The Nirvana Yacht Thread - Page 749 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

May 07, 2017, 11:25 PM
Boomer1
I use their wire for smaller applications. I found after testing a number of leaders the 30 lb. test is perfect.
It is critical the sleeves are matched to the wires diameter to hold correctly. I posted a picture of the Beadalon wire I use for the life lines on my Yamaha RTW.
I opted for this as it last forever. The kit comes with a good grade of line but gets really dirty over time.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 08, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks for that! Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilding
Raehm

Our club has had success with this line for both sheets and standing rigging:
Berkley GTQS50-14 Gorilla Tough Custom Spool with 50-Pounds Line Test, Camo Green, 300-Yards

Grommets to secure the sheet pins on the booms? Definitely available from any large hardware store.

Just about all of the 'wear and tear' replacement items on the boat, such as servos, battery holders and switches can be sourced from large hobby outlets on the internet, the real problems come with Nirvana specific items such as the mast crane, fins and, of course, the hull.

Hope you can keep your boat on the water!
May 08, 2017, 03:07 PM
AMA# BR549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor FL Bob
We mounted the new MateCam 808 micro camera to our deck this past weekend. Fun stuff!

Mounted it to the starboard side of the rear hatch. Should have mounted it at the higher middle. The little camera went under water a couple times but still works great. Need to take it apart and maybe coat the electronics with some goo to make it more waterproof.

Bob/Bradenton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnq...ature=youtu.be
VERY nice!
May 15, 2017, 01:28 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
Where can I find replacement sails?
May 15, 2017, 05:37 PM
Boomer1

potential source for replacement sails

Seebee CE
The pictures below show chidago's Nirvana back a few years (2011) equipped with custom sails made for him by Walrus Sails in Arizona. That would mean he made a pattern. No one that I am aware of makes exact replacement sails for the Nirvana. I got the last OEM set for a buddy from sailrc had before they were gone.

Dennis also provided the thread with race rigging for a Nirvana. Have go back in the thread to find that report with pictures and good descriptions.
Dennis Desprois Walrus Sails and R/C Yachts http://www.ddesprois-rc-boats.com/Site/Blank.html
480-227-3754

Rodd Carr at Carr Sails maybe able to help 425 881 2846

Be sure to post the results of your calls for others to know if you were successful
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 15, 2017 at 07:49 PM.
May 16, 2017, 01:11 AM
Kimo
Just checked Carr web site and list sails for the Nirvana at $120 plus shipping.
May 16, 2017, 05:15 PM
AMA# BR549
Quote:
Originally Posted by hircsailor
just checked carr web site and list sails for the nirvana at $120 plus shipping.
win!
May 16, 2017, 05:18 PM
Yosef Sailor
Moving forward, how will topics like sail replacement and parts replacement be handled?

We know there are many sail makers out there that provide excellent sails but they would need to be approved to be class legal and to used in both local and national races. Regarding parts, many have shown ways to fix parts within the thread. New parts would need to be class approved as well.

Just some food for thought.

I hope all is going well in the US. We will be leaving Singapore in June for our next destination of The Netherlands. I am looking forward to lots of sailing in my future.

Take care.
DW
May 16, 2017, 07:24 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor
Just checked Carr web site and list sails for the Nirvana at $120 plus shipping.
Being a relative noob to sailing maybe it's just me but I have to ask, is that a normal price for a set of sails in this size? It seems very expensive to me (roughly 40ish percent the cost of the boat?) but I don't really have a frame of reference to compare....
May 16, 2017, 07:37 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea
Being a relative noob to sailing maybe it's just me but I have to ask, is that a normal price for a set of sails in this size? It seems very expensive to me (roughly 40ish percent the cost of the boat?) but I don't really have a frame of reference to compare....
Making sails is a very labor-intensive task. Also, aftermarket sails (=the ones that don't come with the kit) are most likely MUCH better then the original ones.

That said, I can google IOM A-suit sails for about US$100... (see http://www.bgsailsanddesign.com/sails.html and http://jelacicsailing.com/sails), so yes, us$120 looks like a steep price for a set of smaller sails...

Regards,
Thomas
May 17, 2017, 06:26 AM
In my view making Nirvana sails is a much less intensive task than making, say IOM or Santa Barbara sails, which are paneled and require real sailmaker skill. The price for those sails reflects that extra skill.
The question raised about class legality and getting parts class approved is an interesting one as there is no Nirvana Class Owners Association and the class is a 'manufacturers class.'
May 17, 2017, 11:29 PM
Yosef Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilding
In my view making Nirvana sails is a much less intensive task than making, say IOM or Santa Barbara sails, which are paneled and require real sailmaker skill. The price for those sails reflects that extra skill.
The question raised about class legality and getting parts class approved is an interesting one as there is no Nirvana Class Owners Association and the class is a 'manufacturers class.'
Peter,

Thanks for helping to clarify.

I appreciate the input.

Hope all is well.
DW
May 18, 2017, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE
Where can I find replacement sails?
Seebee,
Check your pm's.
gvank
May 22, 2017, 01:59 PM
Oddity for this morning's race: (FINAL)

Sorry for the very late followup on the crosstalk I was having with my new FlySky Transmitter/Receiver.

The supplier (through Amazon) sent me a new set under the warranty. TNP Direct. Very good people and very responsive.

Before installing the new set in my Nirvana, I changed out the batteries (4 AA's) in the Receiver portion. The old batteries, according to my "free" Harbor Freight voltmeter (apparently you get what you pay for) had said that the old batteries were way in the green. Amazon Alkalines which I like better than rechargeables for my boat.

When I tested the boat with the new batteries, no crosstalk at all. Put the old batteries in and the rudder moved as before when the sail lever was pushed. (Both moved at the same time, not good).

SO, after all that testing and the BB's highly valuable inputs, it turns out that it was just the batteries were low in voltage, not the FlySky gear.

I just advised TNP Direct of the battery problem that I would buy the new set from them too. Least that I could do after all that...

So pass this along, if you get crosstalk between channels, change the batteries to new, fresh, before you blame the electronic gear.

Thanks again for the great input. Bob/Bradenton

PS: Here's a little video that we did of our last, (of the sailing season here (Snowbirds headed back up North)), race. Actually not the race but of a RC tug that one of our group brought to the race:

Don's Tugboat (7 min 24 sec)
Jun 07, 2017, 06:49 PM

For Sale

There are two Nirvana's for sale on Ebay.
gvank