Simple Dual Boom EPS Pusher Build & How To Make Hot Wire Tools - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
Discussion

Simple Dual Boom EPS Pusher Build & How To Make Hot Wire Tools

Here's a link to an outstanding little build that taught me how to scratch build my first plane with foam. It's a quick and easy build for a newbie to learn to scratch build as well as fly on, yet is a very fun plane to fly even for seasoned pilots.

I've also thrown up photos and quick and easy steps to building hot wire cutting tools, using car battery chargers to power them, making airfoil jigs, etc. I tried to keep it simple with detailed specific steps because much of that was lacking when I was trying to learn hot wiring. For instance, what diameter and type of wire to use with a specific car battery charger, etc.

It really is easy, quick, and cheap to make these tools (most parts are probably already in your garage), as well as build this plane. It will serve as a launching board into more advanced and complicated builds in the future.

Don't overlook this plane just because it's relatively easy to make. It flys like no other I've ever had in my hangar. A real joy to fly at both low or high speeds, and it's looks are killer if you like dual boomers or flying tanks like the A-10 Warthog.

The original design only has one aileron and elevator which makes the plane even more simplified and inexpensive to throw together, requiring only two servos, but it will still roll with the best of them. You can also add rudder control and a second aileron if you want.

All the credit goes to FoamFlyer's excellent website with the original plans that I modified a bit.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6910714/tm.htm
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2008, 01:24 AM
Fantastic plane. I picked up foamflyer's web site quite awhile back from a post of yours. It was the first scratch built plane I ever built. On the first one I emailed him for some advice. He wasnt too busy to help out. Love the twin tails, I did as you and modifyed the later ones. Even put a gear with tail dragger on one. Great plane for your first or hundred and first. Thats my two cents....... Oh!!!! the plane and foamflyers ideas of building works very well even on a budget.

Dewey
Jan 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
I agree. It's a great plane with killer looks, and his website has a lot of good info on it. Keep tabs on my build thread at the link. Just threw up more photos and info.
May 27, 2009, 09:41 AM
We've built a new thread based on his dual boom pusher and also have step by step instructions including on building hot wire cutting tools, which you probably have all the parts for in your garage. It's very easy...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6910714/tm.htm
May 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
Out the Window
critterhunter

Thanks for the post...looks like a lot of good information. I have been wanting to build a hot wire cutter for some time.

Ray
May 28, 2009, 09:17 AM
No problem. This plane is a great platform to learn building skills on and it's also a great and unique flyer/design. Later in that thread you'll also see other EPS builds. Remember, you can get your foam at Home Depot or Lowes. I prefer the blue or pink EPS as it's stronger than the white. I currently have a stock pile of white foam from a company called Falcon. A friend of a friend uses it in the construction business. It's MUCH stronger/denser than the even the pink or blue. Love it.

Remember, you can find your wire at a bait and tackle shop. Look for stainless steel or nickle/chromium fishing leader and use the gauges we have listed. Also remember that if your bow wire is much more than say 40" it won't get hot enough with the charger shown.
Jun 01, 2009, 10:18 AM
Got the final specs on my latest build of the "So" dual boomer that I've been flying for several months now. I did a few finishing touches like building a thinner battery hatch out of 1/8th inch balsa and shortening the nose. This plane has been very reliable and a joy to fly, as the previous builds of this design also were.

Name: Tin Cow
Motor: Re-winded 2409-12T. 10 turn single 22 awg WYE. 1275-1325 k/v. 22 amps max continous, 26 peak. 5/5 winding. Max efficiency 78%. 8x6 prop most efficient. 9x6 most thrust. Stock wind would only be 65-70% efficient. Wound with dense copper polymidamide 200+ degree celcius industrial wire. Will delaminate at 600-700 degrees. I'm using an 8x8 APC E prop on it for this platform.
ESC: Tower Pro 30 amp
BEC: Yes (Can't remember specs)
RX: GWS 6 channel
Servos: HXT900s
Controls: Ailerons/Elevator
Wingspan: 3 feet
Width: 6 3/4"
Plane Length: 27"
COG: Currently set at 2 1/2" and might still be a bit nose heavy.
AUW: 28.1 ounces
Wing Surface Area: 243 sq. "
Wing Loading: 16.652 ounces per sq. foot. A trainer is about 15 so this puts it between that and sport plane. About where I wanted it.