The Nirvana Yacht Thread - Page 748 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Apr 20, 2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks Guys!!!

Great suggestions. Lots of "homework" tonight. I'll let you know. Very good continuing troubleshooting ideas. That's just what I need...Thanks Again-Bob/Bradenton

PS: I had moved that tiny MateCam 808 from the side of the rear hatch to the top of the hatch to keep it out of the water. (Did you see in my video, it go under water!?) I had thought that maybe it was causing some sort of interference but after removing it, the symptoms are still there, even with the multiple Factory Resets...More later...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2017, 04:30 PM
Always trying to learn
One other quick thought. Create a second (new) model on your radio and make it a helicopter instead of an airplane (don't delete your first one, just create another). Binding this new model/memory spot to the receiver and see if the same issues exist. The idea is that any default mixing that might be created in an airplane model would not be the same in a heli model. Given the history that you've explained (i.e. that it worked for 2 weeks and then got flaky) there's no particular reason to think that this will fix things but it's just one more thing to try to narrow things down....I'd probably try the previous suggestions first.
Apr 20, 2017, 07:37 PM
Need another one for our "fleet"; anybody know of one for sale?

Cap'n Narly
Apr 20, 2017, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Nordeck
Need another one for our "fleet"; anybody know of one for sale?
Where are you located?
Apr 20, 2017, 09:06 PM
Wunderful WY !!
Apr 21, 2017, 07:00 AM
Ref: "Oddity for this morning's race:"

Thanks again guys for all the great suggestions. Tried them all and the FlySky Controller/Receiver is still acting the same. Again, very very good troubleshooting ideas. That's just what I needed. Thanks again!!!

So, I put the original Nirvana Receiver back in and used the original Nirvana Controller.

The only issue that I am having is that in the Sail lever mode, the bottom half of the lever travel works great, the Sail arm moves correctly in and out.

However, once I go over the half way point, the Sail arm, already at its "sail-in, tight" mode, cuts in an out. The red LED light cuts in and out too. Seems to be over-stressing the servo so it cuts out/turns the circuit power On and Off as it recycles.

I moved the Trim adjuster all the way to the down position and this helps a bit but if I forget during a race to stop the lever at the half way mark, the Sail is going to start pulling in and then letting loose as the servo cycles On and Off.

Does this just mean that I need to reposition the Sail arm on the servo?

Looks like I'll be racing on Saturday anyway. I'll mount the MateCam 808 and do a posting if everything works out. (However, if I am winning the races, no boats will be in front of me so the Cam won't show anything interesting/HA!) Bob/Bradenton
Apr 21, 2017, 10:11 AM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor FL Bob
Ref: "Oddity for this morning's race:"

Thanks again guys for all the great suggestions. Tried them all and the FlySky Controller/Receiver is still acting the same. Again, very very good troubleshooting ideas. That's just what I needed. Thanks again!!!

So, I put the original Nirvana Receiver back in and used the original Nirvana Controller.

The only issue that I am having is that in the Sail lever mode, the bottom half of the lever travel works great, the Sail arm moves correctly in and out.

However, once I go over the half way point, the Sail arm, already at its "sail-in, tight" mode, cuts in an out. The red LED light cuts in and out too. Seems to be over-stressing the servo so it cuts out/turns the circuit power On and Off as it recycles.

I moved the Trim adjuster all the way to the down position and this helps a bit but if I forget during a race to stop the lever at the half way mark, the Sail is going to start pulling in and then letting loose as the servo cycles On and Off.

Does this just mean that I need to reposition the Sail arm on the servo?

Looks like I'll be racing on Saturday anyway. I'll mount the MateCam 808 and do a posting if everything works out. (However, if I am winning the races, no boats will be in front of me so the Cam won't show anything interesting/HA!) Bob/Bradenton
The red light going out most likely means that the servo is stalling and drawing enough current to cause the voltage to drop which, in turn, causes the receiver to shut down momentarily until you release the load on the servo. Since the original transmitter isn't programmable at all your solutions are limited.

