Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 08, 2008, 05:18 PM
plane builder
Discussion

Ivan Pettigrew Short Solent!(82inch)

Ok so a month or so i decided to build an Ivan Pettigrew short solent and I didn't have the time to start a thread when i started the fusilage so heer is the thread im starting late to go along with my short solent.

I have a question about the front body former (b1), all of the other bottom body formers seem to be a basic triangle but on b1 after the triangle comes about a 1/8 inch extension, dose this belong on the body former? pics are bellow.
in the pictures you can also see my method of streighting the back of the fusilage,(im a little to inbarest to show the fuse from the front to the back from a top viewat this point but a pic like that will come soon)
and the progress i have made today ataching the front cross bar which holds up the battery tray.

Thanks for any input on this matter and for viewing my thread
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2008, 06:17 PM
I have been e-mailing Ivan for 3 months and can't get a reply. I want to build a seaplane and can't seem to connect. What did you do to get a set of plans?

Vern Hunt
Jan 08, 2008, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Hunt
I have been e-mailing Ivan for 3 months and can't get a reply. I want to build a seaplane and can't seem to connect. What did you do to get a set of plans?

Vern Hunt
Here is the email address that I use for Ivan

ivanp2@shaw.ca

Is that the email address you have been using?

Colin
Jan 08, 2008, 06:36 PM
plane builder
Well if anyone has been talking to Matt or fallowing some of the threads on the Solent you may find that he ordered another set of plans before his 100 in plans, I am good friends with Matt and asked him if i could use his smaller plans. He kindly agreed to let me "Barrow" his plans untill the build is over. sorry to hear that you havn't been able to aquire plans from ivan i hope you have better luck in the near future, its always nice reading new threads started about his plans

Tate.
Jan 08, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yes, I have used that e-mail as well as variations of it. Still no response?
Jan 08, 2008, 06:48 PM
Student of Ivan
Great to see another Solent coming together! I'm signed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterkid65663
I have a question about the front body former (b1), all of the other bottom body formers seem to be a basic triangle but on b1 after the triangle comes about a 1/8 inch extension, dose this belong on the body former? pics are bellow.
I see what you're talking about but this is from the view on the drawing since the sides angle up. The top of former 1B should be angled so that when it's glued to the fuse, it's even with the front of the fuse. See Luke's pic site for a better pic.

Good luck with the build. You'll find many folks here who can help out.

John
Jan 08, 2008, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterkid65663
Tate, I think the "1/8th extension" is just a trick of the eye, or if you want, a slightly mis-drawn part on the plane. B1 is just the triangle that you see there, without any extension. It glues on directly to the crossbeam. Here is a picture that may or may not help. You can see on mine I actually glued an entire sheet over the nose opening. This wasn't called for in the plans but I found that all my sticks at the nose didn't like being bent the way they were and kept wanting to pop loose. So I just glued that piece of sheet to the front to hold it all in place until I could get the actual nose piece on. Later on I cut most of that sheet away, as you can see here.

But I will say that on my build I didn't glue on the bottom keel formers until the very end of the build. I did this so that the bottom of the Solent would be flat, which makes it a billion times easier to work on than when the keel is installed. Fitting the wing, doing the tail, all that stuff goes easier when your Solent will sit upright by itself. So I actually didn't even glue on B1 until pretty much the last thing, even after the wing was completely done and covered.

Luke

[EDIT: MountainMan beat me to it!]
Jan 08, 2008, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Hunt
Yes, I have used that e-mail as well as variations of it. Still no response?
Vernon, I think all that's happened is that you've gotten Ivan at a real busy time. Usually he is pretty good about getting back to people but as you can imagine he also gets lots of messages and spam and what not so it can be hard to keep up with it all. This past fall he has been extremely busy and struggling with some health issues as well, and I bet your emails have just fallen through the cracks.

The next time I talk to him I will make a mention of you but even I haven't seen hide nor hair of him in well over a month, which is unusual.

I'll let you know when the master "re-appears" from his mountain redoubt.

Luke
Jan 08, 2008, 07:47 PM
Fly2Build.com
Hey Tate,

Referencing the 2nd pic you posted at the start of this thread, it looks like you've got yourself a nearly invisible brother there. I bet he's hard to find to beat up!

Not sure how old you are, but looks like you're doing a first rate job! Keep up the good work. I'd be proud of you if you were my son, as I'm sure your pops is!

Mike
Jan 08, 2008, 08:18 PM
plane builder

Tonights progress

well thank you for the compliment on the solent Mike, Im glad to see that people are injoying my thread. I am 14, a couple months older that Matt,(and about 6 inches shorter ) that is my brother(also taller) and my dad is partially pleazed. he cant really see the finished product of these plans in his mind yet but he is an architect so im sure he will eventually.

Well i worked untill about 7:30 tonight working on the batter platform and cutting out some of the body formers. I cut the formers the same way that lukez did and its working very well so far. im still working on leveling out the fusilage and its coming along nicely. so far it looks about 70% streighter than when i started the sheeting.

i moved the area im working on the solent(mostly because of space) and it worked out well untill i remembered about culprit one and two(pictures below) but im sure everything will be fine.
Jan 08, 2008, 10:31 PM
96RC/3178W
Sweet.

-Matt
Jan 08, 2008, 10:48 PM
Tate, another trick I have learned since I did the Solent came from PentaxMan. I asked him how he copied his plans to balsa and he told me about his pin-prick method. You can read his description here, look about four posts down from the top of the page.

I have been using his method on my latest build and it works pretty well. Also it's a bit faster than tracing everything on to cardstock. Of course, the advantage of the tracing method is that you then have a card-stock template of every piece, if you ever want to go back and make another...

You're right, you're going to want a bigger battery tray than that. I'd run it further forward as well. I'll try to take a picture of what my tray ended up looking like, as I don't think there's one in my picture gallery yet.

Luke
Jan 08, 2008, 10:56 PM
I eat glue
I still photocopy the parts,then use thinner on the copy to transfer the pattern to the balsa.
Jan 09, 2008, 03:34 AM
Student of Ivan
Tate,

Looking good! I hope Culprit (1 & 2 ) isn't a balsa eating breed...

I'll second Luke's comment about the battery tray. I built mine per the plans too and while it is functional, the batteries do hang over the front end in order to balance properly, but this is a minor problem.

I am blushing due to the pic of my Solent hanging on your plans...Hopefully this September we can have all our Solents at Brighton.

John
Jan 09, 2008, 06:35 AM
plane builder
oh im not worried about them eating it...
you see these dogs like to jump, culprit 2 can jump about 2 and a half feet and you can emagine 5 or 6 pounds being droped on an airplane like mine in this stage.

Quick Reply