Cessna 310 Minium Conversion Thread - RC Groups
Dec 30, 2007, 06:36 PM
Rather be Hover'n
Build Log

Cessna 310 Minium Conversion Thread

Hello everyone.

After my 210 met face to face with the large rotating prop of a P-38 mid flight there wasn't much left of the poor Cessna. After buying another one, and of course the appropriate greaving period, I decided to rebuild her. This is my attempt to make her better, stronger, faster..... (Shades of an old TV program echo'n in my ears)

Anyway, for what it's worth, here we go....

She will hopefully come out looking similar to this:

The first thing to do was to repair the fuse and lower the wing.

I plan on including the stearable nose wheel mod with this rebuild.
The air intake was cut to allow cooling air for the brick since the original motor area intake is now gone.
Two sets of motor leads have been soldered to the brick and now pass thru small straws imbeaded in the fuse under the wing on each side.

I tried to keep the wing at the same angle that is was when it was on top of the aircraft.
The left over prop spinner was cut down and placed up front for some protection from what ever I bump into.. walls, ceilings, etc.....

Another point of view:

Next up... the 2 motor nacells.....

to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2007, 08:37 PM
Geaux Saints
Very interesting. Looks good so far. I'll be watching.
Mike
Dec 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
Micro EDF addict
oh cool, I should be getting one of these soon too. Your idea looks cool! After I fly it for awhile I'll probably convert it to a warbird.
Dec 30, 2007, 11:01 PM
Nice job, and great idea!
What are you using for motors? 4mm? They look tiny compared to the props you have on them.

Fritz
Dec 31, 2007, 06:26 AM
Rather be Hover'n
The motors are stock Gear Box w/Motor: Cessna 210 Centurion from Horizon Hobbies. I believe they are 6mm pager motors.

The props are also stock 210 parts, but have been cut down slightly in diameter so that the nacells can be in a more scale location and also to help lower the combined current from using 2 motors.

Trying to avoid any magic smoke from the output fet on the brick.
Dec 31, 2007, 06:38 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Where did the images go ?

Pat Mackenzie
Dec 31, 2007, 06:46 AM
Rather be Hover'n
Hi Pat, they're working fine for me. Anyone else not seeing them?
Dec 31, 2007, 07:15 AM
one game away...
The firewall where I work blocks all images so I'm not seeing any....no fault of yours though!

Matt
Dec 31, 2007, 07:21 AM
Rather be Hover'n
Should I just attach them to the post like this?
Dec 31, 2007, 08:32 AM
one game away...
Looks nice...I like it.

Matt
Dec 31, 2007, 10:53 AM
Dert Farmur
Ahhh, now I see pictures.

Looking good. Very good. If the electronics are able to keep all the smoke in I can definitely see one of these in my future.
Dec 31, 2007, 05:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeardrc
Hello everyone.

After my 210 met face to face with the large rotating prop of a P-38 mid flight there wasn't much left of the poor Cessna. After buying another one, and of course the appropriate greaving period, I decided to rebuild her. This is my attempt to make her better, stronger, faster..... (Shades of an old TV program echo'n in my ears)

Anyway, for what it's worth, here we go....

She will hopefully come out looking similar to this:

The first thing to do was to repair the fuse and lower the wing.

I plan on including the stearable nose wheel mod with this rebuild.
The air intake was cut to allow cooling air for the brick since the original motor area intake is now gone.
Two sets of motor leads have been soldered to the brick and now pass thru small straws imbeaded in the fuse under the wing on each side.

I tried to keep the wing at the same angle that is was when it was on top of the aircraft.
The left over prop spinner was cut down and placed up front for some protection from what ever I bump into.. walls, ceilings, etc.....

Another point of view:

Next up... the 2 motor nacells.....

I found the problem.

One of the slashes in the URL for all the images was backwards. They all need to be forward slashes. I changed them in the quote above.

Having said that, uploading the images means that your pictures will always stay with the thread.
Lots of times with old threads images disappear because they get deleted or moved and the URL is no longer valid.

Looks very nice. You might need a bit more dihedral since it is a low wing.

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 31, 2007, 06:16 PM
F3A Team Finland
Looks very cool so far. If someone can take a macro picture showing the output FET on the brick PCB, I can try to find out how much current it tolerates.

Another idea: Instead of using the geared original motors, direct drive such as AA PowerHawk would probably work just fine and generate enough thrust.
Jan 01, 2008, 04:20 AM
Rather be Hover'n
Happy New Year!

Thanks for all your kind comments and sage advice.

Making progress with the nacells. I just new this was going to be the fun part.
Jan 01, 2008, 08:06 AM
Rather be Hover'n
Finnspeed,

The output FET is an AE6B, visually verified, with a max output of approximately 1 amp based on a cached google copy of the following page: 75.117.251.147:9997/mm_stats.html. Hopefully you'll be able to verify this.

If what's been reported here in other threads as to a typical max draw of around .3A, then with the cut down props and some luck, I should stay smoke fee.

FYI, Here are the contents of the above mentioned cached page:

Minium Stats:

Base Components:
-Fuselage: Depron
-Wingspan: 15 in (380mm)
-AUW: 0.6 oz (18 g)
-Freq: 3-channel 2.4GHz
-Antenna Length: 91mm
-Fully proportional, super lightweight servo motors with feedback potentiometers allows precise control
-Battery: 3.7V 70mAh Li-Po battery
-Prop: 95mm diam
-Gear Reduction: Gear Ratio: 5.28:1 34t spur, 8t pinion (4.25:1 visual)
-Motor: M6 type
-thrust: Info not yet available
-4.2 ohm 6x15mm coreless
-Power deliverd by AE6B Transistor/FET max output approx 1 amp

Stock weight:
-18g

Component Weight Breakdown:
-Motor/gear/prop: 2.76g
-Receiver/servo brick: 3.35g