Jan 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Pre Ban vs. Post Ban Radio

Hi All,

I have a question about a radio I have and about pre vs. post ban radios.

First, I have a Futaba Attack FP-T4NBL AM 72 radio on hand here that works but needs batteries and an antenna. It has a gold sticker on the back that reads "RICMA AMA RF CHECK DATE 12 92 10". Is this the "gold sticker" that I see mentioned in various threads? Does it mean the radio is a post ban radio and that I can use it?

Secondly, what is this pre ban vs. post ban stuff all about? What was or is the problem? Any history would be helpful.

TIA,
NOOB Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
In 1991 the FCC allocated more frequencies for RC use, but they also required that each channel occupy less spectrum space - narrowband.

Take a look at this Futaba FAQ and the AMA Membership Manual - search for 'narrow'.

Bill
Jan 14, 2008, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
Thank You Bill!

I have a good usable radio instead of an overpriced paperweight. Thats good news for sure!
Jan 14, 2008, 09:40 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterAce
Thank You Bill!

I have a good usable radio instead of an overpriced paperweight. Thats good news for sure!
Only if you can find a narrow band AM receiver. I haven't seen an AM RX in quite some time.
Jan 14, 2008, 10:33 PM
You can still buy recievers new for these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJKR4&P=SM

You can still buy new AM 4 channel radios although tower only carries the 27mhz edition of it. Computerized at that now. They were popular with the boat people.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSNP1**&P=SM
Jan 14, 2008, 10:33 PM
Inciting Riots
As far as I know... If you cut a hole in the back of the case, you can use one of the new 2.4Ghz modules in that radio. I had an old Fp6 channel that I used for parts,, and the AM RF deck unplugged and had the same pinout as the current Futaba radios. So any of the futaba compatible 2.4Ghz modules would have worked with it.
Jan 14, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
Only if you can find a narrow band AM receiver. I haven't seen an AM RX in quite some time.
Good to know but I've got it all Tim. Tx, Rx, servos, even the servo tray. Just needs new batteries and a Tx antenna. (Go figure)

Thanks!
Jan 14, 2008, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
As far as I know... If you cut a hole in the back of the case, you can use one of the new 2.4Ghz modules in that radio. I had an old Fp6 channel that I used for parts,, and the AM RF deck unplugged and had the same pinout as the current Futaba radios. So any of the futaba compatible 2.4Ghz modules would have worked with it.
Oh really? I'll have to try and verify that. I've been known to hack a few things in my day.
Jan 14, 2008, 10:50 PM
Inciting Riots
If the board unplugs and has 5 pins, chances are really good that all you need to do is cut a hole in the back of the case. The pins are at the bottom of the module area,` which is the same as the Hitec radios, so not all module designs will work well. The Spektrum modules should be fine.
Jan 14, 2008, 11:18 PM
AMA # L576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
Only the transmitter is required to be narrow band IIRC. As the receiver is only supposed to be receiving, there should be no problem, other than the receiver accepting extra interferance.

Quick Reply