yeah, maybe i will do the f18 first
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2009, 06:40 PM
Foam abuser!
Do the F-15. I'll do the F-18.

Pat
Feb 04, 2009, 06:59 PM
Check your six
I sure like the internal servo idea Zambezi ! I will definately use it on my NEXT F22! Adam you must be proud of your accomplishment! The F22 is everyone's aircraft! Give us more!! Marty
Feb 05, 2009, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
Zambezi:

i like your substitution for carbon fiber embedded in the wing, looks lighter and easier to do! I may have to give that one a try

Great looking plane!
Thanks!
CF like I did instead of embedding in the wings is much easier to do and it works perfect; next time I definitely do it the same way.
I actually cut the parts on saturday built the plane on a rainy sunday afternoon. The hardest part is to allow the PU-glue to dry; perfect glue for the job! (also for CF-depron)

About the decalls: they are originally from a Alfa Model Mig 15 (I once found the decallsheet for 5 euro and couldn't resist to buy it). Sometime I'll built a Sukhoi like this and then I'll use the russian logo's of that sheet.

Yesterday I maidened the plane indoor, but it is way to fast in this place. Because of the small prop / high kv-inrunner it needs speed to fly good; you can't just fly on thrust, because there is no such thing on low speeds. When using a bigger prop on a outrunner, you'll have more profit of the trust-vectoring idea. On the other hand is this one pretty fast!
I think the c.o.g. has to move a bit more forward, but I expect a brilliantly and fast flying foamy for outdoor; this thing screams!
Last edited by ZamBeZi; Feb 05, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Feb 05, 2009, 08:46 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
And the F-18, and the Mig-29, and the F4D.....

Pat
That little guy flew so good at AEF I just had to go out and buy some foam board. 3 sheets of the stuff. I de-laminated it all at once in a trash bag..Yuck, took forever but I finally got it finished in the shower.....

Anyhow, it is now "in the white" I am waiting for the motor before I complete it...Pics to follow.

My smallest battery is a 3s1p 460mah, so I am expecting to get about 4 minutes of flight..

Fly low but not too low......
Feb 05, 2009, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
I sure like the internal servo idea Zambezi ! I will definately use it on my NEXT F22! Adam you must be proud of your accomplishment! The F22 is everyone's aircraft! Give us more!! Marty
Yeah; works great and very solid
I wish I had them a few mm more forward, because with my 400 mah 2S-lipo's the c.o.g. can be a little more forward

b.t.w. my F-22 weighs about 122 gr all up
Last edited by ZamBeZi; Feb 05, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Feb 05, 2009, 01:59 PM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001
That little guy flew so good at AEF I just had to go out and buy some foam board. 3 sheets of the stuff. I de-laminated it all at once in a trash bag..Yuck, took forever but I finally got it finished in the shower.....

Anyhow, it is now "in the white" I am waiting for the motor before I complete it...Pics to follow.

My smallest battery is a 3s1p 460mah, so I am expecting to get about 4 minutes of flight..

Fly low but not too low......
Can't wait for those pics!

You'll definitely have fun flying this little guy, more so than your YB I'd suspect.

And speaking of flying low, I was flying at the Gilbert Quiet Flyers field on Saturday (I'm a member there too). Since the field is really a parking lot for the Gilbert Rodeo Park, we have a rope that marks the outer edge of the runway. The rope is held up by rebar with pool noddles around them, and is about 3' off the ground.

So there I am just tooling around with the F-22, flying low and slow. It's later in the morning and most of the regulars have already left. Just a few of us stragglers remained. And of course, most of them are hecklers. Pretty soon I started hearing the calls to "fly lower!". I got so low that I actually drug the left wingtip on the ground, then kept flying.

The heckles then changed from "fly lower" to "fly under the rope!". Of course, I just had to oblige! I wound up putting the plane on the ground probably 3 times. Flying away from you, and then under the rope was no easy task. So I decided to reverse direction and fly at me. Much easier to judge distance that way. And sure enough, I managed to get cleanly under the rope on the first try!

I then landed and put the plane away. No sense in risking it any further.

Pat
Feb 05, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
i used to just dance mine around in a hover, and see how low i could get, u can slap it on the ground all u want, and pick it up and go back for more
Feb 05, 2009, 07:55 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by adbradley
i used to just dance mine around in a hover, and see how low i could get, u can slap it on the ground all u want, and pick it up and go back for more

Zambizi...Indeed a nice idea with the servos inside, I think I will try that on mine, It really looks good. Might be worked into my next "full size" F22. Now I think I will be lucky to get below 5 ounces AUW with mine. I have 9gm servos and I think the motor is 19gm and the foam is about 4.5mm or so. I have two pieces of flat CF on the fuse and I will always add my "little reinforcements" here and there.

