Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 01, 2008, 04:15 PM
MicroPilot
Help!

I cant figure out why my MM is doing this! Help

Well, it has been a while since I posted here, but just yesterday I went and got my 1st micro heli - The mosquito. So far so good with it for the 1st several flights. Today however, I cant seem to get it to stay on a set heading. I have fully trimmed and given full left rudder, and I cant seem to make the thing stop spinning clockwise. I have given it a full charge, disassembled and lubricated the shaft/gears/rotors. No string or debris wrapped around anything.

I have most definitely had several spills with this thing, no major damage, the only visible wear so far is that a couple of the blades have been chipped due to the 2 rotors mashing each other upon a rough landing, but that didnt seem to effect the flight the day before today.

I have tried, dabbing some CA on the chipped areas of the blades to strengthen it. I have trimmed it.. I have tried flexing the blades to add some curvature to them(as stated in the manual as a solution to a MM spinning clockwise) I simply cant fly in a straight line. What can I do to remedy this, or what things can I try to get you guys more information on whats really going on. Thanks to any and all of your help fellas. -J
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2008, 04:28 PM
I know this may not be the greatist help but you may do well to buy a replacement set of blades, that way if it doesn't work still you have a spare set for when you do ruin the ones that are on there and if it does work then........................happy days.

Joe
Jan 01, 2008, 05:21 PM
MicroPilot
Yeah, thats going to be something I will have to do eventually anyway. The problem there is, I cant find a set shipped for under 30 bucks. If it is a blade problem, I would like to know why it IS the blades as opposed to something else. Like, what about the blade is making it do this? There is literally 99.9% surface area left on every blade, the chips are very small. anyhow, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it
Jan 01, 2008, 05:37 PM
I have one of these and on each set of blades you have two copper tube type things that hold one part of each of the four blades the others are free to move slightly try and make sure that all the blades are parallel.

Joe
Jan 02, 2008, 02:34 AM
MicroPilot
Everything seems to be balanced pretty good. *shrug*
Jan 02, 2008, 04:24 AM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Just a couple of things I thought of.
First, the spare set of blades for the MM are on sale at Radio Shack for $5.99. Finding a set is a good deal right now. I picked some up for myself and my Father in Law last week.

The other thing is....when you lubed your heli, is there any chance you could have got some of the lube into the motors?
I have had past experience where I got some lube into these small motors and it literally caused havoc with them. The lube caused the motors to run horrible. I mean ANY lube into them. I had to remove the motors, dunk them into alcohol, and run them in short spurts to clean them out. The motors always ran good again after their "bath". I have learned to keep any oils away from the motor shafts!

With the power off, do both rotors spin freely after flipping them with your finger?

Are both large spur gears lining up with the pinion gears on the motors?

Any chance, somehow, that the large spur gears on the shaft got pushed together too tightly, causing friction to slow one of the gears down? Yes, this can happen. The lower large spur gear is only on the shaft by a friction fit. You can actually move it up and down the shaft with some effort. This is only done on purpose after removing the rotor assembly from the body first.

That's all I can think of for now. Keep checking things, hopefully something will turn up.
Ken
Jan 03, 2008, 06:35 PM
MicroPilot
Ah, thank you CSI! Yea, I definitely got some lube on the motors. I actually thought that would help(lubing the motors). I only thought this simply from my RC car experience. I am super glad you mentioned that, as well as a solution for fixing it. THe one question I have for you CSI is this. How the heck did you get the motors out? I unscrewed them, unscrewed the cover, and when I tried to split it, it seemed that the circuit board is attached to the top half, whiles wires run back and forth. I had to give up because I didn't want to pull any wires apart. And actually, one more question reguarding the bath...Do you run the motors when they are submerged? Or do you dunk them take them out then run them in spurts? Thanks a lot man!
Jan 03, 2008, 06:44 PM
Suspended Account
this guy took the words out of my mouth
dont even put lube on the gears... radio shack has blades in stock... and when you chip a blade you can use scotch tape to repair them...
you can clean the motors with motor spray or non-flamable brake cleaner, read the can to make sure it doesnt harm plastic!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Just a couple of things I thought of.
First, the spare set of blades for the MM are on sale at Radio Shack for $5.99. Finding a set is a good deal right now. I picked some up for myself and my Father in Law last week.

