Oct 26, 2008, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
does any one know what store has these and ships to canada?.

what kind of prop are you guys using im thinking of getting a folding 5x3 prop on a 10g brushless motor from hobbycity
4.7 x 2.3 seems to be the prop to go with I tried several with disssapointing results look at some of the videos here and on the discus thread.

With the UH 10 gram I found that anything over 5amp started to cook the motor the recomended 7x4 is a real no go|||

I have just got my new prop and waiting for the wind and rain to stop

Here is a few photos of my conversion the motor housing is a piece of 22mm overflow pipe. I Dremmeled it out a bit once mounted in the plane the tube still strengthens the nose (needs it with my flying)

Regards Jeff
Last edited by Upup; Oct 26, 2008 at 05:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2008, 05:41 AM
Happy Days
upup,
Nice tidy install.
Looks like the same motor and prop as mine.
Whats the AUW with a 2 and 3 cell pack?
Mine was 130g witha 2 cell and about 140g with a 3 cell.
I could lose the rudder servo as it's not used too much but it would be grieff to get it out and re-ballance.
Wanted to fly it today but weather is bad.
Just to let you know that I held the hatch down with an angled 1mm carbon rod at the frount and velcro at the back.
Just say this as yours is looking a bit proud at the frount and I recon it'll pull off at speed.
Dave
Oct 26, 2008, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark
upup,
Nice tidy install.
Looks like the same motor and prop as mine.
Whats the AUW with a 2 and 3 cell pack?
Mine was 130g witha 2 cell and about 140g with a 3 cell.
I could lose the rudder servo as it's not used too much but it would be grieff to get it out and re-ballance.
Wanted to fly it today but weather is bad.
Just to let you know that I held the hatch down with an angled 1mm carbon rod at the frount and velcro at the back.
Just say this as yours is looking a bit proud at the frount and I recon it'll pull off at speed.
Dave
Hi Dave motors being the same is why I asked you what prop you used after I had pointed you toward the 6x3 at UH (wrong choice/advice).

Not that I have had any speed out of , it the velcro holds so far but it was my intention to remove it and either magnet the front or a thin carbon rod into a small piece of tube.

I dont like the look with the front of the canopy sticking up proud that is for sure! I lost a bit of interest when the performance was so bad.

The weight runs at 90 gram empty plus 36grm 600 2s and 45grm 400 3s

I will keep the thread advise on its remaiden, I live in hope

BTW where is your COG (LE at root) I initaly cog at the glider points but found that MUCH to tail heavy

Regards Jeff
Last edited by Upup; Oct 26, 2008 at 06:15 AM.
Oct 26, 2008, 07:53 AM
wish they would come in a kit..
Oct 26, 2008, 08:06 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz
does any one know what store has these and ships to canada?.

what kind of prop are you guys using im thinking of getting a folding 5x3 prop on a 10g brushless motor from hobbycity
Your selection of prop and motor are ok but cant help with a stockist.
Oct 26, 2008, 08:13 AM
Good Better Best quest.

Upup

The plastic pipe idea used as a reinforced motor mount is one i've been using on foamies for a while ,i even use a varation using a turned alluminium tube in the nose of a Windrider Fox, i no longer worry about downthrust ect but use TX mix of throttle and elevator ,hooray for Spectrum but hate those trim switches.(they break)
Oct 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflier84
wish they would come in a kit..

They do you just have to put in a motor

Seriously if you can build a EZ* you can alter one of these, if you have a solder"gun" strip some earth wire out from a piece of cable and shape it into a half inch by 4" U replace the solder head you might have to bend some zic zads in the wire to make up the slop.

Place the wire on the foam ( have a little practice first on some polystyrene) and just click the trigger on and off to keep the wire hot enough to pentrate the foam.

That and some sharpened tubes and a scaple is all you need...easy

Little difference from moding a Ez* carbon in tail boom, enlarge rudder, mount FVP ect ect

Getting it to fly with some authority,in my case, another story

Regards Jeff
Last edited by Upup; Oct 26, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
Oct 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
The plastic pipe idea used as a reinforced motor mount is one i've been using on foamies for a while ,i even use a varation using a turned alluminium tube in the nose of a Windrider Fox, i no longer worry about downthrust ect but use TX mix of throttle and elevator ,hooray for Spectrum but hate those trim switches.(they break)
Me too... I have found a 35mm film case is just nice to turn a out runner into a "inrunner"

However I am new to spectrum, I am not happy to hear the trim switches break are parts easely available,thanks for thr heads up I will wrap the TX in cotton wool

Regards Jeff
Oct 26, 2008, 09:19 AM
Happy Days
35mm film ????? whats that.
Oct 26, 2008, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark
35mm film ????? whats that.
dunno my mum told me about it
Oct 26, 2008, 11:34 AM
35mm film can, now thats a simple idea. I have lots of them laying around!
Oct 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup
Me too... I have found a 35mm film case is just nice to turn a out runner into a "inrunner"

However I am new to spectrum, I am not happy to hear the trim switches break are parts easely available,thanks for thr heads up I will wrap the TX in cotton wool

Regards Jeff
Re DX6i trim switch.
It took a fair bit of use but ive heard others breaking ,if you get tempted to try and repair use an earthing strap as the TX board has to be removed and static charges can destroy im told. the part that breaks is not on the circuit board but the plastic assembly that presses the SMD micro switches on the boards,the simple fix can be reglueing the broken part and putting a fillet of glue on the inside corner of the break.
Oct 27, 2008, 04:52 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham 65
Another option for 1 cell operation is this device which boosts the voltage up to 5v from 1 cell to run rec+servos.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7884

Graham
I bought a couple of these and have 1 set up on a AR6100 running a 2 gram brushless into a gearbox driving a 4.5x4 prop via the 1 gram esc on a single cell full river 300Ma and its working fine ,more data if you require.
Oct 27, 2008, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
35mm film can, now thats a simple idea. I have lots of them laying around!

That is becuse I am a bit simple as well .......your welcome

Olmond ......thanks for the tip
Oct 28, 2008, 08:41 AM

flaperons?

Hello, has anybody thought of using flaperons (i think that's what they are called) when you have no elevator or rudder just use the flaps on the wings with a mix on the transmiter for control, like the system on a funjet? do you think this would work?

JB

Quick Reply