power supply pinouts - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 12, 2008, 07:57 AM
Registered User
Turtle_Flyer's Avatar
Discussion

power supply pinouts


I picked up a sony aps 111 power supply at a swap meet. it is 12v at 34 amps. I am wondering if this is too big for lipo charging?

Also I have no pinout. Plugging it in will not turn it on. I have to jumper the switch pins. Problem is I have no schematic. Anyone know where I can get one. My guess would be "guessing" on the jumpering could be dangerous.

I have done PC power supply conversions before so I know that it can be dangerous inside these things.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
A power supply cannot be too big as long as it is a 12 volt supply. Your charger will only draw as much current from the supply as it requires. Power supplies do not "push" current into a load.

As far as a schematic try Googling for a supplier of that power supply. Maybe one of the distributers can help you.

Glen
Jan 15, 2008, 09:59 PM
Registered User
Turtle_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
A power supply cannot be too big as long as it is a 12 volt supply. Your charger will only draw as much current from the supply as it requires. Power supplies do not "push" current into a load.

As far as a schematic try Googling for a supplier of that power supply. Maybe one of the distributers can help you.

Glen
Thanks..I remembered from my old electronics days that amps equals a draw as soon as I read this.

I have googled for hours on this puppy. Nothing. Sad thing is I just need the pins to short so it comes on. I can meter the rest. I can think of no method to determine this other than having a schematic. Darn shame as I paid $2 for it and it looks to be new.
Nov 05, 2009, 02:12 AM
Registered User

I got one of these power supplies (Sony APS-111) to work


I got one to work. Mine was being thrown out at my company (really).

I tried connecting each of the signal lines to ground with a 1K resistor one at a time. It only took one (19). I changed the resistor to a jumper for testing. I tested it at 50W (4 amps), the voltage fell from 12.2 to 12.1, good enough.

I accidentally connected one signal wire (19) to another apparent signal wire (21), thinking it was a ground, but it works. It appeared that there were 8 ground wires, but there were really 7. I tried jumpering to ground too, and that works also. Using 21 for the jumper ground frees up a heavier wire for power connection. Measuring the resistance to ground for pin 21, I got about 5 ohms or less.

The connector is like this with the power supply right side up:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Jumper 19 to 21 (22 for the extremely careful)
+12 is 1-4 and 13-15
Ground is 9-12 and 22-24

M
Nov 05, 2009, 09:44 PM
Registered User
Turtle_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDavis22
I got one to work. Mine was being thrown out at my company (really).

I tried connecting each of the signal lines to ground with a 1K resistor one at a time. It only took one (19). I changed the resistor to a jumper for testing. I tested it at 50W (4 amps), the voltage fell from 12.2 to 12.1, good enough.

I accidentally connected one signal wire (19) to another apparent signal wire (21), thinking it was a ground, but it works. It appeared that there were 8 ground wires, but there were really 7. I tried jumpering to ground too, and that works also. Using 21 for the jumper ground frees up a heavier wire for power connection. Measuring the resistance to ground for pin 21, I got about 5 ohms or less.

The connector is like this with the power supply right side up:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Jumper 19 to 21 (22 for the extremely careful)
+12 is 1-4 and 13-15
Ground is 9-12 and 22-24

M
Hey thanks I understand everything you are saying except the 22 for the extremely careful part. Can you elaborate?
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:21 PM
nicolezhu85
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Nov 06, 2009, 08:20 PM
Registered User
Turtle_Flyer's Avatar
Hey Nicole,
Can you send me a PM? For some reason your last post was deleted.
Nov 07, 2009, 12:44 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Flyer
Hey thanks I understand everything you are saying except the 22 for the extremely careful part. Can you elaborate?

Sure, 21 is not a "power" ground, so there is slight risk in using it. Using it, however, frees up a "power" ground connection, 22 is the closest.

If you are not using the connector pins, and just soldering all of the wires together, you can jumper to ground by soldering to a ground, and forget pin 21.

I got good ideas on power supply conversions from this thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1005309

M
Last edited by MDavis22; Nov 07, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Nov 08, 2009, 06:43 PM
Registered User
Turtle_Flyer's Avatar
Thanks I do not need another PS but I have just got to try this. HA!!!
Nov 12, 2009, 09:43 PM
T28 and counting
It never hurts to have backup P/Ss.

I leave a spare by the computer to power a charger while configuring it via USB cable.

M
Jul 05, 2017, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Hi everybody,
I would like to ask you. Have you made anybody new investigastion?
I have this Power sipply. I have connected 19+21 pins.
Red LED is switch ON and Green LED is SWitch OFF.
Do you have any new about this power supply?

Many thanks
Jul 05, 2017, 02:58 PM
Unregistered User
vimy g eaou's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDavis22
I got one to work. Mine was being thrown out at my company (really).M
LOL, there's always someone that has the appropriate information somewhere in the RC Groups ether.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12v Power Supply CheeseWing Electric Plane Talk 0 Sep 06, 2001 06:36 PM
Orbit Charger and Power Supply jtaylor Electric Plane Talk 11 Sep 05, 2001 11:16 AM
Pyramid Power Supply mt_100 Electric Plane Talk 7 Jun 03, 2001 10:12 AM
30 amp power supply James H Electric Plane Talk 0 May 20, 2001 07:42 PM
Power Supply on sale @ RS Andy W Electric Plane Talk 10 May 09, 2001 01:57 AM