to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thread OP

Skinning the Hull

This is the first of my designs to incorperate Sintra (expanded PVC plastic) for skinning the hull -- and I guarentee it won't be the last. 1.2 MM sheet was used for the sides, bottom anbd deck.

It all starts on the bottom. The lower skins are cut to shape, trimmed and fitted, then glued in place.
Jan 07, 2008, 10:45 AM
Thread OP

Adding Power and Guidance

The rudder was built up from brass and soldered together. The control horn was made from brass and a wheel collar. The servo was glued into the hull and the pushrod connected.

The prop shaft was made from brass tube with internal bushings. The tube is so long that I was afraid the prop shaft would flop around inside the tube, so a third bushing was pressed into the tube with a home made tool. Using this method, as many bushings as are deamed necessary can be pressed into the shaft.

The bearing tubes were glued into the hull and the rudder servo and motor glued in place with Household Goop.
Jan 07, 2008, 10:49 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Deck

The deck sheets were fitted in the same fashion as the hull skins.
Jan 07, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Splash Rails

Patterns were made for the foreward spash rails. The parts were cut out and clued in place, followed by the aft sections. The bumper railings were then added using .125" and .093" half round styrene strips.

From here, it's on to the cabin assembly.

PAT
Jan 07, 2008, 11:47 AM
Grumpa Tom
Pat: Just idle curiosity, but how many boats/ships/planes do you have going at one time?
Jan 07, 2008, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
K, The short "wise guy" answer would be "too many" But really, at the moment there's 4; the Bluefish sub, the Lyman review, the Chris-Craft Tripple Cockpit and the Wendigo. I usually try to keep it at 2, but sometimes things get a little out of control That's how it works when there's lots of great stuff to do -- and you're grossly lacking in Self Control!!!

PAT
Jan 07, 2008, 01:23 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
K, The short "wise guy" answer would be "too many" But really, at the moment there's 4; the Bluefish sub, the Lyman review, the Chris-Craft Tripple Cockpit and the Wendigo. I usually try to keep it at 2, but sometimes things get a little out of control That's how it works when there's lots of great stuff to do -- and you're grossly lacking in Self Control!!!
PAT
Good answer, Pat.

Mine would have been, "Too many for my own good---."
Jan 07, 2008, 01:57 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Pat,

Your speed of building boats amazes me. A while back I came across this dive boat, a bit bigger than yours but the mail boxes interested me. http://www.melfisher.com/Library/Pho...der%20Makeover

I tried to post just the picture but it wouldn't let me.
Jan 07, 2008, 03:49 PM
Grumpa Tom
This picture?
Jan 07, 2008, 07:39 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
"Wendigo", the name has been on my mind ever since you posted the article, Pat.

Years ago, I recall reading something concerning Native American Indian legends where that name came up.

Checking back on it, the wendigo was a malevolent spirit, or carnivorous beast---.

Maybe they want to rename the boat---?
Jan 07, 2008, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
...a carnivorous beast---.
Hee hee! Sounds like me at a barbeque!
Last edited by Aerominded; Jan 07, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Jan 07, 2008, 11:14 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
This picture?
I like the one from the rear quarter showing the mailboxes.
Jan 08, 2008, 12:13 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Hee hee! Sounds like me at a barbeque!
Aero, I just did a search on the net, and found what Wikipedia had to say---.

Cannibalism, greed, among other things---. Not a good name to pick for anything---.
Last edited by der kapitan; Jan 08, 2008 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply