Jan 08, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help!

Hey All,

This is all new to me but so intriguing. I have seen a number of tri and quad copters with complex gyro setups an multiple esc's. I like the idea of varying thrust to roll/pitch/yaw but do not have the electronics needed.
My initial idea was to try a rather small tricopter useing the rotors from a Havoc (hopeing they will keep me from needing a gyro.) Run off of one esc to three motors in a T shape. The two front motors pitch forward and backwards on a single carbon shaft with bushings, via a 3.6g servo on my elevator channel. The tail motor (long part of the T) will rotate left and right on the aileron channel hopefully pushing the tail right and left. Combined I hope to be able to generally fly up, down, left, right and backwards.
I think in theory this is correct. My biggest question is can I run all three motors off of one esc? I have a 15a brushed esc and based on my calculations my max amps will be about 2a? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stefan
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2008, 07:29 AM
This is the same as you have in mind. Hope this helps.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795039

Joe
Jan 09, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thread OP

Picture of my plan

Man somebody always has the idea first. That does help, thank you very much.

Stefan
Last edited by stefalo; Jan 09, 2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add pic
Jan 09, 2008, 05:10 PM
Thread OP

Trying to upload pic

Direction of arrows show shaft rotation.
Stefan

Quick Reply