Dec 24, 2002, 01:35 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Thread OP

How to get started in Li-Polys?

Happy Holidays All,
It has been suggsted at here that I might want to try Li-Polys. .
So how do I get started? Currently using 8.4volt, 300maH NiMH and thereabouts.
What charger is best and will 'grow' with me?
I'm not big on large #s of battery packs as can usually only manage a couple of flights after dinner (don't have the spare time). So rather spend the money on quality.
Thru searches I see some Li-polys have protection circuitry built in. Is this the way to go? Though my brother and father are electrical engineers I have very limited skill and knowledge in this field. So the less I'd have to do as far as wiring, etc. the better.
And where should I purchase from??
I asked same questions at Battery/Chargers Forum but figure I'll also ask all my friends here.
Thanks in advance for any help.
-David-
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2002, 02:21 PM
MKH
MKH
Start by going to www.fmadirect.com and look at the specs on the Kokam batteries, and read the info in their support section. This will go a long way towards answering your questions. Also good info at www.b-p-p.com
MKH

BTW, be careful about same postings in multiple forums. Its sorta against the rules.
Dec 24, 2002, 04:16 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
You will need a charger. Since you want it to 'grow' as you get into it more, I suggest the '1,2 and 3 cell Lithium-Ion Polymer Charger ' from wildrc.com

I have had this one for 6 months, and it charges the smallest single cells I use, and also the multiple 1020 mah packs for the bigger planes and helicopters. It costs about $50. It uses jumpers (clearly marked) to set it for 1,2 or 3 cells in series, and another jumper for settings for 100 to 1000 mah cells. It is tiny, and fits, with all the connectors for different setups, into a 2 x 3 x 1/2" box that a BEC came in...

BTW, the LiPoly equivelent to your 8.4 V x 300 mah battery is about 13 grams
Dec 24, 2002, 04:50 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Thread OP
Thanks Mike,
WOW 14 grams!! I guess that's why all the packs I see are for higher maH's. Longer duration for about the same weight or less than NiMH for same voltage, no?
I still have many questions. Esp. about my need to do any wiring and protection circuits. Tried a search in Bat/Chargers but couldn't find anything helpful. Most discussion was 6 months old and kinda scary! But I know many use Li-Poly's regularly now.
Thanks Troy,
You may just here from me once I get things better figured out.
Dec 24, 2002, 05:29 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
NOPE

Each cell has a full of 4.2v, and an empty of 3v, so you only need like 2-3 cells

MUCH LIGHTER

Josh
Dec 24, 2002, 05:42 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
I have destroyed cells by running them down, but that was stupidity (leaving the switch ON after flying) not just flying. They usually let you know when it is time to come in because they do lose significant power long before the danger point is reached. These don't have the fire/explosion potential of the LiIon batteries.
Dec 24, 2002, 06:40 PM
Hi DW, welcome to a brave new world of LiPo...hehe. I love them!
A great place to get your packs premade is www.lightflightrc.com they have great service and a really well made battery. Also www.b-p-p.com (have not bought from him yet but from what I have read and seen sounds like a very good company) should be stocking some of there batteries pre-made soon too. Both sites have great chargers also. I have not got the charger from bishop yet but have used the small 15v charger from lightflightrc and like it better than either one of my $200.00+ chargers. Bishop's charger looks like it is going to fill a much needed sweet spot in the industry though too, cant wait to get one and try it. Also I hve no protection cir. on the Batt side just the charger side, this is just the way I like to use them. I use a programable BEC to set a cutoff so I dont have to worry about draining them down to far. Both chargers I mentioned have the protection circuit, And correct me if I am wrong, but believe Bishop is going to be offering a temo protection circuit soon too.
Just my .02 worth

Merry Christmas
Kevin P
Dec 24, 2002, 07:11 PM

Li Poly Chargers

Hi D W,

Merry Christmas!!

The main difference in a charger and one for Li Poly cells is that there is no trickle charge for the Poly cells. They turn off!

I have the little Potensky LiIon charger. It serves my purposes well. I don't have a need to get several things charged quickly. After flying, I put the used 2 cell pack on to charge. Next morning I may check to see if anything will take a charge. There is usually nothing needing a top-up charge.

Someone already pointed out that if you note any slowing or lack of power, get in quickly. No need to harm the pack.

I really like these things! My TM thinks they are simply the best!

Merry Christmas!!!

Roger

Quick Reply