Jan 20, 2008, 03:35 AM
albertocvr
Thread OP
Discussion

folding prop for easy-star

Here you can see how a folding prop with a small rubber band works in easy-star plane . It reduces drag when gliding ..

to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2008, 08:26 AM
Live FPV or Die
Alberto,
your plane have many interesrting feature for an expert eye

Tell us more about which part you used for your folding prop, I want one too.
How do you proceed to flatten your wingtip, look to be well made

nice looking camera

nice long ailerons, mine are too short
Jan 21, 2008, 01:21 AM
Very brilliant idea!! I mean the folding prop and the ping pong ball over the camera!!! I'll have to copy those ideas!!!
Jan 21, 2008, 03:04 AM
albertocvr
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
Alberto,
your plane have many interesting feature for an expert eye

Tell us more about which part you used for your folding prop, I want one too.
How do you proceed to flatten your wingtip, look to be well made

nice looking camera

nice long ailerons, mine are too short

To flatten the wing tip I used a hear-drier and one of those old fashioned water bags ,you fill it with boiling water and put it over the wing tip.
The folding prop is one of those used in sailplanes , 8x4.5 in my case (motocalc) , axi 22/12/20 (1150Kv) motor with 2500mah 3s Lipos , and of course elevated motor position. Max 10amps and aprox 4 amps at cruise speed ( 1 dot over half throttle ) .
The rubber band ,helpīs to fold the prop , and also you need to select the brake option in your motor controller .
It really helpīs ,and the plane glide much better ..
Last edited by albertocvr; Jan 21, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
Jan 21, 2008, 03:11 AM
albertocvr
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
Very brilliant idea!! I mean the folding prop and the ping pong ball over the camera!!! I'll have to copy those ideas!!!
I used the ping-pong ball cover in all my fpv planes and it supposed to helpīs aerodynamics , even if a sphere is not the best way aerodynamics , but you can see a similar arrangement in police helicopters cameras ..
Jan 21, 2008, 03:48 AM
4amps at cruise speed?! Wow! You must get some insane flight times.Should be getting 35-45mins on a 2500mah battery if you're at cruising throttle all the time.

I put my wing tips in the laundy trough full of hit water than put some weight on them, really smoothed them out
Jan 21, 2008, 04:02 AM
albertocvr
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris
4amps at cruise speed?! Wow! You must get some insane flight times.Should be getting 35-45mins on a 2500mah battery if you're at cruising throttle all the time.

I put my wing tips in the laundy trough full of hit water than put some weight on them, really smoothed them out
Yes ,I fly for 30-35 min with a god reserve , but not at mach 1 , ja ,ja.
Jan 21, 2008, 07:34 AM
Live FPV or Die
I will try the ping-pong ball too!

I'm surprise to heard your method of flatting wing. i tried first with that method of hot water, and the Elapor at the surface of the wing immediatly bubble (or extend) before I was able to get the interior enough hot. Anyway i discovered they can be flatten by using my finger only, i progressively make them flat by twisting them, and they kept the new form.
Jan 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yes the hot water bottle is the best method I ever heard so far!!! I always used hot water over the laundry room sink. Kind of wet and annoying method!
Jan 22, 2008, 04:12 AM
Dennis, your water is too hot! you need it much cooler hehe.

I've found that foam planes tend to be very malleable after after being in the australian sun for 30 mins or so. If i leave a plane support on one wing in my garage then it bends too

I think what we really need to find out is just what temperature does elapor become soft enough to work?
Jan 22, 2008, 04:29 AM
Elapor foam is most malleable at 160F (71C).
Any hotter and the cells will bubble up. I can heat a pot of water
to exactly that temp, just hold the foam in the pot, take it out
and work the foam to shape. It's great for fixing the nose when it
gets dorked in and bent out of shape. If you can heat up the whole nose,
and then massage it a bit, it'll return to good as new. I've done the same
with wing tips and wing roots on my EZ Glider.

ian
Jan 22, 2008, 05:24 AM
great info daemon!
Jan 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
Live FPV or Die
Thank you Daemon, usually I put my Easystar in garbage because it have a bent nose and not able to redress it, I will no what to do next time

Quick Reply