This thread is privately moderated by soholingo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 04, 2017, 11:12 PM

Time to Plan Your Hawaiian Vacation

All Right Folks!-

We are about 2 months out from the 3rd Hawaiian Open F-5B Contest (and 1st ever, Hawaiian Open F-5J Contest) and historically about the best time to buy your plane tickets! Contest dates are August 10th, 11th and 12th, 2017 but you might want to come a few days early to spend some time with the family or stay longer with the family. My wife Michelle and I are arriving on the 8th but we'll be working on site preparations for you. We're going to be at Paradise Point Resort before and during the Contest. It's one of the closest large resort hotels to the site; I'm sure they have many rooms available. We considered Turtle Bay also on the Oahu's North Shore. Other San Diegans are staying at AIR-B&B type places but we like the services of large resorts.

Some may ask why Thursday-Friday-Saturday vs Friday-Saturday-Sunday? Because that's the only time the purveyors of the Kualoa Ranch would entertain our access! Flying on this field is an unbelievable privilege, folks. Not even local Hawaiians have routine access to this place. R/C flying on the site of filming of Jurassic Park and other tropical themed movies is probably a once in a lifetime experience that you won't want to miss.

So checkout Hawaiian Air, Alaskan Air, Cheap-O Air, or whatever your favorite air travel site. Pick your dates and grab those good deals while they're still out there!

Cheers,

Steve Manganelli, Contest Organizer, Hawaiian Open F-5B/J
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2017, 02:26 PM
BANNED!!!
Thread OP
After being away for years, I poke my head in and there is a Hawaii contest??? Man, the timing is wrong for this year, but I hope there is another one next year...
Jun 23, 2017, 08:24 PM
Sunday is F5B/D practice day at the Mission Bay field in San Diego----fun starts at noon!

Steve
Jun 23, 2017, 09:24 PM
Hi Soho. Welcome back!
Jan 19, 2019, 06:40 PM
Hi all,
the last post in this forum is from 2017. Are in US groups they do F5B ?
Jan 19, 2019, 10:57 PM
Practice for F5B and D teams to begin in late February at SEFSD club field 2019, practice is
in the afternoon on Sundays from 12:30 pm . Dates to be announced, check SEFSD.org
club website, click on Calendar.
Jan 21, 2019, 08:43 PM
Many thanks for your reply. I have now the link in my favorites.
Are you planning some contests this year? And in the past they was a contest in Colorado. Is this planned for 2019?
Feb 20, 2019, 12:45 PM
We are having a informal practice/get the cobwebs cleared F5B/D this Sunday Feb 24th at the SEFSD field at Mission Bay. Starts at 1pm and goes until we have had enough flying.

Anyone is welcome---hot liners, warm liners full on F5B are all welcome. Nothing formal

Steve
Feb 27, 2019, 06:41 PM

2019 USA (and International) F-5B/D Season

Greetings All-

Here are dates and locations per subject :

When : March 25, 2019, Monday, 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Where : SEFSD Field, Mission Bay Park, San Diego CA.
What : B Distance practice on measured, instrumented course. Spare Receiver encouraged but not necessary. Throwers for D available; D Course "nominal".
Who : Anyone with "Hot-Liner" type aircraft is encouraged to take a crack at the course and learn from masters; no fees!

When : May 12, 2019, Sunday, 12:45 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
What : B Distance practice on measured, instrumented course. Spare Receiver encouraged but not necessary. Throwers for D available; D Course "nominal".
Who : Anyone with "Hot-Liner" type aircraft is encouraged to take a crack at the course and learn from masters! We may actually put up a 1/2 length course (75M) to see if makes more sense for sport type motor gliders. Definitely plan to give it a try; no fees!

When : June 22 and 23, Saturday and Sunday, 12:00 to 4:00 Saturday and 9:00 to 3:00 Sunday
Where : Sod Farm, Aurora/Denver CO. Directions TBD.
What : B Distance and Duration on measured, instrumented course. Spare Receiver encouraged but not necessary.
Who : Anyone with "Hot-Liner" type aircraft is encouraged to take a crack at the course and learn from masters; no fees!

When : July 28, 2019, Sunday, 12:45 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.

When : September 4th to 6th, 2019 Wednesday through Friday. 12:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. Wednesday (practice flights), 8:00 A.M. - 2:30 P.M., Thursday/Friday Contest Days
Where : Grounds of the Honolulu Polo Club, Waimanalo Hawaii
What : 2019 Hawaiian Open International F-5B Contest, Details Soon.
Who : All US and International F-5B Competitors willing to travel and make a vacation out of it! CD will be myself.

When : September 16th and 17th, Monday and Tuesday, 10:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
What : 2020 USA F-5B Team Selection Contest
Who : USA Eligible Team Selection Program Participants, CD will be myself, small awards, nominal fee.

Very Respectfully,

Steve P. Manganelli, Chairman USA FAI- F-5 Team Selection Committee

Quick Reply