Thread Tools
Jan 16, 2008, 09:20 PM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Canon A570IS Image Stabilization Effect and Camera Mount Comparison - VIDEO


A560 is cheaper but has no IS.
Here is a video where I compare two motor mounting position on a Magpie Slow Fly with ailerons using Canon A570 IS set to "continous". Wind 20mph + gusty, on the beach.

http://www.zorrik.org/media/flying/Magpie_A570is.wmv
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2008, 01:33 AM
Studies the wind
ghoti's Avatar
I think your prop badly needs balancing. Bill
Jan 17, 2008, 01:55 AM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
I think your prop badly needs balancing. Bill
It's the scorpion motor, actually. It was brand new and I never hit it but the rotation goes off center a bit (you can see it in the casing moving up and down) and it transfers to the prop.

In any case, how do you balance a rigid plastic prop?
Jan 17, 2008, 02:37 AM
Got the Fever
ppatron's Avatar

Need to dampen that vibration


Looks like you need to isolate the vibration from your camera. Set your camera on a soft foam and some rubberband (not too tight) and give it another try.

Check out this video. You can see the plane take off at full power with the video on. The camera is on a pendulum mount and that takes care most of the vibrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOjKFB64tNY

Paul
Jan 17, 2008, 05:35 AM
Its all fun
Tonystott's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
A560 is cheaper but has no IS.
Here is a video where I compare two motor mounting position on a Magpie Slow Fly with ailerons using Canon A570 IS set to "continous". Wind 20mph + gusty, on the beach.

http://www.zorrik.org/media/flying/Magpie_A570is.wmv
You do know of course, that IS is a negative for AP? IS is designed to counteract the low frequency shakes that come from a person holding the camera in their hand. It is really hopeless trying to cope with the higher frequency vibrations experienced in an aircraft.

Try it with IS switched off and let us know which is better. Also, try and isolate the camera from the airframe with some high density foam like gyro mount double-sided tape. That might help as well
Jan 17, 2008, 07:42 AM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatron
Looks like you need to isolate the vibration from your camera. Set your camera on a soft foam and some rubberband (not too tight) and give it another try.

Check out this video. You can see the plane take off at full power with the video on. The camera is on a pendulum mount and that takes care most of the vibrations.
Paul
Beautiful video!

Any more info on the mount? Anything I can get off the shelf?
Jan 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
Begin with end in mind...
power's Avatar
You do not need a custom mount or "IS" just a good dampening and a balanced prop. I shot all these videos with the Canon A640 no "IS"


Mike

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...75&postcount=1
Jan 17, 2008, 12:20 PM
Studies the wind
ghoti's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
In any case, how do you balance a rigid plastic prop?
I use a small piece of vynal electrical tape on the lighter blade and knife-trim to balance. Bill
Jan 17, 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Ginger Adam's Avatar
Small dabs of superglue works for me.

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
In any case, how do you balance a rigid plastic prop?
Jan 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
Studies the wind
ghoti's Avatar
Ppatron, Beautiful scenes of SF but awesome flying. I would never let myself fly over wall-to-wall people like that. I am surprised you didn't get busted. Bill
Jan 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by power
WOW!
Jan 17, 2008, 07:42 PM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
Also, try and isolate the camera from the airframe with some high density foam like gyro mount double-sided tape. That might help as well
Ok, I have isolated the camera from the airframe... by about 15 feet or so, lol

I am hoping to have enough time to throw the gutted glider behind the magpie... Tomorrow will tell. Oooh, I don't have a very good feeling about this.

It's an empty miniVentura shell with Ventura wings.
Jan 17, 2008, 08:06 PM
Registered User
quailbird's Avatar
If you haven't got one, buy a prop balancer. Lock it in and if one side is heavier than the other it will drop down by gravity. Sand a little off that side and try again till it is perfect. Your movies will turn out great then! Keep it up! I enjoyed the video. When the motor was "on" that is exactly what I see when I take my glasses off! LOL!
Jan 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailbird
I enjoyed the video. When the motor was "on" that is exactly what I see when I take my glasses off! LOL!
Well, you enjoyed that video, maybe you will like this one as well:
http://www.zorrik.org/media/flying/Magpie.wmv
I got the whole soundtrack thing going there and you can actually see things clearly
Jan 17, 2008, 09:33 PM
Registered User
mook's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by power
You do not need a custom mount or "IS" just a good dampening and a balanced prop. I shot all these videos with the Canon A640 no "IS"


Mike

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...75&postcount=1
What happened on the Bad Day video? Why did The Beast go into a spin?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rave New Sony DSC-T9 Compact Camera With Image Stabilization! Sparrowhawk Aerial Photography 5 Aug 14, 2006 03:21 PM
Image Stabilization/ New Camera - Looks good Boydz Aerial Photography 5 May 11, 2005 11:09 PM
My ball joint camera mount eBird Aerial Photography 11 Jan 13, 2003 10:02 PM
Help with Slow Stick Camera Mount kansascloud Aerial Photography 7 Nov 06, 2002 12:45 AM
New Camera Mount Prevents Distortion jmh Parkflyers 14 Sep 16, 2002 09:54 PM