Dec 24, 2002, 07:48 AM
Thread OP

Ice on runway

Just so you Florida boys can see what you're missing!

Clear and sunny weather here in Stockholm and a bracing -10 degrees...

Ice taxiing is great fun by the way
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2002, 07:49 AM
Thread OP
and another...
Dec 24, 2002, 11:47 AM
Suspended Account
Are You Insane? Burrrrrrrrrrrr. To cold for me.

Happy Flying.
Dec 24, 2002, 01:18 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Ice on the ground? How big a refridgerator do you have over there? It got down into the 40's last night, here, and won't get over 65 today, and I think this is cold! I even turned on the heat last night!
Dec 24, 2002, 01:21 PM
Ascended Master
The joys of winter flying can't be appreciated by you young whipper-snappers.
Back in the good old days when there was ice on the ground, and we needed diesel fuel to get the glow motors to turn over..
The incredible pain of the prop slapping the top of your flipping finger...
Then the warmth of the house when you gave it up as a bad idea anyway that day..
Them's were the good old days!
Dec 24, 2002, 03:29 PM

taxi drove on ice to drop you off???

just think if you ever fell through you could fly plane to get help
no worries of engine getting too hot eh
do icicles increase or decrease TX range when hanging off antenna
ever crashed into a snowman
Dec 24, 2002, 04:23 PM
Winter flying is great,every pond and lake is frozen now(so many new runways so little time BTW 2*for a low last night
steve
Dec 24, 2002, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
There is of course always a downside - and up here in northern europe it's the limited daylight hours! These days it gets light at 9am and dark by 3pm!!! And I'm a lazy git who doesn't emerge from bed until 11 so that isn't much of a window!

Once it gets dark the temp plumets to -15 which for the benefit of you non-metrics is 5 deg Fahr

I really enjoy the fact that the seasons here are so radically different!

HOwever there are hazards to contend to such as propellor icing and water moisture freezing on wings!! All true

In case you're wondering it's a gravel soccer pitch which has been covered in a half inch of frozen water to convert into a hockey rink! With a light dusting of snow on top

Here in Swe we celebrate on christmas eve so it's all over now. Happy Christmas to everyone else who is celebrating tomorrow
Dec 24, 2002, 05:32 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Looks cold! Flying in the snow and ice is fun even though you freeze while doing it. Its supposed to snow about a foot here tomorow for Christmas. So maybe I can hook back up the "skiis" for my Ferias. Try landing something like a Twinjet on ice, its slides forever!
Dec 25, 2002, 12:09 AM
I remeber -10 F ( -23C ) as a child in Wisconsin USA, and have NO desire to return to that kind of climate.

I'm cold enough now in Sacramento Calif, USA at 44 F !

Yes it rains in the winter, but you don't have to shovel rain !!

Happy Holidays,

DaveW

Quick Reply