Project Flat Blue - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by JustPlaneChris, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 14, 2008, 08:50 PM
Cool

Project Flat Blue

Okay, some people will understand the name of Project Flat Blue, some won't. Yes, it's made from flat blue foam, but the original stealth fighter project was code name Have Blue. Have blue foam, will make project Flat Blue... Get it? Yeah, it's lame. But JustPlaneLiz got it (and without an explanation, which scared her. )

Anyway, this is my first flat foamie. I just cut it out, glued it together and stuck some servos in it. Plans? We don't need no steeenking plans. Power is the tiny little BP Hobbies outrunner, on 2S 800. The flight you see below consumed 220 mah out of the pack, so that calculates out to almost 30 minutes of safe run time!

Enough chitchat. Here are some pictures and video. Enjoy.

-Chris
Project Flat Blue (10 min 0 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2008, 09:20 PM
Nice job. Great project plane. Just wanted to say a lot of us out here like to see innovation. No major bucks in this project and that is GOOD!

Chuck
...somewhere in Indiana...
Jan 14, 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks Chuck! It isn't really innovative, just cheap and ugly. But that's what makes it fun.

Now I want to do a biplane... Hmm.....

-Chris
Jan 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
Flat Pack Planes..:-)
Now look in... Foamies Scratchbuilt.. and hunt up the Printed Planes Thread for a whole new world of Flat foamies in 3d colour
Jan 14, 2008, 09:59 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Very, very cool. I plan to use your photos as a guideline to get my "Amos Moses" up and running.

I'm a little unclear on how that outrunner is supposed to mount up. Can you tell me a bit about the motor you used and can you provide a close-up photo of the mounting technique?

Thanks!
Jan 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
PMDrive, I used this motor:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B2171399

You can see it has a mount on the back. I screwed that to a bit of thin plywood, and hot-glued that to the front of the plane. Not much to it.

Bare, I'll check out the printed planes. I've been surfing the scratch foamie forum all evening.

-Chris
Jan 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thanks, Chris. That is a BIG help.

I assume the ESC is a Thunderbird 19 or Phoenix 25. A T-Bird would be a great choice by the look of things.
Jan 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
Excellent work, and great post!! I REALLY loved reading it. Thanks for the grins!
Jan 14, 2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys! It was nice to take a break from helis (though I still find them easier to hover).

I'm using a Phoenix 10. This motor maxes out at about 6 amps according to the specs, so a T-Bird 9 would be a good choice (I just had the P10 laying around). Based on my recharge data, I'm averaging about 1.5 amps in flight.

-Chris
Jan 15, 2008, 02:08 AM
Wow! This is inspiring! It's amazing that brushless motors and lipos can make "slapping" flying things together pretty easy. I remember my grandpa carefully building wings with balsa with jigs and whatnot for quite a while! Anyway, I have a few questions for you.

1. What did you glue the foam with? I assume some sorta foam-safe epoxy?

2. What are those crossbars on the wings? Are those carbon rods to help strengthen the foam wings? My guess is 2mm carbon rods, doubled up.

3. What is that under the tape, between the ESC and the motor connectors?

4. Finally, 2.4GHz is great technology! It's always nice to plug-and-go, along with using the same transmitter. However, the 2.4 RXs are pretty pricy. Do you keep a spare "experimental" RX that you pop in and out of various projects?

Thanks for your post on this project!
Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 AM
internet rebel
looks nice jpc, and great flying man i just recently built my first foamie. a 24 inch version of the sumo 3d althoe i changed it a bit. i think i might build something similar to yours next with a 32 inch wingspan or so i noticed your wings flexing a bit you might try some plastic antenna gommets and non-cotton thread/kevlar(fly fishing line) trussing to get rid of the flexing. heres an pdf file on how to truss. it might help.

when i maiden my plane this thursday at a local indoor meet ill get some video for you. i wish i had the motor you have. unfortunatly im working with just what i have to make due

- tre
Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks! I'm surprised at the amount of response I'm getting to this thing. I didn't think it was anything special.

1. What did you glue the foam with? I assume some sorta foam-safe epoxy?

Most of the airframe was glued together with polyurethane "gorilla" type glue. Low temp hot glue was used for the motor mount, and the "after first flight" doublers around the nose and battery area. Hinges are kevlar/epoxy strips, held in with the gorilla glue.

2. What are those crossbars on the wings?

The one that goes full span is uni-directional carbon tow, wet out with epoxy. It didn't make the wing stiff enough, so under the tape is 2mm carbon rod glued on with gorilla glue.

3. What is that under the tape, between the ESC and the motor connectors?

Extra motor wire.

4.Do you keep a spare "experimental" RX that you pop in and out of various projects?

Not really, I've been stocking up on RX's since I made the switch to 2.4 since I hate swapping stuff around. I'm up to 7 of various types now, but still need more! If you shop around, you can find the AR6100 for around $40. Other than the Phoenix 10, that definitely makes it the most expensive part of the project!

Oh, and akguanja, thanks for the info on trussing. I actually tried that first (before gluing on the carbon) but it was way too floppy. I also didn't triangulate it quite like they did, so I'll probably give it a try. Although I may just wait and try it on the next one.

-Chris
Jan 15, 2008, 01:51 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
What are the Specs??
Jan 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
30" span, unknown wing area (didn't calculate it). Weight is 6.5oz. I think everything else has been covered in other replies or pictures above.

-Chris
Jan 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
internet rebel

sumo

chris heres a pic of my sumo ;D my FIRST foamie, cant wait to fly this thing

- tre