1) If your sail servo is programmable (and you have a programming box for it) you could change the throw on it electronically.
2) If you can't do 1) you could move the point at which the sheets "attach" to the servo arm inwards. This will give more servo travel for any given amount of sail travel since the arc length path will be shorter. This option may not be practical since the location of sheet pulley is fixed on the servo arm (not sure what you are using for the servo arm for your sails currently)?
3) Someone a few pages back suggested putting a physical stop on the transmitter to prevent you from raising the stick too much - this may be your most practical option at this point.
Apr 21, 2017, 10:36 AM
Ah HA! I remember that post. Thanks for the reminder. I'll play with the arm a bit but will add a "stop" on the Controller to keep me from moving it up too far...Thanks, racing in the morning...Bob/Bradenton
Apr 25, 2017, 03:56 PM
AMA# BR549

Yet more...

.....Florida sailing!!

Nirvana afternoon sail! (27 min 5 sec)
Apr 25, 2017, 09:55 PM

Need Nirvana 2 keel

I Need a Nirvana 2 keel. If any one has an extra for sell, please let me know. If not, can somebody provide me the dimensions and weight so I can build one? I will not be racing, so it doesn't have to be race legal.
May 07, 2017, 11:29 AM

rigging

Greetings!

I have enjoyed my Nirvana for several years....but it finally needs some servicing.

Since SailRC is no longer in business, can anyone recommend any source for parts?

Also, what would be a good substitution for sail cloth, nylon rigging lines and grommets?

Thanks!
Last edited by Raehm; May 07, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
May 07, 2017, 11:53 AM
Boomer1
Rigging upgrades are simple. Sails can be replaced. There were a couple of sail makers that have the patterns. What else are you looking for?
I will send details later today.
Boomer
May 07, 2017, 07:13 PM

Nirvana servicing items

Raehm

Our club has had success with this line for both sheets and standing rigging:
Berkley GTQS50-14 Gorilla Tough Custom Spool with 50-Pounds Line Test, Camo Green, 300-Yards

Grommets to secure the sheet pins on the booms? Definitely available from any large hardware store.

Just about all of the 'wear and tear' replacement items on the boat, such as servos, battery holders and switches can be sourced from large hobby outlets on the internet, the real problems come with Nirvana specific items such as the mast crane, fins and, of course, the hull.

Hope you can keep your boat on the water!
May 07, 2017, 08:58 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm
Greetings!
I have enjoyed my Nirvana for several years....but it finally needs some servicing.
Since SailRC is no longer in business, can anyone recommend any source for parts?
Also, what would be a good substitution for sail cloth, nylon rigging lines and grommets?
Thanks!
Raehm
Peter has gotten you some information already. Sorry for the delay - had an out of town guest here earlier. My suggestions for replacing the shrouds on a Nirvana are well documented within this thread. Because this thing is such a monster I'll give you the readers digest version here to save you from hunting through the hundreds of posts to find the information.

I replaced the factory shroud wire with a 1x7 strand nylon coated SS 30 ib. test fishing leader and "rigging screws" or turnbuckles if you prefer. There are so many benefits to this upgrade - it's easier to say just do it. Seriously, the boat is much easier to transport, set up/tune, will last forever, looks good. It is easy to do for anyone of average intelligence and skills.

The rigging screws can be purchased from sailsetc.com
Here are some details: the link to the online store -
http://www.sailsetc2.com/store/index...g-rigging.html

The 2nd part of this upgrade is the SS fishing leader. The product I use is made by American Fishing Wire. It's called Surfon 1 x 7 strand nylon coated SS fishing leader 30lb. test in the bright finish part number C030T-O. You will need the matching crimp sleeves part number J030B-B
The picture below shows you exactly what you need. one roll of 30 feet is plenty. These links takes you to a good source for both items:
https://www.afwhiseas.com/product-p/c030t-0.htm

https://www.afwhiseas.com/product-p/j03b-b.htm

What else do you need?
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; May 07, 2017 at 09:04 PM.
May 07, 2017, 11:09 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
A very similar wire is the Beadalon products, that come in various weights and strand counts. According to Beadalon it is also stainless steel. If you are near a Michaels store, use their 40% off coupon. They have various crimp sizes, #1 for a single strand doubled back ( two strands thru the crimp, # 2 for two wires doubled back, etc. I use pliers to crimp them, don't over do it.

BP