May 01, 2008, 02:53 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPIoW
One prototype used a mid mounting for the motor, but I found it very noisy so abandoned that thought.
A 'butterfly' shaped cut out can reduce the noise somewhat, as opposed to a simple rectangle. Just a thought, if the mid-mount had benefits to it (easier CG location, etc.).
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2008, 11:37 PM

9mm and Wingspan

I'm not sure about the wingspan. Let me weigh my foam and figure out what wingspan I'll need to get the same wing loading as the original.

It's such nice flying little plane that I hate to mess with the design at all. Maybe I'll just order some 5 and 3mm. It's going to be a week or so before I can get to it anyway.

Twenty-eight inch wingspan? The only reason I'm thinking 28" is because my other favorite plane is 28" Slofly (9mm EPP and about 6.5 oz AUW).
May 02, 2008, 02:50 AM
Parkesflyer
Thread OP
28" span will work out ok.

Mean chord will be 320mm, and with 9mm thick wing and KF step you will need an 11mm deep step so all should be great. Let me know and Ill create a plan for you.

Richard
May 02, 2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks

Seriously, a new plan? That would be great. Thanks!
May 02, 2008, 09:03 PM
flyin' fool
Great looking design. I just added the Fidgit to my production lineup as I have all the goodies to make it work.
May 03, 2008, 12:39 PM
OK, you got my attention when you said it can handle the wind, something I could use today. Now I've got to decide what to retire to get this one in the air
May 03, 2008, 01:50 PM
My eyebrows raised a bunch on the handles wind statements. Flip, I noticed your version is kf underneath. Will that make much difference on wind.
May 03, 2008, 02:53 PM
Parkesflyer
Thread OP
I think that the KF wing reduces drag and it depends upon how much thrust you have, my 24" one flies well even in 15-20 knots but needs a deal of throttle to keep pace with the wind. Ive spent hours slope soaring and I think that the experience helps.

However it will happily crusie around at high alpha into a breeze.

Salt - I have completed the 28" span version design using 9mm EPP, but my pdf converter keeps crashing, when I solve that problem Ill post it for you

Richard
May 03, 2008, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman
...This will be my first venture into depron and K-F. I was looking for something a bit bigger so I did it on my printer in poster format and it came out at 24". I have not had any luck with any of the scaling and tiling programs including ScaleAndTile V3. ...
Batman, please see PM, re: your problem running ScaleAndTile3 on your computer.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
May 03, 2008, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
My eyebrows raised a bunch on the handles wind statements. Flip, I noticed your version is kf underneath. Will that make much difference on wind.
Can't say for sure yet, this is an experiment. The only other plane I've tried with the KFm on the bottom is the Blue Funder and it does a good job. I'd be more inclined to believe that tapering the leading edge has more effect on penetrating the wind than the step being on the top or bottom does. But what the heck, if it doesn't work, the templates are already made, I'll knock out another one done as designed.
May 03, 2008, 10:01 PM
RC Flyer
Hi RJPIoW

I am really interested in building the 18" model fidgit .It sounds great for me to fly in the street in front of my house.
You have done a great job so far but can you do 2 more things ?

1- Can you give us a description of it's flying ability.I would assume it is capable of doing 3-d .How well will it roll,loop and etc.
2- Can you give me an updated list of the components and materials needed to build the Fidgit .I am sure you have found better alternatives since you started the project .I am not very familiar with some of the components you have on your drawings .Like the servos for example .What is the brand of the 3x3 .Can you give the brand names and possibly where we can purchase them?

Thanks
Charlie
May 04, 2008, 06:12 AM
Parkesflyer
Thread OP

28 inch version using 9mm epp

Two plans attached tiled on 8 1/2" x 11" and whole design on 1 page

Hope it works out ok, lots of area so build it lite and power it up ......

Richard
May 04, 2008, 06:15 AM
Parkesflyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsy 2 Shoes
Hi RJPIoW

1- Can you give us a description of it's flying ability.I would assume it is capable of doing 3-d .How well will it roll,loop and etc.

2- Can you give me an updated list of the components and materials needed to build the Fidgit .I am sure you have found better alternatives since you started the project .I am not very familiar with some of the components you have on your drawings .Like the servos for example .What is the brand of the 3x3 .Can you give the brand names and possibly where we can purchase them?

Thanks
Charlie
You can roll as fast as you like, I have mine doing 360 deg/sec. It pretty much loops in its own length ! Hover etc easily depending upon motor thrust of course. If anything I think te rudder is a bit too powerful

I bought 3 X UH 3.7gm servos; 1 X 10gm UH motor and their 6Amp ESC all works really well with a UH 350mah 2 Cell.

Richard
May 04, 2008, 07:49 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Richard, let me compliment you. The Fidgit is a great looking design.

Tony
May 04, 2008, 07:57 AM
Parkesflyer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Richard, let me compliment you. The Fidgit is a great looking design.

Tony
Thanks, coming from you I take that as a real compliment ! Funny how things go, I thought my Aftergeobat was more exciting especially with LED's at night, but the Fidgit certainly has drawn more attention.

Just sticking a 42" Blu-baby together for the 10 year old to hone his skills on so take that as a return compliment

Richard

Quick Reply