Jan 01, 2008, 04:42 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Which model is this?

Hi Guys,

I was able to get a Auto Gyro but without any documentation.
Does anyone of you know this model?

Please help.

Cheers,
Geissi
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry can't help you but nice model.
Jan 01, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Geissi, Happy New Year.Nice model you got. I think its the V-tail Umbaugh U-18. The new version A-18 by Air&Space Autogyro. Wonodikromo
Jan 01, 2008, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
All,
Please apologize!
First of all Happy New Year.

@wonodikromo
You are right - thanks. It is a Umbaugh V-Tail. I thougth this is a kind of "project name" as "Umbau(gh)" sounds very German.

Now I can try to find some documentation.

Thanks,
Geissi
Jan 28, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I think I found a version (not V tail) on youtube.

Autogyro beats Helicopter for small VTOL Missions dynmicpara (7 min 11 sec)

Enjoy,

Leo
Jan 28, 2008, 06:06 PM

About the Umbaugh U-18

Very nice looking model! I built one in 1958 while working for Umbaugh as a design engr. (never completed it) The V-tail was never built, but was the first thought, so you must have been on the inside when we started! The first was built and flown with the 1 vertical fin. The 3 fin arrangement came later to get better stability. The center fin has left and right incidence about half way up to offset the propwash effect. The first 5 were built by Fairchild Aircraft in Hagerstown, MD, USA. Eventually the production tooling and type certificate were acquired by Don Farrington of Paducah, KY where he continued to produce the plane. He died in a U-18 crash at Sun 'n Fun after suffering a heart attack while flying a demo. It did not have a good safety record. I have original pictures, the 3 view, and advertising brochures from the period. I flew in one of the first five completed. You-Tube video is very good! Good luck with the model and I'd be interested in how it performs.
Last edited by C124FltEngr; Feb 02, 2008 at 11:21 AM.
Jan 29, 2008, 08:00 PM
This one is in the Wildwood Naval Air Station Museum outsied of Cape May NJ. My loving wife said, "Leave it to YOU to find an autogyro while we are on VACATION!!!!" LOL!!!!

They had only had the gyro for a couple weeks before I took the photo. This was from two years ago.

Dave
Last edited by imsofaman; Feb 01, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Jul 06, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Geissi,

I found the building plans and instructions of your model on ebay.

They were released in Hobby 1968/11.

Quick Reply