Dec 26, 2002, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Details on Eastbourne Monoplane

Got my 41 year old son a Dare Eastbourne Monoplane kit and goodies for XMAS. Are there any pics of instrument panel and other EM detailson the internet or other sources?

Also any lessons learned in building and flying this kit would be much appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2002, 09:04 AM
The Eastbourne is what got me hooked on electrics. Its a wonderful flier. Build it just as Pat Trittle has in the instructions and you'll be pleasantly surprised. While the construction looks frail, it is really quite robust. Its very much like building a stick/tissue rubber powered plane.
Fly it in light winds. I did fold a wing on mine pressing it at an club airshow in windy conditions. It went back together easily and is still in my hangar.
If you want to see a pic of mine please point your browser to-
http://home.rochester.rr.com/dottney.../myplanes.html
I was unable to find much in way of docs so I kind of winged it (no pun intended).
Hope this helps and please post pics went its done.
Dave
Dec 27, 2002, 11:08 AM
Thread OP

Dottney's Eastbourne

Thanks for the reply and encouragement, downloaded your pic previously. Did you make your wheels from Pat's plans? They look great.

Very little in way of EM pics on the net. Some sites cover 3-cyl Anzani and Bleriot reproductions. Did one of the E-Zoners get one of those British coffee table books on history of aviation with instrument panel or other pictures of this plane?
Dec 28, 2002, 01:28 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Thought I could help,but...

I have the same plans You do,.. Pat's from Aerocraft.. I did a search for the Eastbourne but couldn't find any cockpit detail. (I did find a 165lb 1/2 scale! but no instrument shots) I even went & found My old M.A.N. 1913 Blackburn monoplane plan, figuring you could "fudge" it from that one... but it has no instrument panel as well I have an old 1913 photo of Blackburn sitting in the cockpit of the Monoplane & I believe it shows the instruments.
It's in a "Historic Paper planes" Vol I Book I have, but it's currently in storage. The Blackburn had a steering wheel that looked like it came from a Model-"T" in it to perform the "wing-warping" If it will help, let Me know & I can dig it out & scan it in the next couple of days... Bob
Dec 28, 2002, 02:25 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Maybe This will help...

Here are the guage faces for a 1916 Morane Saulnier(as close as I could get to 1913) If You don't mind "fudging a panel They would be "fairly accurate. I'll post a pisture of the M/S to show it's lay-out. They didn't really have many gauges in '16.. let alone '13.
Most of the flying was done by the pants-seat.. Bob

PS: You can save thes Gauge images right from this post & reduce thier size to fit your plane & print them out with your printer... You can even use that sticky label paper and simply press on the dash. I'd suggest spraying them with clear Krylon as the printer ink is water soluble.
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Dec 28, 2002 at 02:39 AM.
Dec 28, 2002, 02:31 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Cockpit Layout 1916 M/S

Most of the gauges in the Moraine were mounted on the side, some nice deep gauge shells would probably look nice! If anyone squawks about it,tell em "how do You know,were You there?.. Did You Fly it?" or "This was Mr Eastbourne's personal customized aircraft"... Bob
Dec 28, 2002, 08:45 AM
E-
I made the wheels as per an aricle in one of the RC mags a couple of years ago. I can't remember whose design it was, it may have been Pat's. They are made of three layers of wood. The inner layer is thin light ply with notches for the spokes (fishing line). The outer layers are from some fairly hard balsa sanded to shape. Every once in while I put another touch up coat of paint on to clean them up.
Dave
Dec 28, 2002, 02:23 PM
Thread OP

Thanks Demon and Dottney

Still searching the web, lotsa stuff on Bleriots and Anzani engines, found an instruction manual in PDR for a large glow-powered Blackburn Mono. The instrument pics are great.
Thanks, again. Have instructions from Pat Tritle for building 3" spoke wheels for Eastbourne. My son wants me to build an Eastbourne so's we can "pylon race". So many kits and plans.....!
Dec 28, 2002, 03:24 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Say...

E-Challenged,... could You post a link to that one!? I have a nice set of Blackburn plans with no instrument panel,... Thanks! Bob
Dec 28, 2002, 03:46 PM
Thread OP

Blackburn Manual

Demon

e-mail me at [email protected], I'll send you a zipped file.
Dec 31, 2002, 10:43 AM
Thread OP

Details Unavailable

Pat Tritle sez that he was unable to find any instrument panel details on the Eastbourne,so, who is to say that your panel has wrong instruments,etc.
May 06, 2004, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Well...after a long interlude, we got it together and ready to cover. The model is fragile and breakable during the build but the plans and instructions and kit contents are very complete. Son (machinist) is going to build wire wheels using techniques shown in another thread. The old man contributed some "expert" techniques including sheeting the forward cowl in one piece using 1/64 ply, also made a "business card" shortened antenna as suggested by Mr Azarr. Will post pics soon
May 07, 2004, 08:46 PM
Model Aviation, the AMA's magazine, published an article for a free-flight version of the EM, which also included a detailed three-view. It seems that Peter Rake's version is a little different from Pat Tritle's, which is different from the AMA article's version.
May 14, 2004, 11:03 AM
Thread OP

Some Pics

Had to set Eclipse 7 transmitter to positive shift to match Hitec rcvr with Airtronics shift. Cirrus micro servos are notchy. Coming together great. Will add pics of final rigged model next week. Very complete kit and instructions.

Pictures

Williams Bros pilot, blended into a balsa box that fits over the end of the HE-1100 8-Cell pack, Velcro on end of pack and inside of pilot box. Pic of Tail showing figure 8 sewn hinges. Pic of "business card" antenna with short end hidden in fuselage, good range.

Shouldas

Use basswood for sturdier leading and trailing edges. Make sure everything is working right before covering servo access.

Had to remove tissue over servos to reset rudder horn position. ( Don't cover yours until you are sure everything is working right)
May 16, 2004, 05:19 PM
E-Challenged,

I hope the material I e-mailed your son was useful.

Jim R

Quick Reply