Thread Tools
Jan 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
Foam abuser!
crxmanpat's Avatar
tomhe,

Have you built one yet? I'm just wondering if I'm going to be the first to fly one. Any ideas on CG?

Pat
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2008, 09:36 AM
Registered User
tomhe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Have you built one yet? I'm just wondering if I'm going to be the first to fly one. Any ideas on CG?
No, I think that you might be the first to put one together. You can start with the same CG as the original series F/A-18. Check out the last page of the build instructions.
Jan 29, 2008, 03:36 PM
Foam abuser!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Thanks tomhe. I'll try it with that first then report my findings.

Pat
Jan 29, 2008, 03:46 PM
Registered User

The "original" FA-18


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhe
.................... You can start with the same CG as the original series F/A-18. ............
What and/or where is the "original" series? Is it easier or more difficult to build and fly than this?

thx,

LarryR : )
Jan 29, 2008, 03:52 PM
Foam abuser!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Larry,

The original series tomhe is referring to is the Steve Shumate design (he also did several others; F-15, F-4, T-38, Bandit, etc). These are the full built-up depron pushers, as opposed to this "Quick Build" series tomhe is doing. Follow the link he posted and it will take you the Shumate F-18 build manual.

To see al lthe planes offered, just go to www.6mmflyrc.com.

Pat
Jan 30, 2008, 01:27 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Blaze.45's Avatar
Tom, thank you for sharing your hard work.

-Chris
Jan 30, 2008, 01:33 AM
Registered User

OK, we're getting closer.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Larry,

The original series tomhe is referring to is the Steve Shumate design (he also did several others; F-15, F-4, T-38, Bandit, etc). These are the full built-up depron pushers, as opposed to this "Quick Build" series tomhe is doing. Follow the link he posted and it will take you the Shumate F-18 build manual.

To see al lthe planes offered, just go to www.6mmflyrc.com.

Pat
We're getting closer to the question that I couldn't quite formulate..... so THIS F-18 is SIMPLER/EASIER than the "other one"? That is what I wanted to know....... so I can choose the easiest one first.

thx,

LarryR : )
Jan 30, 2008, 01:51 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Blaze.45's Avatar
Yes Larry, this one is much simpler to build.

The trade-off is that this one has a profile fuselage, while the other has a full bodied fuselage. The other simply has a better cosmetic look.

This one will be much easier to build, hand launch, and fly.

-Chris
Jan 30, 2008, 02:57 AM
Registered User

Blushing, but gotta ask...............


Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Here you go Larry:............I'm thinking of using a Grayson Hobbies ParkJet motor combo in this and the Su-37 with an APC 6X5 prop.
Pat
Have you decided, or still thinking......................... did you mean the Grayson $19.99 or the $39.99 combo?

thx,

LarryR : )
Jan 30, 2008, 08:21 AM
Foam abuser!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Larry,

Yes to both.

Seriously though, I will most likely get the combo at $40. Where else can you get a hot little motor and matching ESC for that price? I love my Scorpion motors, but they don't have anything light with a high kv for this type of plane.

I got everything but the main body cut out last night. Tonight I'll do that and assemble the plane. More pics later.

Pat
Jan 30, 2008, 08:43 AM
Registered User
tomhe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I got everything but the main body cut out last night. Tonight I'll do that and assemble the plane. More pics later.
Looking forward to your pictures.
Jan 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
corsair nut's Avatar
tomhe...might just have to build this baby! im a big "bug" guy. keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing your hard work with us to play with!
Jan 30, 2008, 11:42 PM
Foam abuser!
crxmanpat's Avatar
tomhe,

I got all the parts cut out, and only found one minor flaw. You left off one slot for the rear most tab on the fuse profile just ahead of the prop canyon. Not a big deal and easy enough to cut out. See the pic I attached below.

Other than that, everything fits nicely. I like the new tab style you've used on this and the Su-37.

Pat
Jan 31, 2008, 12:44 AM
Foam abuser!
crxmanpat's Avatar
OK, here's a few pics of the cut out parts. I didn't have much time to work on it tonight, so none of it has been glued together yet. Since the vertical stabs and "intakes" are slanted like the F-22, I will make sure my slots and parts are angled so that the fit without warping the airframe.

I'm going to do linked in ailerons as well. You can see how much control surface area I cut out.

Pat
Jan 31, 2008, 01:33 AM
Registered User
tomhe's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I got all the parts cut out, and only found one minor flaw. You left off one slot for the rear most tab on the fuse profile just ahead of the prop canyon. Not a big deal and easy enough to cut out. See the pic I attached below.
Pat, thanks for pointing that out. I'll update the plans.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F-18 Super Hornet ParkJet RCParkflyer Pusher Prop Jet Models 19 Jun 02, 2007 11:34 PM
Sold F-18 Super Hornet papamac Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Feb 09, 2006 05:39 AM
6mmFlyRC's EDF 135% F-18E Super Hornet CBflyguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 8 Sep 13, 2005 09:37 AM
EAM F-18 Super Hornet- I'm scared!!! ttnissan Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Jun 16, 2003 04:00 PM
EJF - press releases, ejets.tv, F-18 ARF, F-18 Super Hornet for 90 mm EDF Robert Wagoner Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Jun 24, 2002 12:11 PM