Dec 22, 2002, 09:36 PM
Thread OP

Don't do this with a Corona!!!

Well all you Corona Pilots, I learned a hard leason this morning. I decided it was a nice calm day to fly the 120 in front of the house. Batteries charged and connected and all ready to go right? Wrong. Yesterday I had flown my RC airplane with the same transmitter. Which was suppose to be on Model # 1. However, somehow I used model #6 which is my Heli. (No wonder why my servo's were reversed!) Well, my throttle was fine, and I enabled my ESC, checked fore and aft, and they were reversed, so I went into my setup menu and thought I reversed the correct channel, but low and behold I reversed the THROTTLE!!! At first I had no idea what happened. Throttle stick down and away she went. As I paniced (while the heli was lifting) I tried to fly the helicopter back, but guess what all the servo's were now reversed. I must have hit more buttons after she lifted. Instead of moving the throttle stick up I just watched her crash inverted into the side on my house and then fall (blades still full RPM) upside down into the grass. As I ran to save her while she was floping around on the ground, I put down my transmitter and tripped and fell. I got up and then ran to the heli and literally jumped on it before she took off again. I ripped the canopy off and yanked the deans connector. Shew...At least she was still on the ground. I was sooo mad, I was ready to give up. This whole mistake took just 5 to 10 seconds.After an hour of rest, I decided to look at the damage. Would you believe I only bent the front landing gear (2.59) (where I jumped on it), and broke the crown gear (5.99), the front pinion gear (4.99) , main spur gear (7.29), and cracked the TR Gearbox (7.89) for a total of $28 and change. This is a amazing Helicopter. I thought she was totaled. I didn't even break the main rotors or bend the main drive shaft or tail boom. (That pipe foam trick tie wrapped to the tail boom works excellent!!!) And if I didn't jump on it, I probably would not have stripped the plastic gears. This was a hard leason, but next time I will check the setup with the motor disconnected. If this were a gas copter how much would have this cost in damage? $200 bucks or more i would say. What a amazing machine! Thanks Lite Machines for a inovative product!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2002, 11:05 PM

been there done that

yes I must admit I have done the exact same thing. I had switched the throttle channel servo reverse so I could use it with FMS. I forgot to switch the servo reverse back. Luckily I did this in my apartment which doesn't have a lot of breakables. It slammed against the ceiling before I realized what I had done, and then fell back to the ground. I tackled it and pulled the plug. Besides scaring the heck out of me, the only damage was a stripped main gear. It really is a durable helicopter.
Dec 22, 2002, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
LOL...It's kinda funny, but also kind of dangerous. The panic takes over reality. After it's all said and done, we then say "should a done this, or should a done that".

I will call LMH tomorrow morning and order my parts and hopefully be in the air again soon. It figures, cause my 2 weeks vacation starts tomorrow. I planned to fly in a bunch in the next 2 weeks. Oh well!

By the way, do you fly at that club near Sea World? I saw a guy their flying a Corona. He got me so interested in one, that when I got home (TN), I ordered one. If this is you THANKS! It's a awesome machine. In the meantime, my gas Nexus 30 hangs on the garage ceiling collecting dust!

See ya!
Dec 22, 2002, 11:50 PM
I have flown at that club before, although I have never flown my Corona there. I actually live very close to that field but I usually fly at parks. One thing nice about the Corona is that you can fly it virtually anywhere, including inside your house.

Quick Reply