de havilland venom - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 25, 2002, 02:03 AM

de havilland venom

Well i've been working off and on for the past few days on this jet and thought I would share my project with everyone.

Its from the latest Flying Scale Models magazine(vol.6 No.35) it is based on Chris Golds plan for a SP400 motor(pusher).

It's not an edf , but if everything goes smooth with flying the pusher , my next one will be for the MF 480, with brushless setup.

The one in the picture will be powered with a Mega 16/15/3, and 7 or 8 cells.

I would like to know if anybody is flying one of these, and what to expect when I make my first flight.

thanks

ryan d.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2002, 02:53 AM
Ryan,
I've scratch built a couple of Vampires which are similiar. They fly great! You won't have a problem and your going to love this plane.
Here's a link to the second one I built for Gregg. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=Vampire

Good luck with it and please post more pics as you go.

Merry Christmas!
Steve
Dec 25, 2002, 02:55 AM
here's the plane's
Last edited by U812; Dec 25, 2002 at 02:58 AM.
Dec 25, 2002, 02:58 AM
Gregg's
Dec 25, 2002, 10:02 PM
Steve,

wow,your vampires look great, I will start working more on it after I get back from visiting relatives, I'm supprised on how easy the construction is, anyway I will post more pics as I move on.

Thanks,

ryan d.
Dec 29, 2002, 10:06 PM
Starting to come together, just finished the rudders, elev and the first part of the main hatch, I still have to make the canopy, then I will start the fake intakes, although i think the intakes will cause some drag, but they are nessacery for the scale look, I will probably make some air holes inside of the intakes that lead into the fuse to keep things cool.

I'll keep them comming as I make progress, this is a pretty easy model to build, some of you guys should give it a try, or at least buy the issue for the free plan.
Dec 29, 2002, 10:08 PM
one more
Dec 29, 2002, 10:22 PM
Good job Ryan, keep it up!
Steve
Dec 29, 2002, 10:42 PM
Thanks steve,

I'm really enjoying building this jet

I wanted to get your opinion on my power setup, do you think this is going to be too much power for this little jet, Also It's my first brushless, and I wanted to hear what some of you think about how I've decided to connect my motor to esc (will this work , or should I just soder the wires. It's the mega 16/15/3 motor.

thanks

ryan d.
Dec 29, 2002, 11:50 PM
Your power set up is fine. More than enough power. I'm only flying mine on a 480 race an it moves out well. Soldering the controller is always better, but I think the conectors will be fine.

What's the wing span and weight?

Steve
Dec 30, 2002, 12:00 AM
steve,

the wingspan is 33.5 inches, and the weight with everything except the 3 servos and reciever in it is 16 oz, I'm thinking i might shoot for 21 oz after paint and everything, does this sound like a good weight to shoot for?

thanks

ryan
Dec 30, 2002, 12:16 AM
I think you'll be fine. Mine has a 40 inch span at 28 oz. It leaps out of my hands. You have the power.
Steve
Dec 30, 2002, 08:38 PM
smug in granny panties

Too Funny

I'm glad this thread is on here. I was bored last night ans decided to make one of these. But wasn't sure where to post it . Now I know! LOL Anyway it's the plans one but I made it out of 1.5 LB Foam. Traced the basic shape, but then I used a hole saw to hollow it out before I cut out hatch and shaped fuse. Gonna scrap the solid wing and make it out of built up 1/4 x1/4 sticks or Tissue and 3/8" foam. Best of all what you see here took only an hour. I'm going for super light and a 480 in it. Right now it weights 1/2 an ounce and I really want an allup weight of 9-10 oz on Hecells.
Dec 30, 2002, 08:51 PM
smug in granny panties

nudder pic

Exscuse the mess. I used a 1 1/2" hole saw through 2" foam. I ran it high so it would carve out under the hatch for me while I was at it leaving the bottom thicker. I'll then coat the whole thing with 50/50 elmers water and tissue. You can't imagine how light this thing is, well steve can cause his 104 was like this also. And i had brain damage when I stated AUW I meant to say 9-10 oz for complete plane plus the 5 ounce or so for batts. So AUW 14-15oz, Thats if things stay light like they are. Who know's i might keep it light enough to run CP cells! The Mirage you see in the background was built this way and it weighs 18oz AUW with 8 CP1300's in it. It hauls. I might do Depron wings on the Venom while I'm at it instead of Foam and tissue.

Barry
Dec 30, 2002, 09:04 PM
smug in granny panties

last shot

OK last shot looks good for an hour of work. And it's light enough for EDF-50 if I wanted to, hmmm or my Astro Fan?

Barry
Last edited by monkamarm2000; Dec 30, 2002 at 09:08 PM.