Dec 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
Discussion

Did I just kill my Lipo?

The other night I was rebuilding my heli and had a full lipo plugged in to power the servos for testing. This process went on for a few hours trying to get the links just right. Anyway by the end of it all I tested the volts on the Kong 3c 2200 lipo and it read 7.8V which is above the manufacturers minimum but still very low. I charged the lipo back to around 8.5v with an old charger (12v @ 1a) then finished it off with a lipo charge. Now the battery only lasts about 30 seconds in the air and charging time is like 10 min. Something is very wrong here. Did I kill the lipo or is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks
Last edited by bug splat; Dec 31, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
Will fly for food
Kong Power should survive.

Is the charger actually doing the full charge routine? What charger?
Dec 31, 2007, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Kong Power should survive.

Is the charger actually doing the full charge routine? What charger?
Its telling me that the charge is complete and when I volt test it I get a 11.9v. The Lipo charger that I'm using is an E-Flite Celectra and the balance charger that I'm using is a no-name local brand that has 2cell and 3 cell ports. Charge rate before with this no-name was like 4 hours. Now it says its done in minutes. I pulled out my little Honeybee 2/3 cell charger that pumps out a mega 0.8 amps and it seems to be charging so far. That charger in the past took about 6-7 hours to charger. i'm going to let it go on the little balance charger and see if it bring some life back. Oh, and I have a Cellpro charger on order. What steps should I take to bring the battery back?
Dec 31, 2007, 07:15 PM
AMA 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug splat
The other night I was rebuilding my heli and had a full lipo plugged in to power the servos for testing. This process went on for a few hours trying to get the links just right. Anyway by the end of it all I tested the volts on the Kong 3c 2200 lipo and it read 7.8V which is above the manufacturers minimum but still very low. I charged the lipo back to around 8.5v with an old charger (12v @ 1a) then finished it off with a lipo charge. Now the battery only lasts about 30 seconds in the air and charging time is like 10 min. Something is very wrong here. Did I kill the lipo or is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks
If its a 3S lipo and you drained down to 7.8 vt I think it is junk now.

...Keith...
Dec 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug splat
Its telling me that the charge is complete and when I volt test it I get a 11.9v.
To state the obvious, the battery is not being charged. Should be at least 12.5 volts.
Quote:
What steps should I take to bring the battery back?
You have done all you can - got it back to where a LiPo charger will accept it.

Discharge to 2.6 volts per cell has no doubt damaged it. Reduced life, no doubt, but not junk.

Bill
Dec 31, 2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys. I just unplugged the lipo from the little charger and the volts read 12.58. Did some living room hovering for a good 5 min before it felt a little sluggish and the head speed dropped. I tested the volts again and got 10.4. Looks like I may have to go through a few rounds of slow balancing and draining to get back what little life I can. The lipo also puffed a little since I over drained it a few days ago.
Jan 02, 2008, 12:04 AM
Kong did survive!!! Took it out to the park today after the third slow balance charge and got 7 minutes in the air without any power drop I could notice even doing yo-yo's. Landed and tested the volt and I got a 10.7. I thought I was out $70 for a little bit there. Thanks for the help everyone.