Mar 15, 2008, 11:09 AM
they are starting to appear on ebay
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2008, 02:29 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
I just got one at target and flew it, the autopilot works great!
I can just put the tx down and it will explore the room but when it goes near a wall it stops and goes the other direction!
Its amazing!
50$
Mar 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
It works, don't touch it.
can you actually control it? and if so how many channels? is it only left, right, up, and down, or can you go forward and backwards also?
Mar 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
OK, now there's problems everywhere first flight was on autopilot but when on rc control it is very sluggish (almost no control of the three channels) but the biggest problems:
A. is flight time about 4 minuets per 25 min charge
B. the ir receiver is on the top have making it blind when above you
btw, the autopilot does not detect textured surfaces wood, ceiling tile, textured walls
Not worth it for an ir vectron.
Mar 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
oh boy, I started to think there may be some problems after seeing the original factory vids.
I lost that warm feeling then, I hope it is not infectious as all these manufacturers seem to be having problems now..
Mar 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Machy2k, i am kind of happy because i can finally get caught up with the old products. Or save my money for the newer (hopefully better) stuff.
Mar 15, 2008, 06:47 PM
How does it do the directionality? Cyclic? Its not clear from the pictures or video.
Mar 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Well I went back to target this afternoon and picked one up.

My impressions thus far are very similar to sonicjet's. The initial wow factor is definitely there, but the fun wears off quick. In "RC Mode" the directional control is incredibly slow, and somewhat unpredictable. I'd say, at most, the vehicle is translating at about 1 foot/sec and that's on a fresh charge, the directional control becomes even more sluggish as the pack drops off.

The motors are in plane with the rotors, so directional control is achieved by pulsing the motors to simply push the vehicle in the desired direction. When I first saw the design I though they might use a canted motor axis, and pulse the motors to induce a moment that would tilt the disc (similar to this:http://veratech.aero/phantom.html) This probably would have resulted in a more maneuverable vehicle.

What upsets me most is that there is clearly a great deal of good engineering in this vehicle, it hovers very stably and the "autopilot" works as advertised, but they dropped the ball on the directional control. If it was just a bit more responsive this would be a must have toy. Instead it's somewhat of a let down

-Adam
Latest blog entry: Star Wars A-Wing Submarine
Mar 15, 2008, 09:31 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
I retuned mine for a jetscream and 10$... hey mit try bending the motors prop end down a little theoretically that should increase agility.
Speaking of ornithopters they seem to have a free flight one now called the butterfly...20$...pink.
Mar 16, 2008, 11:16 AM
It is great at hovering, but the remote control is more like remote suggestion. And the autopilot isn't all that great. I thought it had a sensor on the top so that it wouldn't crash into the ceiling, but it seems to want to head straight into every ceiling that its under, and when I cut the throttle it takes 3-4 seconds to respond (it seems to take 3-4 seconds to respond to any control input).
Mar 16, 2008, 11:44 AM
So, its a flop right? Maybe version 2 will be better.
Jul 05, 2008, 09:43 PM
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!
i was looking at geting one of these and do you guys think its worth it? let me no?
thanks jeff
Jul 05, 2008, 10:11 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
No,its a real piece of junk.Waste of money,unless you like watching it bounce of ceiling by itself with no control whatsoever.
Jul 05, 2008, 10:41 PM
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!
fh64 lucky do you have one? and is there control at all?
Jul 05, 2008, 11:09 PM
brings infinite surprise
ok. i know that folks have to post or the forum won't work. i know it's good to foster discussion. however, $$J3ft$$, it doesn't seem like you made an effort to read the thread.

you asked:

"fh64 lucky do you have one? and is there control at all?"

"In "RC Mode" the directional control is incredibly slow, and somewhat unpredictable. I'd say, at most, the vehicle is translating at about 1 foot/sec and that's on a fresh charge, the directional control becomes even more sluggish as the pack drops off."

and

"It is great at hovering, but the remote control is more like remote suggestion. And the autopilot isn't all that great. I thought it had a sensor on the top so that it wouldn't crash into the ceiling, but it seems to want to head straight into every ceiling that its under, and when I cut the throttle it takes 3-4 seconds to respond (it seems to take 3-4 seconds to respond to any control input)."

all on the same page with your post, and BEFORE you posted it! magic, you say? perhaps.

you also asked:

"i was looking at geting one of these and do you guys think its worth it? let me no?
thanks jeff"

previous to that posting, we had this goin on in the thread.

"btw, the autopilot does not detect textured surfaces wood, ceiling tile, textured walls
Not worth it for an ir vectron. "

more magic, you say? yes. us magical forum folk can answer your questions before you ask them. but, only if you read the thread. or in this case, the page you posted on.

bitterness aside, i did my part to help answer your questions. =) thanks to the uh, original answerers.

Quick Reply