Jan 01, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm a Registered User
Question

How do I get Velcro to stick to foam?

I use Velcro to stick my batterys on my foamies. The problem is that the Velcro sticks to it's self so well that when I try to pull the pack off, often the velcro(and a skin of foam) pull off the plane instead of the Velcro seperating. I've tried plain Velcro, hot glue, and 5 min epoxy to stick it on, all with similar results. What's the trick to getting the Velcro to stay on the foam?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2008, 06:48 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
try sliding it to the side as you take the pack off. it mutilates the fuzzy side but it works. or get a different brand of velcro.

Regards,

Nick.
Jan 01, 2008, 06:56 PM
I usually cut the blucor skin off just under where the velcro tape goes (fuzzy tape I put on the battery), then I spread on a layer of UHU or gws contact cement on the foam, let it dry and put the non fuzzy half of the velcro on. This works good for me.

paul
Jan 01, 2008, 07:05 PM
AMA 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff
I use Velcro to stick my batterys on my foamies. The problem is that the Velcro sticks to it's self so well that when I try to pull the pack off, often the velcro(and a skin of foam) pull off the plane instead of the Velcro seperating. I've tried plain Velcro, hot glue, and 5 min epoxy to stick it on, all with similar results. What's the trick to getting the Velcro to stay on the foam?
Bugman... Here's how I do it. Very crash resistant I hot glue the slick side to the foam as mentioned then put a strip of strapping tape over the velcro and hot glue it to the foam to make a hot glue sandwich. If it's a profile, I put a thin foam box around the battery to help keep it in the right place. Hope this helps... Bob
Jan 01, 2008, 08:01 PM
You can also epoxy or foam-safe-CA glue a larger piece of 1/64" ply to the foam and then mount the velcro to it....
Jan 01, 2008, 09:24 PM
hot glue popsicle stick to the foam then hot glue velcro to the stick, works fine so far.
Jan 02, 2008, 10:56 AM
RIP - Caster Of Pods
You guys have offered up some great ideas! I'll have to try some of these on MY next build.

I have had pretty good luck with hot gluing the velcro to the plane (both blue foam and EPP), but I use an old busted prop to aid with removing the battery from the velcro. Just wedge in the good blade between the battery and the velcro seat and work it back and forth slowly while pulling at the battery. God knows, in this hobby broken props are abundant!
Jan 02, 2008, 01:14 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien
You can also epoxy or foam-safe-CA glue a larger piece of 1/64" ply to the foam and then mount the velcro to it....
Or balsa......

I've never had that problem - are you gluing at least a square inch? Are you mounting the velcro such that the pull on it will be along it's length?
Jan 02, 2008, 01:37 PM
Ajutor de băgător de seamă
I'm using this method (sorry for the bad picture, the plane is at home).

I'm using a thin ply piece in which I cut 4 slots for the velcro strip.

Absolutely gorilla-proof!

Serban
Jan 02, 2008, 02:31 PM
I have used Shoo Goo and / or Goop to adhere the Velcro to the foam. And, of course, if you can afford the weight, the venerable low to mid temp glue gun works well too.
Jan 02, 2008, 05:38 PM
VBARRRR
i use medium foam-safe CA and kicker

mine never comes off
Jan 02, 2008, 07:51 PM
use aluminum tape use a 2inch square piese then the velcro spreads out the presure over a larger area great for servos also
Jan 02, 2008, 09:22 PM
I arrange my battery position so that I can slide a credit card or a tounge depressor in between the loops and hooks of the velcro . This lets the velcro release without pulling.
Jan 02, 2008, 10:15 PM
Victoria Super Mortem

Ooooh...

I like the credit card thing..
Wish I had thougt of that before I pulled the skin off the inside of my bluecore hotz... i re-glued the velcro back into that thing with every adhesive known to man. Finally had to put a smaller amount of velcro on the battery so I could lift, twist, then pull the battery in a good direction.. but a credit card or an old gift card or something would be a great idea.

Bo
Jan 03, 2008, 03:55 PM
Trying to build & to fly
on Depron I have some more success by scraping the surface with cutter, in order to make it rough (I trace horizontal and vertical lines with the back side of the cutter). Then UHU Creativ, more than hot melt.

Quick Reply