The other thing is....when you lubed your heli, is there any chance you could have got some of the lube into the motors?
I have had past experience where I got some lube into these small motors and it literally caused havoc with them. The lube caused the motors to run horrible. I mean ANY lube into them. I had to remove the motors, dunk them into alcohol, and run them in short spurts to clean them out. The motors always ran good again after their "bath". I have learned to keep any oils away from the motor shafts!

With the power off, do both rotors spin freely after flipping them with your finger?

Are both large spur gears lining up with the pinion gears on the motors?

Any chance, somehow, that the large spur gears on the shaft got pushed together too tightly, causing friction to slow one of the gears down? Yes, this can happen. The lower large spur gear is only on the shaft by a friction fit. You can actually move it up and down the shaft with some effort. This is only done on purpose after removing the rotor assembly from the body first.

That's all I can think of for now. Keep checking things, hopefully something will turn up.
Ken
Jan 03, 2008, 07:05 PM
MicroPilot
Well, just my luck, I go take a look at replacement blades online...Out of stock. Called my nearest store...Out of stock. Damn, I would have probably bought 2 sets. So, if I get some motor spray, will I have to remove the motors to clean them out, or can I just spray away while they are still attached?
Jan 03, 2008, 07:11 PM
Suspended Account
you should take them out so you dont get and crud on the electronics or harm them.
Jan 04, 2008, 02:29 AM
CSI
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
I haven't removed the MM motors for quite some time now, so I don't remember the whole deal, but I do know the motor wires are pretty long.
I'm afraid you are going to have to remove your motors to try and fix them.
You can remove the bottom rubber caps, remove the upper screws, and hopefully slide the motors out. Maybe someone who has removed them lately can offer some better instructions.
I have had good success cleaning out these small motors using regular rubbing alcohol. I just submerge them in a cup of alcohol, then rev the motors up a few times...about 5 second bursts. I take them out, then run them for 30 seconds, shake, run again, etc...trying to get the alcohol all out.
This has worked and made almost dead motors come back like new. Other folks here have done the same and it worked for them too. Other's have reported it didn't help. One guy claimed it "killed" his motor?
I think you have little choice as the lube has probably caused the problem. Those little brushes in there don't like being oiled down.
Just go slow and hopefully you can get the motors to slide out. IF I remember correctly, they are a tight fit in the body.
I hope you get it fixed back up and this solves you problem....keep us up to date.
Ken
.....also, I imagine using an electrical spray cleaner would work, but haven't tried it. Auto Zone sells a nice large can of electrical spray cleaner pretty cheap.
Jan 04, 2008, 03:40 AM
I also have the Micro Mosquito with the exact same problem. Yes i lubed the gears as well :-(

CSI thankyou for your advise, looks like i have alot to learn, but i am having alot of fun :-)
Jan 04, 2008, 09:32 AM
Suspended Account
electrical cleaner is not what you want to use, non-flamable brake cleaner as it is designed to remove dirt and grease/oil.
elec. cleaner is used to basically clean copper.
Jan 04, 2008, 03:25 PM
MicroPilot
Alrighty. Well so far, I still have yet to clean the motors. I have spent the past day with ca and scotch tape doing a number on the blades... They seem to be back in balance with all the surface area recovered. I would also like to note, that the slight lubrication I used was WD-40. I am not sure what difference it makes as it too still has petroleum based lube in it, but I figured I would mention it to see if there was a difference.

I am curious about that alcohol though. What % is it that you are using? and doesn't the electrical arc from the brushes spark when submerged in the alcohol and ignite it?

My thinking might be way off..
Cable Guy, Ty for that piece. I'm glad I hadn't gone and gotten the electrical spray. Do you think there is a huge price difference b/t brake cleaner and electrical cleaner?
Jan 04, 2008, 04:57 PM
Suspended Account
the brake cleaner is probably cheaper, i want to guess 4 bucks or so. thing is, alcohol submersion might be the way to go as the motors are tiny and getting spray into them might be tough. you could probably fill a container with the spray too. we used to use it on 540 size racing motors in offroad buggys.

Quick Reply