Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 04, 2008, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark
Hi guys, good stuff.
Can any one help me out. I'm doing a conversion to electric power.
I've got a great small outrunner of about 40watts. It is only 18mm in diameter with a shaft of 2mm. My problem is that I'm looking to fit a folding prop but can't find a suitable addaptor/spinner.

Any sugestions?

Dave
United hobbies do a 6x3 and 6x4 folder with a 2mm shaft hole you have to get a 2 or 3mm grub screw in the side hole to clamp it on but it is very cheap.
I have just ordered a few in different sizes that are on thier way with a 10 gram BL plus batteries & plush esc for my conversion.

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4330

I have used these before on another plane and taped out the locking hole to 3mm no problem, worth a little effort for a very cheap folder I even turned the blades on one to fit on a wing as a pusher , pop off the top section of the spinner take out the screw to access the hinges, it folded and worked fine
Last edited by Upup; Oct 04, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2008, 05:11 PM
Happy Days
Thanks for the help. Sorry should of said that I found one at Gliders last week.
Will post some photos soon.
Dave
Oct 04, 2008, 05:59 PM
Just flew it

Graham 65

I like your style! Very neat

Could you give a little more detail on, your elevator servo placement and the hollowing out method

Is your wingspan standard? It just looks a little sleeker than others, maybe because you haven't added extra material for ailerons

Did you consider trying to get the aileron linkages inside the fuse? Maybe there's just not enough room

I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, my plan, which may change when I see it in the flesh, is to slice horizontally out from the back of the wing to near the fin, mount the aileron servo using torque rods and an internal elevator servo where ever there is room with a carbon push rod running in guides inside the fuse:- exiting in front of the tailplane

I'm also hoping to set the motor into the nose, maybe using a holesaw to make the room and a lightply mount

Cheers Ian
Oct 05, 2008, 01:37 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys

Could you give a little more detail on, your elevator servo placement and the hollowing out method

Is your wingspan standard? It just looks a little sleeker than others, maybe because you haven't added extra material for ailerons

Did you consider trying to get the aileron linkages inside the fuse? Maybe there's just not enough room

I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, my plan, which may change when I see it in the flesh, is to slice horizontally out from the back of the wing to near the fin, mount the aileron servo using torque rods and an internal elevator servo where ever there is room with a carbon push rod running in guides inside the fuse:- exiting in front of the tailplane

I'm also hoping to set the motor into the nose, maybe using a holesaw to make the room and a lightply mount

Cheers Ian
check out the motor mount in this posting ,i use it on the fox as well.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925609
Oct 06, 2008, 12:35 PM

nice work!

that looks great. Your patience in hollowing out the nose is admirable. Are you gliding (thus the folder)?

I've just finished my wingeron glider version, maybe maiden today.

For the my kids though: anyone know a source for the super light brushless outrunners on this side of the pond? I might try my hand at a neat electric for the little ones.

thanks

Ben
Oct 08, 2008, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2cars2toys

Cheers Ian
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your kind comments.
The elevator servo is about 1" back from the trailing edge of the wing, upside down and sandwiched between two pieces of epp. The pushrod is 1.5mm carbon and has no extra support, could maybe use 1mm rod. The whole linkage was set up and glued in complete with the servo centered and elevator level.
The hollowing out was done with a sharp knife, also tried dremel, hot wire, file, drill etc. The knife used a bit at a time seemed best, the foam is very easy to work with just take it steady.
The wing is standard length, the hinges are just a thin bit of foam left after cutting the v shape out(living hinge?). Interesting idea to keep the arms inside the fuz, should be possible, would be very neat.
Your plan sounds good, try to get all the weight as far back as poss as the balance point is way back around 37mm back from the leading edge(41%!).
Re the motor mount could you cut your hole and glue the mount straight to the foam? Any weight up front is going to make cog awkward.
Keep us up to date with your build, its worth the effort, great little plane.
Graham
Oct 08, 2008, 01:17 PM

micro brushless outrunners from a UK source

skinnydoc was asking about BL outrunners.

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/baby_brushless.html

I've ordered one of the 18mm ones, which I plan to use to mod my fox. Only ordered yesterday tho, so they haven't arrived yet.

el_tel
Oct 08, 2008, 07:03 PM
Whats the smallest outrunner the Fox will fly well on??
Also, what's the weight of just the foam?
Thanks, Butch
Oct 08, 2008, 09:50 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Use your 1st mix, throttle with some down elevator
Oct 09, 2008, 04:45 AM
U.K. or New Zealand
Just about to convert a fox, what sort of lipo battery could anyone suggest bearing in mind that it will just be running two servos and no motor.

Cheers

DM
Oct 09, 2008, 05:44 AM
Good Better Best quest.
4 AAA eneloops =800Ma great in small gliders 5 AA =1800Ma in bigger ones
Oct 09, 2008, 07:25 AM
Given up counting
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi22
Just about to convert a fox, what sort of lipo battery could anyone suggest bearing in mind that it will just be running two servos and no motor.

Cheers

DM
I'm using a 350 mAh single cell lipo

Quick Reply