Pat doin the Limbo with the F22, whish I could have been there to watch.

Adam, on my "full size" F22 I put some UHMW strips on my Vertical Stabs and land it upside down. Gets a lot of yelling from the peanut gallery at my field.

Both of my "full size" F22s are made of 5 or 6mm "building foam" from BPhobbies. It is pretty tough but I still have my share of extra epoxy and tape holding them together.
They are really tough enough to take it and come back for more.
Feb 05, 2009, 08:22 PM
Check your six

Low and slow

Guys I've flown mine in an indoor soccer rink (150" wide X 300" long). I could only manage about 1/4 throttle before she ate up the area. I had an absolute blast doing high alphas 2" off the ground. I did manage to dork it into the wall once, but only suffered a slightly broken nose. CA fixed her right up. Can't wait till I fly her again. BTW, I'm using a 2S 500mah cell in her. Keeps it light and it flys great. I ended up glueing some decals on the planes and outlining the airlerons and rudder with a black ink pen to finish it out. Looks kinda cool. I LOVE THIS PLANE! Next up is a small F15 Marty
Feb 06, 2009, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys
I'm using a 2S 500mah cell in her. Keeps it light and it flys great. I ended up glueing some decals on the planes and outlining the airlerons and rudder with a black ink pen to finish it out. Looks kinda cool. I LOVE THIS PLANE! Next up is a small F15 Marty
I think 2S 500 mah is a very good choise, my 400 mah is a bit small for the right c.o.g.
To compensate this, I installed a Lumifly-set in the F-22; looks great in the dark

I also did some Edding-work on the edges; 'makes a very nice finish
Feb 06, 2009, 06:04 AM
hay guys , i crashed my f22, designed new but could not understand now my weight is about 200g arround 7.2 oz but good news is, i don't need to cut prop area i think the last time when i print the plan , that was auto center, but this time i print in normal format.

hay PAT the other thing is that when i throttle up, i don't feel the power that i feel in my last F22 and if you remmember last time i put my motor little up, but this time just have a look in pic.

not sure if this can fly as i told you many time i am just a new , my last f22 crashed on girls school roof and i have waited 6 hr for wind to drop it down but any way i got it back.

any idea if this can fly in 200g ?????

here is setup

prop : 5*5 APC
Motor: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2500KV-Outrun...1%7C240%3A1318

.1 receiver : RS77S JR = 18g
.2 esc 12A = 17g
.3 Battery EVO Light 800mah = 73g
.4 servo 1 = 5g (with based that i have created to stuck)

.5 servo 2 = 5g
.6 motor with prop and prop holder = 36g
.7 elvo jointer = 4g
.8 carbon rod =3g

total : = 161g only power system
Feb 06, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
I couldnt help it, i had to draw this up, will build the prototype this weekend

17 inch ws
Feb 06, 2009, 04:03 PM
Foam abuser!
Adam,

You're killing me! Man, that is awesome! Now I know what I'll use the rest of my 3mm depron on!

Pat
Feb 06, 2009, 04:10 PM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqkhana2002
hay guys , i crashed my f22, designed new but could not understand now my weight is about 200g arround 7.2 oz but good news is, i don't need to cut prop area i think the last time when i print the plan , that was auto center, but this time i print in normal format.
That's less than 1oz more than mine, so it should have flown just fine. The only thing I can think of is if the CG was off.

Quote:
hay PAT the other thing is that when i throttle up, i don't feel the power that i feel in my last F22 and if you remmember last time i put my motor little up, but this time just have a look in pic.
I can't really tell from the pics, but check to make sure the prop is facing in the right direction. The numbers on the prop should be facing towards the front of the plane, and make sure the motor spins in the proper direction.

Quote:
here is setup

prop : 5*5 APC
Motor: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2500KV-Outrun...1%7C240%3A1318

.1 receiver : RS77S JR = 18g
.2 esc 12A = 17g
.3 Battery EVO Light 800mah = 73g
.4 servo 1 = 5g (with based that i have created to stuck)

.5 servo 2 = 5g
.6 motor with prop and prop holder = 36g
.7 elvo jointer = 4g
.8 carbon rod =3g

total : = 161g only power system
My only suggestions here would be to go with a different prop, the APC 5X5 may be too much for this motor. I would use a GWS 5X3, or an APC 4.7X4.1. And try to find a smaller mAh lipo. Something around 500mAh is preferable.

Pat

Quick Reply