Dec 23, 2002, 09:43 PM
The Magician.
Thread OP

How do I make an EDF-50 DD run in reverse without burning brushes?

I am running a DD EDF-50 with a 3 x 1.5 plastic prop and a 7.2V pack. It is running in reverse (pusher) with a heat sink. After only a few minutes of run time the motor will lose power and then stop. It will not start again unless you spin the prop and it never regains full power. I am using it on a 20 inch all EPP flying wing and have burnt 3 motors so far. One motor lasted about 10 minutes (two flights) the other two lasted only about 3 minutes each. Does any body have any ideas about what is happening? Does the Mini Speed wing have the same problem? I know that there is an upgrade from the EDP-50 to the EDF-50. would I be better off using the lesser EDP-50 and taking the performance hit, or is there a better motor in a simmilar size to use? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Justin
airplanes@cox.net
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2002, 02:10 AM
The Magician.
Thread OP
This set of pictures shows my mini combat wing without the heat sink installed. This motor lasted about 10 minutes. Any help or ideas would go a long way. I am not set on the EDP/EDF 50 motors, and any other options that anyone knows of will help.

Thank you,
Justin
airplanes@cox.net
Dec 24, 2002, 02:11 AM
The Magician.
Thread OP
pic.
Dec 24, 2002, 02:55 AM
The Magician.
Thread OP
OK, I just figured somthing out. I pulled apart one of the EDF 50 motors that I thought I burnt the brushes on and found the brushes to be fine. They looked perfect. But I did find that the tabs on the commutator that the windings connect to are lose on one set of windings. I mean that the windings are not tight on the tab. So what I think is happening is that after the motor gets hot the windings start to get lose on the commutator and I lose about 1/3 of my power. All 3 motors have the same production code on them. Bad batch? Also found that what I thought was the reverse rotation direction of the motor is really the correct direction of the motor. The brush alignment, and the little positive sign on the back plate of the motor gave it away. GWS solders the negetive wire to the positive contact on the motor so it will run clockwise. The motor is designed to run counter-clockwise. So I don't think that what I did is the cause of the damage, it has to be the manufacturer.

Justin
airplanes@cox.net

Quick Reply