Jan 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
After having the plane for over 2 years, I finally got it finished up and took it out for its maiden flight today! The first takeoff was ugly and all over the place, I ended up maxing out my trim which now I need to adjust before the next flight day. Plenty of power! Once I got it to cruise it flew pretty nice. A lot different than the other planes I am used to. Is it super touchy to anyone else? I have all the throws on low rate and it is super responsive! I threw in 25% AIL to RUD mix and I might go a little more on that. I have the trim on the elevator up as much as I'm allowed along with as far right as I can so I'll have to fix those before the next time. I am thinking of getting bigger tires for it as well. The first flight I flew it without and flaps to elevator mix and that was a pain! I have the mix for that spot on now and flies much better with flaps. My problem is though, I have a bad tendency to bring it in faster than I probably should. I'm just too nervous about stalling it! As far as the ESC goes, I have on major concern on that. It doesn't give much of a warning before the battery gets too low, and when it does it's "wee-wee-wee" noise, its VERY quiet! How do you guys deal with that? I did 4 landings total with the one battery. That's pretty much the whole flight report for today! Hopefully next time, it will be clear blue skies! I am including a picture and some videos (which aren't great quality). Thanks to everyone for the help, this plane is finally flying!

Me with the plane before the flight (Just in case it doesn't come back in one piece)

First Take Off
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...rstTakeoff.mp4

Low flyby
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...rent=Flyby.mp4

Second Take Off
http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...2ndtakeoff.mp4
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
Electric baptism 1975
1st.......on a plane this size I highly recommend you do NOT fly to the cut off; but use a timer, starting low & checking how many maH you put back in. Work up to about 75 - 80% usage. Batteries will last MUCH longer.
Yeah mine was twitchy first flight; but I needed a lot of down elevator.
In the photo it seems the stab may not be quite parallel to wings,though the pic is a hair off straight on.
Jan 30, 2012, 06:10 AM
I got FPV fever
Congrat Lunchbox for getting a successful maiden. 2 years was worth waiting for

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
1st.......on a plane this size I highly recommend you do NOT fly to the cut off; but use a timer, starting low & checking how many maH you put back in. Work up to about 75 - 80% usage. Batteries will last MUCH longer.
Yeah mine was twitchy first flight; but I needed a lot of down elevator.
In the photo it seems the stab may not be quite parallel to wings,though the pic is a hair off straight on.
+1 from here on both points.

You also need to remember that LiPos make nose dive when you reach approx 30% - you'll have a disaster waiting to happen. So it can become a loose-loose situation (unless you enjoy frequent repairing)

Enjoy flying

Cheers
Last edited by CurrentDude; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Jan 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
Good job on the maiden Lunchbox. I'm sure you'll get the throws and trim dialed in. I have Dubro 5-inch Tundra Tires (Tower Hobbies) on mine which are pretty cool although they do add quite a bit of weight compared to the stock tires.
Jan 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
I'd recommend you use your radio to its full advantage! Use 30% Expo on all surfaces on low rates, 35 to 40% on high rates. High rate while on wheels are probably never needed from the two I've seen fly. They where both very touchy fliers without being tamed by expo. High rates also caused severe tip stall if speed was allowed to drop off.
I would aslo use no more than 15% aileron to rudder, another area where too much rudder can cause a stall. FWIW Doug B
Jan 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
It is a scale taildrager and it will require attention on take off to not ground loop.

Set the push rod for the tail wheel as close in on the servo as possible, Makes it track easier.

be sure the tail wheel and rudder are ligned up so that it will taxi straight

Should not be twitchie in flight, very stable

Use throttle for landing, hold a little up elevator with flaps down and then reduce throttle to touch down. It is difficult to do a full power off landing.

Not a trainer so do not try to fly to slow, Flaps down it will slow down very well but you have to be aware of what it is doing. Go to far and it will tip stall.

If your elevator is a bit out of aligne you will still be ok, it will only show up in loops where it will not traack perfectly.

Dennis

Dennis
Feb 02, 2012, 11:32 AM
I agree:

1. Use a timer and don't fly to lipo cutoff, or near. This plane does not float. If you do lose power dead stick straight in, no turns, easy on the up elevator, no flaps. Ask me how I know.

2. I tamed twitchy ground handling by turning the clevis upside down at the servo (to clear the servo output shaft bearing housing), and drilling a new hole in the servo arm as close as possible to the center of the servo arm while still maintaining clearance. Combined with 30% expo that completely cured my ground handling issues.

Regards,

Bruno
Feb 04, 2012, 09:41 PM

Power 32 on floats. NEED MOTOR SUGGESTIONS

Hello guys I have the beaver on flots and I really like this plane.However maybe its just me but I think with the power 32 and a cc 60 amp esc with a 13-6.5-6 prop she could use a little more. I have higher end hyperion bats so i dont think the problem is there. My seems to cruise at 7/8 power if you fly it much slower it has some nasty tip stall tendencies. I know its a scale plane and im not looking to fly it like a jet. I am interested in a axi motor can anyone reccomend me one for the 60 amp esc 13 -14 inch prop on 4s power.I am just interested in axi motors i know ther eare others out there that are good to but always wanted to try axi so now is the tie
Feb 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
I fly mine on the Power 32 and floats using an Eflite Pro60 ESC and I have no power issues. Cruises just at about 50-60% power, climbs full throttle VERY steep. Full loops from level with no issues. I am using an APC 13 x 6.5.

You may want to check your watt meter. I had "new" batteries that I did not store charge, and after one season, they were bad. 30% less power which can make your plane feel like a dog at the high end.

See if you are pulling 750-800 watts before you change your motor, cause it may be your battery.
Feb 15, 2012, 03:22 PM

read all 240 pages

Been looking at this plane since it came out at $150.00
Just took delivery from HH at $250.00 including the once free cockpit kit.
This thread has been interesting, could have been much shorter without all the arguing and off subject posts.
Some of you guys who've been on here all along were very helpful, I've started a log of good build tips and add-ons.
jgalexander, I'd like to hear from you on your Seniorita, I'm flying my second one now and wondering if I should float it as a float trainer?
Feb 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
It will be a little heavier and require more attention on the floats.

I have been flying mine on floats and really enjoy it.It is not a trainer, and requires some skill. If you understand and respect what it can do it is just great. Get it slow get the nose up, or hold the nose up in a turn and it will make you an unhappy person.

It will go slow with the flaps, but not slow like a light weight 3D airplane,

If you are comfortable on wheels then you should be ok with the floats, if you are getting some stalls and recovering maybe not quite yet.

Dennis
Feb 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks Dennis, you've been one of the helpful contributors on this thread, glad you're still around.
Ed
Feb 16, 2012, 01:40 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjahar42
Just took delivery from HH at $250.00 including the once free cockpit kit.

jgalexander, I'd like to hear from you on your Seniorita, I'm flying my second one now and wondering if I should float it as a float trainer?
Congrats on the new bird! What's a seņorita?
Josh

By the way, my float trainer? Hobbyzone Cub on floats. Big fun
Feb 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
And remember to keep at least 1/4 throttle with floats and full flaps. Then I ease off the throttle slowly as I kiss the water because you don't want to dump the prop in the water.
Feb 16, 2012, 06:20 PM
Sorry jgalexander I confused your name with someone else.
Thanx for the tip tclaridge
Last edited by Edjahar42; Feb 16, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply