How about these lights? - RC Groups
Dec 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
Dave
Question

How about these lights?

http://www.directron.com/caraccessories.html

Seems like a good deal to lay down under the wings of my Easy Glider or along the sides of the fuse.

They should work off of my 8-cell NiMh.

They are basically a bunch of SMD's molded into a strip of clear silicone rubber with one flat side for mounting to a surface.

I ordered a 24" Red and a 24" Green. Also got a 6 foot length of EL wire Aqua color to wrap the rear sides of the fuse lengthwise.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Dave
Last edited by CygnusX1; Dec 31, 2007 at 11:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2007, 11:12 AM
How do I change this text?
They look pretty bright. You may want to run lights along both the fuse and the wings to avoid losing orientation at certain low angles when you just have the wings lit. I wonder how much they weigh.
Dec 31, 2007, 11:19 AM
Dave
As far as I know, SMD lighting is extremely small and light for it's intensity. I will post the weights when I get them.

Here is a similar item:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5242
Jan 07, 2008, 06:21 PM
Dave
The strip lights weight 0.9 oz each with about 16" of heavy wire tails which can be replaced with lighter gauge. They are VERY bright!!!
Jan 07, 2008, 08:07 PM
Gee, you folks don't know how lucky you are with all of the goodys available today compared to what we did years ago. Everything has come so far so fast!!
Jan 07, 2008, 09:14 PM
Dave
Not only are they bright, they have a D shaped cross section with 3M adhesive on the flat side. They would make EXCELLENT leading edges for wings. The strips are roughly 1/4" wide. I test powered them with an 8cell NiMh. You could probably get their weights down to 1/2 oz. each
Jan 08, 2008, 12:04 AM
How do I change this text?
These look like a great option. I'd love to see a flight video. Any plans to shoot some video of your night time maiden?
Jan 08, 2008, 09:23 AM
Dave
I first need the lake to freeze over so that I have flying field. Then I need to find someone willing to come out on the ice at night with me to run the video camera. I might be able to use a tripod and use a long exposure on my still camera or setup the video camera similarly. The lake was almost frozen over but now it's approaching 50 degrees so everything is melting again.

The strip lights are so bright that my wife could not look directly at them in the living room with the lights on!

Tonight I am going to try to integrate them cleanly into my EGE. I want to put in a connector harness in between the battery and ESC so I can tap into it to plug in the lighting.
Jan 08, 2008, 10:15 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Do these require and inverter box, or can you just tap into a battery directly?

Diggs
Jan 08, 2008, 12:00 PM
Dave
Directly connected to my 8 cell NiMh. No inverter.
Jan 08, 2008, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX1
Directly connected to my 8 cell NiMh. No inverter.
That is nice... Helps keep them lite. I will probably snag a few. Thanks a lot for the heads up on these. They look very promising.

Diggs
Jan 09, 2008, 08:12 PM
Dave
Well, I thought about where to mount the light strips for the wings. I wanted lights on the top and bottom of the wing. I decided to fold the strips in half and poke a hole in the wing to pass the strip through. This way half of the strip is on top then it passes through the wing and folded over across the bottom. I also cut a trench in the Elapor Foam of the EGE so that the strips would sit fairly flush to the wing surfaces. Here is the right wing (green). I put a slit in the bottom of the wing and tucked the wires into it. The wires come out of the wing where the servo wires come out. The wire leads are covered with a very heavy rubber jacket because they are automotive grade. I stripped the jacket off the wires to reveal telephone gauge wire. Very light.

I need to run some lighting to the tail also. I am thinking either glow-wire or a couple of LED's in the fuse tail.
Last edited by CygnusX1; Jan 09, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Jan 11, 2008, 04:44 PM
Dave
Here is a video with the wing lights on. No maiden yet but getting close. I need to put something on the tail.
Jan 11, 2008, 05:26 PM
Cyg,

Where did you get your lights from? I see you posted 2 links above, curious which ones you have. Also, did you just connect both sets into the same pack in Parallel? It looks very good. I might do my LE of my SSX with these prior to covering.

Thanks for the info!!

Diggs
Jan 11, 2008, 07:53 PM
Dave
Diggs, the lights in the video are from the very first link up top. Both strips are connected, in parallel, to one 8cell NiMh that powers the motor and servos. It's A LOT of light for 1.2oz.

I think the leading edge idea might work. You would need to carefully match the radius if the wing to the light strips but I think the effect would be amazing.
Last edited by CygnusX1; Jan 12, 2008 at 11:00 AM.