Fidgit 3D an 18" KF plane for UH10g outrunner and 24" larger version - Page 4 - RC Groups
May 12, 2008, 04:35 PM
What is the best way to cut the EPP foam?
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2008, 05:11 PM
Parkesflyer
I just use a sharp hobby type knife, EPP seems to blunt the blade quickly so I have got into a habit of sharpeing the blade every now and then. EPP cuts easily and cleanly

Richard
May 12, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the 20"
May 13, 2008, 08:34 AM
Parkesflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloper steve
Sorry if it is mentioned - does it knife alright?

Short and stubbie was unstable in knife for me from larger chords or a shorter fuse which responds strongly to its shape in knife edge.
Have you done any refinement or had any observations for nicer knife edge flight?
Thx for making it full 3D with ailerons.
The Fidgit 3D is the true 3D IFO indestructable 4 point roll program upgrade plan!
OK Im travelling for work or I would take some video of the Fidgets KE. Im no 3D expert pilot yet, Ive only been practising a while now, but I can get it to 4pt acceptably I think, however, Im just completing the design of a 28" version for an Axi 2208/34 running from 2 or 3 cells. I have taken note of a few bits of advice people have given me and Ive included the mods in teh bigger version. Watch this development space Steve ......

Richard
May 13, 2008, 12:05 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Richard,
Thanks for sharing

Your FIDGIT / 24 / KF . . .
In quarter-inch fan-fold, we play outside in the wind
24g-2712-12 on 3C/300
Apx. 7.5 oz AUW
3.3 oz sq ft, my sweet spot
Thanks again

16may, image added
Last edited by Gramps:>); May 16, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
May 13, 2008, 01:17 PM
Parkesflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps:>)
Richard,
Thanks for sharing

Your FIDGIT / 24 / KF . . .
In quarter-inch fan-fold, we play outside in the wind
24g-2712-12 on 3C/300
Apx. 7.5 oz AUW
3.3 oz sq ft, my sweet spot
Thanks again
Delighted you've built from the design - I hope you enjoy it

Richard
May 13, 2008, 11:45 PM
RC Flyer
Hi Richard

I am up to bracing .What is 3X0.6 mean ? Only on the tailplane ? Is that what I would call the elevator ?

Is that a rod taped to the movable part of the elevator?

Is the taper cut on the bottom surface of the ailerons and elevator?

All hinges made with filement tape?

Is a sketch or picture possible ? I understand pictures better than a thousand words.

Did you use tape anywhere except on the hinges?

Thanks
Charlie
May 14, 2008, 01:46 AM
Parkesflyer
Use UHU Por to stick a carbon fibre rectangular strip 3mm high x 0.5 or 0.6mm thick onto teh rear edge of the tailplane (the piece stuck into teh fusalage) this just makes the tail end more rigid. I make sure that the top of the CF is level with the top surface of teh EPP.

Hinges - Taper the leading edge of the moving surface at 45 deg, and the stationary surface about 15 deg. This keeps the EPP clear when the surface goes to 45 deg deflection. I use tape onto a UHU Por primed surface on the EPP. Blenderm is a medical tape used to hold cuts together it is soft and very sticky and works very well. I get 24 spools from a medical supply shop and then they are cheap enough.

Sketch attached as Im away from home otherwise Id take some photos for you.

Hope this helps

Richard
Last edited by RJPIoW; May 14, 2008 at 02:24 AM.
May 14, 2008, 02:31 AM
Parkesflyer

28" prototype

I have been thinking about a 28" version of Fidgit for sometime. I have incorporated many things I have learnt from AfterGeobat's KF wing, plus some ideas to improve knife edge performance.

I have not built or tested this plan yet, and it will be a couple of weeks before I get time enough at home to do so, but if you fancy a chance build pls go ahead.

I have designed it around an unused Axi 2208/34 and I plan to run it from 2cells if I get enough thrust or an 8x3.8 from a 500mah 3 cell.

Target weight is less than 10 oz.

