well, I have a LittleScreamers Park Jet motor on hand, and I have two of the Grayson Hobby Park Jet motors on order. Between this and the Su-27, they will get these motors. The F/A-18 will probably get the LSPJ though.

Pat
Feb 01, 2008, 04:54 PM

Revision A for me

I just went and measured the wing plan; here is how I'm gonna do it; [unless]

widen the intake 1/4 inch; 1/8 ea side of CL.................... then bring the fuse sides [enclosure sides] STRAIGHT back; and as I measured it, that should make the enclosure sides PARALLEL to the airflow, and allow enough space for a 7 in prop AND some clearance.

Feb 01, 2008, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
I opened up the plans in Adobe acrobat pro, using the measuring tool in the program, I see that the prop opening is 6.35".
Yes, I had to struggle to fit a 6" propeller on the Super Hornet. Its body is much more narrow than for instance the MiG-29 and the Su-37. I had to widen the body, even to fit a 6" prop.

I'm using the 2200 RPM/V 2212-06 motor myself, so it's not a problem for me.
Feb 01, 2008, 05:14 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhe
Yes, I had to struggle to fit a 6" propeller on the Super Hornet. Its body is much more narrow than for instance the MiG-29 and the Su-37. I had to widen the body, even to fit a 6" prop.

I'm using the 2200 RPM/V 2212-06 motor myself, so it's not a problem for me.
Sounds good. Thanks again for the very cool planes.

I'm going to see about a LS PJ for this plane and since I'm going to double up the fuselage to 12mm for rigidity, the extra weight won't be a problem. It should be quite fast though with that motor and the 6x5.5 prop.

In the interests of "giving back" to the hobby, support, and comraderie here, If anyone is local to the Seattle area and would like the full sheet plan, drop me a PM. I can print out a few extra copies lickity split. No charge to you!

take care
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Feb 01, 2008 at 05:42 PM.
Feb 05, 2008, 06:57 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Any flight updates from anyone on this? Vid? Power plant characteristics?

-Chris
Feb 06, 2008, 12:29 AM
Foam abuser!
I'm currently waiting on my motors for both this and the Su-37 from Grayson (got their parkjet combos). They should be here any day now.

Pat

Quick Reply