Feb 19, 2008, 02:47 PM
Thread OP

A Couple of Good Pics

Got a few "Studio Shots" this morning. Lot's better then with all the background clutter.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2008, 03:35 PM
Paperwork.... Studio Shots... Are you planning to make this boat available as a kit?
Feb 19, 2008, 08:46 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Wow!
Feb 19, 2008, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Paperwork.... Studio Shots... Are you planning to make this boat available as a kit?

Aero, I hadn't planned to offer a "kit" persay, but I do have cut files for the balsa and lite ply parts. Laser cutting Sintra is a definite no-no, and CNC cutting didn't work out well either.

Actually, this one was done by "request" and will be published as a Construction Article, so the plans will be available. I've been working on finishing the plans and found they just keep getting more and more detailed. Like the model, calling it finished will require a decision as to where to "draw the line" -- so to speak Man, that was a BAD pun Anyhow, I'll take her out in the morning for the official running shots, then get it sent out.

Wow!

Prins, My sentiments exactly. This boat has an appeal that I haven't quite figured out yet. There's just a majic about it that can't help but draw you in.

PAT
Feb 20, 2008, 12:40 AM
Sounds good, Pat! Again, congratulations on a nice build!
Feb 20, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thread OP

A Few Running Shots

Here she is in full dress on the water.

PAT
Feb 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
I would have gushed more in my last post but I had just come in from chopping ice off the sidewalk and my hands weren't working too well. Simply amazing Pat. A first rate job. Being a tug fancier I lean towards boats where form follows function. She will never be mistaken for a classic Cris Craft or a new Palmer Johnson but thats OK. She has her own dignity and simple grace.
Feb 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Pat,
That is an amazing job, One beautiful build. The nicest styrene build I have seen.
Steve
Feb 22, 2008, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Sleb, Thanks much for that. The more I work with Sintra, the better I like it. The flexibility is way beyond anything else I've found, and the lack of need for pre-sealing and filling grain for painting sure does simplify the finishing process as well. For a boat like this, there's just nothing better.

PAT
Feb 23, 2008, 06:38 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
looks good on the water Pat, as for what she did before being a dive boat, if it hasn't been answered already, looks like a harbor pilot boat.
Feb 23, 2008, 07:49 AM
Thread OP
Ghost. The Wendigo was built in the 60's for the Ministry of Lands and Forest and worked in the Manitoulin Island area (northern Ontario) as a survey vessel. At that time it had a wood cabin about half the size of what's on it now. It was then purchased by the Kings Dive Marine Group in the 90's and converted to a Dive/Marine Salvage boat. The new cabin was designed and built by Metalcraft Marine.

You can see some of their stuff here; http://www.metalcraftmarine.com/html/firestorm_50.html Looks like a good place to find another great design subject.

PAT
Mar 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
Pat, thought I would stop by and show my Wendigo #2 being built. This is the model I told you about, that I intend to give to the owner of the full-size Wendigo. So hope to have it finished by middle of August!
Cheers,
GY

PS: Charlie's laser cutting is great!

Photos of my daughter Rebecca and Anita my wife on the dive platform
Inside pix of Anita and Mark "Tizzer" Tisdale, our good friend and the skipper of the Wendigo.

The model is all finished up to the deck and I am installing motor, drive shaft and rudder this weekend.

Am using a combo of 1/32 inch ply and Expanded PVC plastic in the model's construction.
Mar 26, 2008, 04:07 PM
Great looking boat, I like your work . Excellent

Keep it up
Stephen
Mar 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
Thread OP
Gerry, Looking good. Will keep keeping a close eye on the progress.

PAT
Apr 14, 2009, 05:23 AM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
Pat, can you vary the scale of the laser cut kit? I thought it might be fun to build one larger to match the scale of G.I. Joe's from the 1970's. They had so many cool scuba diving outfits and accessories. I know I can scale the plans up, just wondered if the laser cutter can enlarge too or if they must still to your original scale?

Thanks,

Scott

Quick Reply