Richard

EDIT - FOUND ERROR on the plan the fusalage should have been from 9mm EPP not 6mm

Richard
Last edited by RJPIoW; May 16, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
May 17, 2008, 12:43 AM
RC Flyer
Hi Richard

The Fidget is just about done .Just need 2 rods for the ailerons and a thin splash of spray paint for color on the top for identification and it is finished.
Auw is 3.1 oz.
The motor seems to have a lot of power for this little lightweight.

What are the throws for the controls ? Dual rate settings ? Is there any Expo needed on the low rate ? High rate ?

Take off naturally is a hand launch . 1/2 throttle ?

Any other info. or hints for the first flight ?

Thanks
Charlie
May 17, 2008, 03:27 AM
Parkesflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsy 2 Shoes
Hi Richard

The Fidget is just about done .Just need 2 rods for the ailerons and a thin splash of spray paint for color on the top for identification and it is finished.
Auw is 3.1 oz.

The motor seems to have a lot of power for this little lightweight.

What are the throws for the controls ? Dual rate settings ? Is there any Expo needed on the low rate ? High rate ?

Take off naturally is a hand launch . 1/2 throttle ?

Any other info. or hints for the first flight ?

Thanks
Charlie
Wow 89gms - it will 3D wonderfully, the motor with a 7X3.5 gave me 185gm thrust

I use +/45 deg on elevator and aileron and max possible on rudder. This gives you a VERY responsive little machine so dual rates set for 50% would be a good start point. Most people use EXP - I dont I just fly at full throw all the time but thats justa personnal preference

I hand lauch at full chat and then throttle back when airbourne and under control. It will cruise about at less than 1/2 throttle quite happily

Make sure the CG is right and the moving bits are all set at their neutral positions, then just be confident and go for it and have loads of fun ...

Thanks for building it - I hope to maiden the 28" this weekend - rain permitting ...

Richard
May 17, 2008, 03:58 AM

Glad you mentioned it Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloper steve
Sorry if it is mentioned - does it knife alright?

Short and stubbie was unstable in knife for me from larger chords or a shorter fuse which responds strongly to its shape in knife edge.
Have you done any refinement or had any observations for nicer knife edge flight?
Thx for making it full 3D with ailerons.
The Fidgit 3D is the true 3D IFO indestructable 4 point roll program upgrade plan!
KE thats the one , Ive been trying a lot on my VTO design by Jetset 44 , Dihedral , different shape fuses, mixing , havnt cracked it , and your comments about deltas rolling right and turning left , cause of adverse yaw , is a real big help to my understanding , Thanks,,,,,,, in the whole group you make the most practical sense out of flying dynamics , in other words just getting your model to fly well
May 19, 2008, 09:54 PM
How's everyone coming on this? Any video yet? I've got mine cut out and started, but also have a couple of other projects going on so I haven't been able to finish this one yet. So many things to do, so many other things my wife thinks are more important.

Sterling
May 20, 2008, 11:30 PM
Here's where I'm at with mine. Had a couple of sheets of 6mm EPP so went with that. Just need to install gear and maiden, which might happen this weekend if I can get everything ready. Power supplied by a 1300kv BW and a 3c500 mah lipo. I put a couple of Carbon Fiber rods along top running from back of wing to tail. I know you said it's not needed, but I can't help myself. Also changed the front so I could use my favorite HobbyCity motor mount. First time I've used Krylon H2O, and I'm not very happy. Stuff seems to run no matter how far back the can is or how light I try to coat it. Oh well, not my first crappy paint job!

Sterling
May 21, 2008, 04:46 AM
Parkesflyer
Good to see the photos - I deliberately set out to design Fidgit for speed of build trying not to use CF, but adding carbon makes them stiffer and tougher and adds very little weight so nothing lost.

I hope that you enjoy flying it.

I tried to maiden the 28" this weekend, and for the first time ever had a Rx failure. Thought I was going mad ! The aeriel in my 4 Ch Corona Synth Rx had taken one knock too many and was pretty much cut through.

Richard

Quick Reply