Jan 18, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Question

Speed 1.5 /Nan Models. Alex Mini 1.5 setup question

Does any one have the recommended CG and control throws for a Speed 1.5 / Alex Mini 1.5?
Last edited by Broncomech; Jan 19, 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: add information to title
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hey Dave: Nice plane ! Is this yours or Ray's? Lets hope for some wind this weekend as I'd like to see this maiden.

+/- 5mm for the ruddervator is a good starting point - maybe have a dual rate switch w/+/- 7mm but not much more than that or it'll be flick city.

Check out Tom's setup page on F3x.com -- most of the planes are set up with similar throws and 60" planes don't need or like much throw on ruddervator.

Can't help ya w/the CG,

Kurt
Who says DS mode on CRRCSIM is a blast
Jan 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Kurt,

Hoping for some wind myself. Just have some reservations throwing her over the rocks :P

Ray
Jan 18, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
No maiden this weekend, even if the wind howls.
Still waiting on servos to arrive, FedEx ground is slow this week. I got the Speed unwrapped tonight so it is a ways from first flight. I still need to figure out where all the electronics are going to be placed and construct ballast system, think I will give Target's home rolled tube a shot.
Tom's setup page does not contain any info on the speed seres ships and no information was shipped with it so I am hoping someone here on RCG has some info they can share, the main thing is getting a good starting point for CG.
Jan 18, 2008, 09:57 PM
You guys have a pair of them, then? Sweet

(Gotta have a pair to go up against those rocks on a maiden with a crunchie, that's for sure. But, you guys toss off your woodies all the time - same thing !)

There's got to be a build thread on the Speed series out there somewhere? Or, check for SPider 60 threads...

Here's another speed 1.5 thread

or, this one.

Dave: It's dremel time!

Jan 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
No dremel yet, I can't seem to locate any useful info on building this bird. I have seen CG ranges from 65 to 100mm for Spider 60s which many say are the same thing. That is a bit too large a range to be useful for establishing a start point. I sent e-mail to the manufacturer this am will wait and see if they provide any info.

Dave
who got no stinking instructions
Jan 19, 2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Dave:

Looks like Sunday might be a good day for the Costco hill...
Last edited by KurtMc; Jan 19, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Jan 19, 2008, 12:12 PM
I have the CG at 70mm on mine and it behaves itself very well at that position. There are many occasions when I fly in VERY light lift conditions and with quite a lot of down flap to increase lift and it has never flicked on me.

Incidentally you've forgotten that the model is also known as a Toplight (from Frankemodelbau) and an X-Race (from Airtech in France)
Mine is a hybrid of the two ever since I mid aired with Tims Dragon!
Jan 19, 2008, 12:37 PM

Speed/Spider 60 set-up

Go to Soaring USA sight, click on 1.5 sailplanes, then on Spider 60, scroll to bottom and click on the set-up sheet on right. Shows CG range and control throws.
Don
Jan 19, 2008, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the information I will check Soaring USA those manufacturers sites as well, might just get lucky and find a build thread or some sort of instructions.

Dave
Jul 21, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Dave,

I also got Alex mini 1.5 from NAN Models when they came Turkey for the last F3J WC.. I really like the plane but almost no hardware ( just servo covers only ) This is the new version Carbon D Box wing (good for DS) but my problem is how will I make aileron & flap connections ?? no metal pushrod end or similar equipment !!
One of my friend have Alex mini here but old version just 2 servo flaperons on wing but mine for 4 servos (flap & aileron seperate)..

How was your kit hardware?? did you have any connection parts? and please if have pictures of your wing and servo setup please let me see...
Thanks

Oscar
Turkey
Jul 21, 2008, 10:55 PM
Thread OP
Hi Oscar,
The linkage provided with the kit consisted of the brass horn shown in the pics and a short piece of control rod with one end threaded. I did not like the slop in the Z bend to servo control horn so I built my own push rods using a couple of 2-56 threaded brass couplers with a small piece of threaded rod soldered in and a clevis on each end. The servo end was soldered after the trim was set as there is no room for a jam nut, clearance between the cover and the clevis is tight but it works.
The tail surface hardware consists of two brass balls with nylon links to fit, and the push rods installed in the fuselage. Be careful with the mounting posts on the elevons they are easily broken if side loaded, good thing they are easily fixed with CA.

Dave.
Last edited by Broncomech; May 23, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Jul 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks Dave for your quick reply & nice pics..

my problem the kit that I bought have no linkage and brass horn..for that reason I will have to find a solution for connection..

Anyway how is your Alex flying? you enjoy it? and do you have any recomendation such as: c.g. , tarvel adjusts (flaps,ailerons,etc.) and also do you have nice pics of Alex with you and flying pics..

Thanks best regards

Oscar
Turkey
Jul 22, 2008, 04:20 AM
Surf's up!!
Hey Oscar
I set my Spider 60 (same plane, different name) up per the set-up sheet, with the exception of the ailerons, more travel, I like them very sensitive.
I am attaching the set-up sheet from Soaring USA for the Carbon version.

As for mine, I really enjoy it, it has a very wide speed range. I have flown it in as little as 12mph and in 30-35mph, without ballast. It just loved it. Mine weighs 21 oz with the 2 servo wing, I am running the HS-125's in the wing for ailerons and the HS-65HB's in the fuse for the elevators. An Electron 6 RX and a AAA 700mah battery. Mine came with hardware, but the hardware for the ailerons was less than desirable, so I changed that hardware. You can pick up the aileron brass horns at Esprit Model here-- http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2554

On the linkage for the elevator, if you can find threaded ball links for it, make sure to use some dish washing detergent on the threads, they will thread in without resistance, or without breaking the posts on the elevator. They will stay in also, they won't back out.

I can post pics of mine tomorrow night if you would like.
Oh and the Soaring USA website for the carbon 4 servo wing Spider/Alex
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=257

Happy Flying
Chip
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Jul 22, 2008 at 04:25 AM.
Jul 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks Chip,
it helps me a lot and also I would like to see your pics too of course..

Oscar

Quick Reply