Dec 25, 2002, 11:29 AM
Thread OP

Which plane is right for me?

Hi, i'm new to these forums, and its been a couple of years since i've last flown rc gliders. My 2 metre brolga was destroyed in a moving accident, so i salvaged my simple 2 ch radio gear, and moved on.

Now i'm back, and looking for something along the lines of a park-flyer (EP), or a hand launched glider. Something that can take abuse, and would function as a good trainer.

I always loved the idea of having a zagi wing, but never found a suitable slope to fly on (damned trees...theyre everywhere), and i love the idea of being able to fly something in my local park.

My 10 year old brother got this groovey little E-Charger intruder plane, and it got me wanting to buzz around the park. Unfortunately his little plane has as much real control as a paper plane, so i'm yearning for something i can control.

I might have to go buy some 4ch radio gear too, because having throttle control seems important with these things...is there a cheap-but-good radio out there? Can i get away with 2ch and a HLG?

All opinions will be appreciated...what should i get?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2002, 12:23 PM
Try the new Aerobird, i have heard lots of reviews that it is a good plane so i got one myself, im wating to charge my batteries for it right now for my first flight

Check Lakedudes post for more info on the Aerobird.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&pagenumber=1
Dec 25, 2002, 12:23 PM
If you like Zagi's so much, isnt there a powerd Zagi?
Dec 25, 2002, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
Ooh, i like the aerobird from what i've seen. I've seen these planes without pitch control before, and that sorta put me off...

Nice. A parkflyer my little brother should be able to handle with a little tuition.

Now, just to find one in my country....ugh.
Dec 26, 2002, 12:52 AM
The plane flies great. it is pretty easy to fly.

No pitch threw me of the Firebird Xl too. Luckely, the aerobird came out right when i found out about the hobby and wanted to give it a try.
Dec 26, 2002, 09:13 AM
Thread OP
mm..

I like the aerobird (Price is 170 US with spare batt.), but i can't use the radiogear in other planes, for when i advance.

Might splash out on some 4ch radio gear (i wont need more as the most i will do is EP planes and gliders), but which to get? the JR quattro seems ok, so does the futaba skysport. Will these do, and do they need external v-tail mixers?

If i chance upon 360 AUD, i might splash out on an aerobird...but thats pretty unlikely. :/
Dec 26, 2002, 05:09 PM
Hi Cubit. Depending on how large of area you have and if you'll be able to fly when it's calm, you may want to consider something like a GWS Tigermoth, for small areas and light winds. Or if you like Zagi's why not a 400X if you have the space for it?

With either the Tigermoth or Zagi you would be able to use the same radio gear in other planes.

To give you an idea of what available in Zagi's check out this site:
www.cliffwhitney.com/atlantahobby/ they have complete combos available with batteries, radio or even charger if you like.

Here is a source for the Tigermoth and Aerobird in Australia:
www.ozeflight.com.au/category106_1.htm

Welcome to the EZone!

BC
Dec 27, 2002, 04:14 AM
Thread OP
I found the GWS dream starter pack at that ozeflight.com.au store. It looks perfect for what i need (cept maybe i need a bigger batt.), and is fairly priced for what you get. I have seen the same kit for 100 US though (its 280 AUD, or 150US at ozeflight) in the USA.

If any aussies out there find the gws set for less than 280, PM me please

Now, im trying to find a suitable parkflyer. I rarely get no wind around here, there always seems to be a few knots coming from the coast, so i can't use the tigermoth or other indoor craft. I'm also used to thermalling, so my ideal plane would be a powered glider, like the zagi 400x. My choice is that because of the indestructibility too, i love an invincible plane

Along the lines of an aerobird-like plane, there is the graupner tipsy, which seems like an easy leaner kind of plane, though without the ability of the zagi. Has anyone reviewed the tipsy?

Once again, thanks for the help, getting closer
Dec 28, 2002, 10:46 AM
Hi Cubits, the Tipsy is a very popular plane. If you do a search for it you will find lots of flight reports and tips in the foamies forum.

Another shop you might check with is www.kellettshobbies.com , the site doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to so maybe and email would work better.

BC

Quick Reply