Jan 05, 2008, 06:08 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbait
It would cost exactly 2 MN-48 servos more and a 20A higher ESC. The E-Flite J3 (which I have and love!) takes 4 servos, a Power 25 and a 40A ESC and 3s lipo - same as the wheeled Beaver, except the Beav recommends a 60A ESC.

The Float version would be more still, an extra $10 for the Power 32 over the Power 25, and another $40 for the 4s over the 3s lipo... plus the cost of floats.
OK.... not sure what I was smoking when I wrote that.... somehow I read that to read "how much more would it cost than the Cub...?"

Ah well. The Cub is a fantastic plane, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I just wish it had a) been a bit more crash-resistant; and b) had foam on the back of the firewall so that the motor-mount bolts hadn't speared my lipo when it did crash
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Does the Beaver use standard or micro sized servos?
Jan 05, 2008, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
Does the Beaver use standard or micro sized servos?
Mid size - these:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=JSP20040
Mike
Jan 05, 2008, 10:44 PM
Is that equal to an HS-55 or slightly bigger? If bigger, is it equal to the servos that come with the Spektrum DX7? I believe those are standard sized. I don't want to have to blow another $120 on servos.
Jan 05, 2008, 10:50 PM
AA6JB
HS55s are considered Sub Micro servos

MN48s are minis, thus larger and stronger torque-wise.

Specs for MN48:

Specs

* Type:Mini
* Torque:48 oz/in @ 4.8V
* Speed:.18/60 @ 4.8v, .15/60 @ 6v
* Dimensions (WxLxH):0.58 x 1.30 x 1.02
* Weight:0.8 oz
* Bearing:Ball bearing output
* Application:20- to 40-size Aircraft

Specs for HS55:

* Torque:15.27 / 18.05 oz.in (4.8v/6v) 1.1 / 1.3 kg.cm
* Speed:0.17 / 0.14 sec @ 60deg.
* Dimensions (WxLxH):0.89" x 0.45" x 0.94"
* Weight:0.28oz (8.00g)
* Bearing:None
* Motor Type:Coreless
Jan 05, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks BARNESJONR. Do you think standard servos would work?
Jan 05, 2008, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
Thanks BARNESJONR. Do you think standard servos would work?
They likely would - with modification (full size will be larger and the trays will need modified). And of course the weight penalty.
Jan 05, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm thinking the ailerons and flaps would take the standards and then get some mini's for the rudder and elevator. As for weight, I'll go the Power 32 route on 4s so those several extra ounces shouldn't be too bad.
Jan 06, 2008, 01:03 AM
The sky is my playground.
John, I guess I'm a little confused. If you need to make video of the plane on floats and all your lakes are frozen, why not take some company funded trip to say southern CA. and find a lake? I betcha it's warm enough down there? You could do a little vacation time and do some "marketing."

Well, I ordered mine up through the LHS. I didn't want to miss out. I also ordered the floats and the ESC too. That'll get my wallet started. I'll order the remaining stuff in a couple weeks..
Jan 06, 2008, 01:16 AM
AA6JB
Hey John, if they were down there right now, the winds would blow them all the back home probably!

The West Coast is quite the mess right now. The weather is so bad we cannot get out and fly! And to add insult to injury, just when you accept it and decide it won't be so bad to stay home and work on building some projects ... POOF ... the power goes out and stays out for 24 hours!!

Hey Countrygentlemen ... my opinion is that standards would probably be too large, extra weight and just overkill all the way around?
Jan 06, 2008, 10:21 AM
Reserved Parking
Thread OP
If the plane is similar to the cub as far as servo requirements, the Hitec 225 should be a good choice.

I like the marketing trip idea. I think the plane should be in a natural setting like a beach in the Florida Keys. I'll be happy to tag along as an impartial test flier and photographer...
Jan 06, 2008, 10:24 AM
A company funded trip to Souhtern California would be great, I could see some old friends and enjoy the land of opportunity again. I like the way you think D9, come run our company so I can get some good R & R.

Standard size servos will be a bit big and I am not sure they will fit in the wing. You could enlarge the holes in the fuselage to accept them if you so wanted, but the wings, I would suggest staying with a mid sized servo for ease of installation. Hitec HS 225's or HS-85's would do the job if you don't want to use the JR Sport servos. I believe they are very close to the same price, check them out and see.

John
Last edited by John Redman; Jan 06, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Jan 06, 2008, 10:41 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
John, you could save your company the trip mone to send you to California and just send the Beaver to me along with the floats and I would gladly video it for you here in sunny Florida. Just trying to be helpful. Tom
Jan 06, 2008, 11:01 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Ok, well add another kit to the list.. Man.. I've got to slow down..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Jan 06, 2008, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
John, you could save your company the trip mone to send you to California and just send the Beaver to me along with the floats and I would gladly video it for you here in sunny Florida. Just trying to be helpful. Tom
Hey John! I am futher south than Tom, I'll even find ya a place to sleep. Oh, BTW, there is a nice pond in my back yard and a runway in the front yard!!

And N905JR ??? Juliet Romeo AKA John Redman ??

Quick Reply