Jan 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Thread OP
Alert

Spencer Just went 313 mph New world record!!

I just got word that Spencer flew his 100" Kinetic to 313 mph at Norco Hill..

WOW! That's Smokin Fast<<Congrat's spencer,,you da man

I also heard that it was picked up on the experimental Falcon radar,,
seems like the new gun is working Good..

Nick
Last edited by Jantar2A; Jan 17, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2008, 03:00 PM
407mph P.B...Going 4 500mph!

Congrats to Spencer for upping his own world record of 309 to 313!!

No wayyyyyyyyy.....Big ups to Spencer!!!! Way to go man!!!!! Congrats...wow....I knew someone was going over 310 today at Norco, had a feeling this morning. Keep pushing it....320+ haha

Props Spencer on discovering the new gun, and your design of the one and only world record Kinetic 100"

Keep pushing the limits everyone!!!! 313mph, wow, I'm still shocked and amped!!!

Joe
Jan 17, 2008, 03:06 PM
301MPH!
Jason L just called and said it`s smoken fast today! Congrats Spencer and to all the people who up there personal best speeds! We all need big planes!!
Doug Rubin
Jan 17, 2008, 03:45 PM
speedfreek
Wow!!

The first to break the 500km/h barrier! 503km/h is bloody fast!

Congrats.
Jan 17, 2008, 04:34 PM
Great job Spencer and congratulations! How did the gun work, did it pick up all your passes..???

Dennis
Jan 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
RC LIFER
Congratulations Spencer! I'm lucky to have been present and on one of the radars for 3 of your world record runs. It's just awesome. These planes are making the craziest sounds. Way to dig!

The new gun still misses most passes, funny how it seems to actually pick up more consistently around 300 and faster, Spencer noted that it's probably proximity related,. In any case, it caught that one pass that it needed to take the WR past the realm of the Stalker Pro.
Jan 17, 2008, 06:02 PM
Great job Spencer, Congrats on your accomplishment
Jan 17, 2008, 06:07 PM
Definitely a fun time out there today but like yesterday, winds were on and off with the really good stuff lasting only a brief time. There were a couple of points today where folks had to scratch for lift just to stay up on the frontside... Not the typical SA event at Norco, but I'm not complaining

Unforutnately, the gun still doesn't work like we'd all like it to.

It will catch about 40-50% of passes if they're very close to the gun. The problem is that the faster you go, the harder it is to be that close to the gun while aiming straight at the gun. Its really frustrating to be the gunner with the Falcon. You get 'no read' after 'no read' and you're trying like hell. When a pass comes by really close, though, it gives the speed. Often, the gun will not catch the plane at the bottom turn when the plane is lined up, but catches it as it gets closer but the alignment isn't good any good. In these cases, you get the lower / vector deficient speed reported. If you luck up and get the plane straight in and close, though, it always reports the same speed as the Stalker +/1 mph.

I've put about as much aluminum tape on the Kinetic as I dare to try to help with the weak radar reflection... I got some conductive Nickel paint to try if this problem persists.

http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,358.htm

Spencer
Jan 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
The thought of having to come in closer and straighter to the gun
at 300+mph is just terrifying. I'll bet the new rock wall up there got some use.

Well now you can go back to this gun manufacturer and say
"Your gun now holds the world record in our sport, but we need way more
range and sensitivity to go any faster, safely."

ian
Jan 17, 2008, 08:47 PM
right on spencer keep up the good work. norco has got a 300 or better on every good wind days this year and looks to be the best hill for big glass planes glad joe found it.hopefully there will be quite a few more wind events in the next 2 months.
Jan 17, 2008, 09:04 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Pretty cool... Did anybody get video?

JOe
Jan 17, 2008, 10:20 PM

Nice Job Spencer...

NO Vid. Marc had some issues and could not make it today.

That was something to see and hear.

The sounds today were insane!

Chris
Jan 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
IT was very fun watching these guys go smoking fast!! I've been around since the beginning of DS-- and there's NO COMPARISON to what's happening now! These planes are SOO stable-- and capable of going even faster in the right conditions-- but it's true- VERY DANGEROUS! At the speeds I was watching today-- MOST pass's over 250mph -- the planes are moving so quickly- there's not time to even think about ducking if something went wrong.

Still, watching the best pilots'-- you can easily see why some go very fast very quickly-- Joe Manor and Spencer are really consistant and smooth-- other's just do not find the line as often.

Jason's Thundertaker is really fast and stable-- like Spencer's Kinetic and Joe's Dynamic's!! Then the V-tail Opus's--while very fast-- do NOT exhibit the same stability as the X-tail and T-tail planes. V-tails-- DON'T track as well.
BIG PROPS SPENCER--- JOE AND JASON!! Great planes-- great designs!!! Very fun watching you!!!
Tim
Jan 18, 2008, 02:17 AM
Go Faster!!
I was down in the setup area when Spencer was doing his record run. The air on the back between my sight and Spencer's circles was dead calm. The 100" Kinetic was just pounding the air! You could feel the air compression as the plane ripped through the shear! I just stood there with my mouth open and all of a sudden I could hear all the guys on top of the hill giggling like a bunch of school girls. I knew that the record had just fallen, (Spencer's own record) how fast I yelled... 313MPH!! Whoo Hoo! It was the sickist DS sound I have ever heard. Way to go Spencer!
Jan 18, 2008, 04:05 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Huge congrats Spencer!!

Amazing thumbs, and an amazing plane.

Eric

Quick Reply