Feb 12, 2008, 08:43 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
I was pretty surprised when the shaft siezed, but at the time it never occured to me that running the like metals might be a problem. But Andrew, from a purely logical standpoint, your comments do make perfect sense.

I guess this is one of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" moments where steel on brass had been working fine for years, and should have left well enough alone. Oh well, sometimes you have to learn the hard way. But then those are always the lessons best learned.

PAT
Thank you Pat for picking up the tuition for all of us getting educated on this issue. The boat looks great. A bug or two during shake down is to be expected. If everything went perfect all the time where would the challenge be, or the opportunity to learn?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Prins, No problem, glad to help out -- I think??? But seriously, I got the new steel shaft in today and the system runs smooth and quiet. Let it run on the bench for 5 or 6 minutes and in the end she still rotated freely, so this time I know the run will go without a hitch.

BTW, I have used braze rods in the past with good results, but those are much harder then the K&S brass stock I used on this project.

PAT
Feb 13, 2008, 04:23 AM
Maltese sparrow

Metals bearing on each other

Gents,

The key word for bad bearing metals is "identical"
The thing that leads to galling and welding is the Van Der Waals forces at the surface if the metal, and they only become an issue if the structure is near-identical.
You can run K&S brass shaft on a soldered-on-and-drilled-out brass nut (I have a friend who does that) The nut is a free- machining brass (with lots of lead in it) and won't pick up.

But in general keep the metal families further apart than that - and include nylon or another water-lubricated plastic if possible

andrew
Feb 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thread OP

A Very Successful Re-Maiden

Got out today and got a 1 hour and 10 minute run on the Wendigo this morning. With the new steel shaft and larger prop the model ran great, and so quiet you couldn't even hear the motor run. In all, I'd call this one a success. Now it's time to get down to the last of the details and finishe her up.

PAT
Feb 16, 2008, 06:31 PM
She really came out great, Pat! Congratulations on a super build!
Feb 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Terrific build thread. Brilliant model. Wonderful pics. Life is good.
It's good to learn new tips & tricks from these build threads. Thanks for teaching.
Best regards.
Paul.
Feb 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Guys, It's always nice to see a plan come together, and even after the minor snag with the prop shaft all is well now. Spent the better part of the day getting the model detailed, will process the pics and post them in the morning. At this point, the only thing left is to make up the decals and she's officially done!

PAT
Feb 18, 2008, 01:05 AM
Grumpa Tom
Very unusual model subject, and it looks great on the water.
Feb 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thread OP

The Rear Decks Get Some Detail Too

The borading ladder and grab handle were fabricated and glued in place on the dive platform. The ladder can be folded up and down. The generator was built up and glued in place.
Feb 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thread OP

Giving Her a Name

The decals were made up in MS Word and printed on Avery Clear Label. A clearcoat was applied, and when dry, the script was added to the model.
Feb 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
Thread OP

One Last Detail

The last detail to be added before I call this one done will be to add the SCUBA tanks. The mold master was made from dowel and duct tape, then a silicone mold made and the tanks cast from resin. The tanks take about 15 minutes apece to mold, then they'll be painted, weathered and glued in place on the dive platform.

PAT
Feb 18, 2008, 02:02 PM
Thread OP

Getting the Tanks painted and Mounted

The tanks were painted yellow, then dry brushed with silver. The tanks were glued in place on the dive platform, then the frames were built around them.
Feb 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
Thread OP

And With That, the Wendigo is Officially Finished

At this point I think we'll call this one done. Will get out and get some official running shots with all the details added real soon. So now, it's time to "finish the paperwork".

PAT

Quick Reply