Fidgit 3D an 18" KF plane for UH10g outrunner and 24" larger version - Page 5 - RC Groups
May 21, 2008, 09:55 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Richard,

Your 24 inch Fidgit in fan-fold AUW at 7.5oz flew right out of the box.
I was not ready for such splendid elevator response, as balanced (2 1/8 in from KF step) flying outside I may need triple elevator rates.
No wing rock.
My high alpha skills will certainly improve.
Looking forward to zero wind day and really shake her down.

She flies sweet thanks for sharing.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2008, 01:11 PM
Parkesflyer
Thank you for this great flight report, you certainly are more patient than I am, I can never wait while I paint a plane before trying it !

I think that the KE wing provides most of the performance you report, Ive tried this design with a flat wing and its much poorer performer.

Have a great time.

Richard
May 21, 2008, 06:04 PM
Waitn for glue to set up and watchin paint dry
Solved both;
Dual temp hot glue gun and
Dollar store acrylic / Windex 50/50 mix using hair dryer really speeds things up.
That black Sharpie work against a straight edge took longer than entire paint job.
My foam models are 100% hot glue. Fidgit-24 took less than one mini stick (4 X 0.28)

Several flights later . . .
Pushed CG forward about 3/8 inch, detuned elevator, 30 degree max, better suits my ‘hotdog’ flying style. I like her extensive speed envelope.

My wing loading is 3.3 oz/sqft.
Thinking about adding CH6 servo / flaperon coupled to elevator.
May 21, 2008, 08:40 PM
RC Flyer
Hi Richard

I finished the Fidget several days ago .I did not have any experience with building foamies but got it finished .Probably due to my inexperience with the techniques the Fidget was very flimsey and was very flexible particularly in the tail area.Everything was at the wrong angle.
I did not get the pull / pull tight enough probably as well.
We had a calm rainey day yesterday and I was determined to give it it's maiden flight .After a successfull hand lauch I proceeded to circle right and then left .It flew nice and slow and made about a dozen laps .I could see as it was flying however that the tail section was at differant angle from the wing angle ,the tail was tipped left side down compared to the wing .As far as the overall flying however so far so good ,
Foolishly I then tried a loop with about 50feet altitude .All was well until it was time to pull out .It went straight down and hit the only rock on the field.

There was a lot of damage but it was all cemented back together and ready for another try today. TodayI hand launched it and it seemed it was climbing out nicely when I made a left turn but something went drastically wrong and it took a dive directly down into the ground .Something definately folded up and control was lost.
At present I have stripped everything out of the plane and intend to go over it piece by piece and get everything straight and the controls positive and crisp.
Looked very good for a while so I have to get it back in the air.

Charlie
May 21, 2008, 09:59 PM
Keep at it Charlie! I'm relatively new to this also (this is only my my 5th scratchbuilt plane) so I've been there. When I built mine, I thought that the section between the wing and tail was flimsy also, so I put in a couple of carbon fiber rods, which really stiffened things up. All up weight on my 24" with a 3s500mah lipo ended up at 7.9 ounces. Little heavier than I was shooting for, but should still be fine. Seems that guys who are good pilots/builders can get away with a little flop, but with my heavy handed flying skills I need all the help I can get! Be sure to let us know when you get it going again.

Sterling
May 22, 2008, 12:25 AM
Parkesflyer
You are right of course I designed Fidgit trying to minimise weight and I can still remember when the days spent building & mending outnumbered the minutes in the air. I let my 10 yr old son loose on the 24" but the throws were right down, the CG was about 12mm further forward, and I put some carbon into the fusalage. It was then tough enough to bounce whenever he got it wrong. The KF wing helps a lot I believe.

Good luck, its all worth it once you get confident enough to start learning some tricks.

Richard
May 23, 2008, 09:35 PM
Finally finished my 24" Fidgit and maidened it this evening. Wind was blowing 8 to 10 mph and it finally stopped raining so I went on out to the pasture armed with 3 batteries. Spent the first pack just trying to get everything dialed in, had it finally figured out on the 2nd pack and just played around on the last one. Gramps, elevator response is an understatement! Ended up with dual rates set at: Ailerons @ 75%, Rudder @ 60%, and elevator @ 45%. Goes into a knife edge with ease and if it hadn't been for the wind, pretty sure it will hover with ease also. I'm with you, Gramps. Can't wait for no wind to see what it does!
Great plane Richard and thanks for sharing!

Sterling
May 23, 2008, 11:15 PM
Parkesflyer
Its been very interesting to hear that you all think the elevator is so powerfull, this design was my original attempt and I guess I just got used to it from the beginning. However I am delighted to hear you have enjoyed it.

One of the benefits of the KF wing I think is its wind range, Ive taken the 24" out when the wind has been howling, and on calm still days, and it seems to handle both ok. High alpha is a pleasure and I hope to hear that youve been able to hover yours in less wind.

Thanks for trying Fidgit3D

Richard
May 24, 2008, 09:31 PM
Got a chance to run a few more packs thru the Fidgit today. And I'm getting used to the handling. Dual rates are now at ; Ailerons 100%, Rudder 75%, Elavator 65%. It was a little easier for me with less wind blowing, and of course a little more stick time didn't hurt either. If weather permits (and I can talk the wife into it) might be able to shoot some video tomorrow.

Sterling
May 28, 2008, 07:51 AM
RC Flyer
Hi Richard
On the 24 inch Fidget .Could I use 6 MM EPP and get resonable performance and what size prop are you using with the typical 25 gram motor (blue wonder from Lazortoyz) ?
Thanks
Charlie
May 28, 2008, 10:13 AM
Parkesflyer
Charlie 6mm EPP will be great.

Im running a 24g Komodo KH2204-15 from 2cell and Ive got a GWS 9x4.7 fitted and that combo works fine.

Richard
May 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
Took longer than I thought, but here's a video. I apologize in advance for the poor quality and poor flying skills. Also, please ignore my daughter talking to her dog.

Sterling
May 29, 2008, 02:58 PM
Apparently here's something else I know nothing about. Hang on while I try that again.

Sterling
May 29, 2008, 03:34 PM

oops

How about this way?
Fidgit video
May 29, 2008, 10:53 PM
SWEET flight video
Thanks yardboz1
Now I understand better my humongus elevator response . . .
. . . RE post 61
Too much rpm/model speed
I gotta backoff a tad

Quick Reply