Jan 01, 2008, 10:01 AM
War Eagle!
Thread OP
Help!

New Year's resolution: Build a plane storage rack. Please share pics!

Hey folks,

First of all... happy new year!

Second... I've been meaning to come up with a way to store my ever-growing collection of planes. They're all parkflyers, ranging in wingspan from 20 to 40 inches or so.

So, I've seen plenty of PVC-pipe racks, and some wooden ones. They all seem like great concepts.

I know this has been done before, but how about sharing some pictures and how you went about putting it together and whatnot? I think it would be a cool "group build" thread!

Thanks in advance!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2008, 10:08 AM
Wind blows
Excellent idea!
Jan 01, 2008, 10:58 AM
Balsa to the Wall
I got 2 screw-in bicycle hangars and an 8 foot length of wooden closet rod. Put the hangars in the ceiling of the garage about 6' apart and about a foot from the side wall. I use bungee cords to hang them from the rod by the prop or the tail. I can still get my car in beside them. I also made a PVC pipe rack 6' tall, but the PVC bends and it leans, plus it takes up too much room.

Chuck
Jan 01, 2008, 11:17 AM
one game away...
The common PVC rack with foam pipe insulation pads where the wings rest. First one is 6 bay, the other two are 3 bay. Less than $20 worth of materials at Lowes.

I've had a 44 oz. Cub on both and didn't have any problems.

Matt
Jan 01, 2008, 11:43 AM
Wind blows
You know how they hang guitars at shops?

I'd like to come up with something similar where the wheels simply hang from hooks. I don't have much lateral space to take up.
Jan 01, 2008, 12:29 PM
Here's mine that I built this last year...
Jan 01, 2008, 12:54 PM
Off roading with the Fun Cub!
Yep, PVC works great, or you can use metal brackets for shelves as well.
Jan 01, 2008, 02:42 PM
100mph club member
Another PVC rack. Very versatile and cheap.
Jan 01, 2008, 03:31 PM
Zen Flying Master
PVC racks are great, but like Chuck, I noticed that they tend to lean and/or fall over. If you notice (And I can't tell for every single one) but almost all the PVC racks shown are a hanging rack and not freestanding. As long as the PVC rack is mounted to the wall, you'll be fine. And like everyone has said, they're nice and cheap, and easy to assemble.

However, the benefit to not making them permanently assembled (In other words, don't glue everything together) is that you can make different sized bays for different planes. After all, a Zagi bay needs only be 4-6 inches tall or so. For my PVC rack (About 6 1/2 feet tall) I have anywhere from 6-10 bays, depending on which planes I'm storing on it at the time. Just don't forget to plan for the landing gear
Jan 01, 2008, 05:32 PM
War Eagle!
Thread OP
So everyone seems to be liking the PVC, eh? They look good -- thanks for sharing the pics!

What size of PVC do y'all use?

In my case, I fly small planes (nothing heavier that 16-20 pounds, usually), so weight is not an issue per se...

Thanks everyone!
Jan 01, 2008, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
So everyone seems to be liking the PVC, eh? They look good -- thanks for sharing the pics!

What size of PVC do y'all use?

In my case, I fly small planes (nothing heavier that 16-20 pounds, usually), so weight is not an issue per se...

Thanks everyone!
Hi Spackles,

I use 3/4" for mine. Plus mine is only 9 inches wide. This way, the supports are close to the fuselage instead of out too far on the wing. This will prevent the wing from sagging under the force of gravity over time.

Chuck
Jan 01, 2008, 06:22 PM
Fly me to the moon...
My wing rack. I have a portable PVC one that I put in the truck.
Jan 01, 2008, 06:50 PM
War Eagle!
Thread OP
Do y'all just screw them straight into the studs then, or is there any other sort of handy way to attach them to the wall?
Jan 01, 2008, 07:08 PM
The hobby shops sell a neet wing rack. It is aluminum pegs that are threaded on the end and can slide up and down a "C" channel.
I'm getting really limited on storage with about 50 planes flyable and over 100 total.
This rack allows me to stack them tightly and readjust when needed.
The only problem is, if I take out 3 or 4 planes to fly, they need to go back in the same spots or they won't fit! Butch
Jan 01, 2008, 08:07 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Do y'all just screw them straight into the studs then, or is there any other sort of handy way to attach them to the wall?
I used hollow wall anchors.

Quick Reply