Aug 24, 2010, 03:47 PM
I see that! Really inspiring! And, even better, he gives all the details on the drive system he wound up using and prop. That saves anyone else from the expense and time of the learning curve. Super build thread!

You could just about put a kid in there! (OK, maybe the neighbor's cat would be a better idea instead!)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2010, 06:41 PM

Dumas 6v motor

Thanks for the reply Ed and Ozoneone, I will check out Mack when I find out what Comes in the kit for running hardware and I will report back. Thanks for the replys. Respectfully John G.

P.S I have been bitten by the boat bug now that I have a new Moterboat I can chase my models when things go south
Aug 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
"A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into."

I think that's how the old saying goes!

{:>)
Aug 28, 2010, 02:27 PM

Recover my kit

Greetings group I recieved my kit yesterday and despite the huge Fold in the box (thanks UPS) the contents are safe. The kit came with a brass tube
for drive with no bushings and a crapy plastic prop. The wood is warped on some of the frames and in need of lots of sanding. The directions and plans are terrific with a great jig for assembling the hull frame. I would say it's a nice kit overall and well engineered. I will be starting the hull planking tomorrow. Respectfully John G.
Aug 28, 2010, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
John,

Looking forward to you starting a build log; post lots of pictures.

Ed
Aug 31, 2010, 09:07 AM
jda
jda
Fossil builder
Ed, My LNVT is in need of a re-do. The interior got a good soaking down in FL at an Orca's pond day. This was a result of having put in the scuppers which allowed water to enter the hull. Thought I had dried it out and I put more epoxy inside to "further waterproof the interior". Instead I trapped moisture in the planking and when the boat got out into the hot TN sun the moisture worked its way out to the outside,blistering the paint job. So at some time in the near future I will be sanding down the hull and maybe doing an upgrade on the motor. Like your first experiments with propulsion I am not entirely satisfied with its top speed. What did you end up with in the way of a motor and prop? jda
Aug 31, 2010, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
jda,

I am using the Dumas 6v motor that turns at 5000 rpm. So to increase the speed I removed the 6v battery and installed a 7.2v sub C battery pack. You have a choice of replacing the motor ( to a higher rpm ) or using a higher voltage battery pack. It is not necessary to change to another prop. I changed mine to a 4 blade prop of the same size because that is what the full size boat has.

The Dumas 6v motor with a 7.2v battery pack gets it up to scale speed.

Ed
Aug 31, 2010, 12:06 PM
jda
jda
Fossil builder
Thanks Ed, I will try the 7.2 Nicad pack and see what happens. jda
Jan 10, 2011, 07:27 PM

Lnv windows

Greetings I have been done with my lnv except for the windows and a few details . I tried to install the stock window material but it looks very artificial,what materials did you all use to make them look so natural? The included material wrinkles to easy. I have been a bad boy and started my billings calypso kit before finishing the tug,I couldn't resist. Hope to get some pics up soon but I can only access the net with my iPod for now. Thanks for any replys John G.
Jan 10, 2011, 07:51 PM
Thread OP
John,

It's been a long time since I finished the LNV Tug. I found the box it came in and looked through it, but could not find a piece of the material I used. I believe I bought some thin clear plastic at a hobby shop. Sorry I could not be more specific.

Ed
Jan 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
jda
jda
Fossil builder
John, I had purchased N guage rails from a local hobby shop and after annealing, I used the rails for the window casings. That allowed me to use some thin acrylic sheeting for the window glass. If I had to do it over I might use wooden frames. A lot of work went into forming those metal frames. jda
Mar 15, 2011, 01:12 PM

Stem Cap

How did you bend the stem cap or did you laminate brass pieces? I am really stumped.
Clif Martin
Mar 15, 2011, 03:37 PM

Pic's ???

jgg12002, how bout some dang pics ? I have an "altered" LNVT, so Ime always looking for other builds... I am still a newbie, so anything I can see helps....
Mar 15, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Clif,

I installed the stem cap on the bow of the boat by using Zap-A-Gap medium ca (gap filling formula). I started by gluing one end and hit it with Zip Kicker accelerator, then I used a narrow strip of an old towel that was soaked in water and rung out, I laid it over the area that needed to be bent and set an old iron on top of the wet towel to steam the wood. When it was soft enough I would bend it in place and glue it with ca. I would do a little at a time until the curve was completed.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Nov 27, 2018, 06:02 AM

Great craftsmanship

Fantastic job Ed. I am starting my kit. In report 17, what did you use to make the trim around the deck boards?

Jake

Quick Reply