Dec 29, 2007, 06:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

First FPV video with the new Easy Star FPV ship

I did this today with my new Easy Star FPV ship. It actually had enough power to ROS (rise off snow) haha.
Rise off snow fpv (3 min 9 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2007, 07:05 PM
hmmm interesting for such a high quality gear, and clean airspace, why does the video have so much interruption? I think you might need to select a different channel or try to aim the patch antenna in the direction of the plane.

it would probably be best to make several short flights with different channels until one has the least interference.

if that still doesn't work, maybe you will need a spotter to aim the antenna at the plane while it's flying.
Dec 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
That was actually done with a 9db omni directional rubber duck antenna. It was also near an electric fence so I'm thinking that was more the issue than anything else.
Dec 29, 2007, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959
That was actually done with a 9db omni directional rubber duck antenna. It was also near an electric fence so I'm thinking that was more the issue than anything else.
Ahh okay!!! I"m not sure about the electric fence, but you need to get a patch 8dbi antenna! Omni antenna is good for the moving transmitter, but for a fixed ground station you need something that has a higher gain.
Dec 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Actually that omni antenna works pretty well. Here's a video with the same receiver but with a 200mw blackwidow transmitter.
FPV Test Flight (3 min 54 sec)
Dec 29, 2007, 07:26 PM
hmmm not bad, but the range usually is quite limited by omni antennas, but if you are a parkflyer it's okay.

I usually like to go at least 2km out from where I am.
Dec 29, 2007, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I usually fly alone so I don't have a lot of options as far as having someone to help point a patch antenna. I've got a patch antenna that I made from mr rc cam's website but no one to keep it pointed at the plane.........
Dec 29, 2007, 07:38 PM
getting a spotter to aim the antenna is a last resort, but usually if you use a tripod or any makeshift stand, you can adjust the patch antenna in the general area where the plane will be flying. That is suitable enough, unless you want to go extremely far and push the range to the limits.

ofcourse you can always opt for two recievers, each with a patch antenna running with parallel with an oracle diversity module from www.rangevideo.com with eatch patch antenna pointing in the general area that the plane will be flying, that will lessen the chances of a video transmission fall out since the diversity is switch between the two recievers to maintain optimun video signal.
Dec 29, 2007, 07:59 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I'm also wondering about my rubber duck high gain antenna. It's has a reverse polarity SMA connector on it and I'm wondering if the BW receiver is supposed to have a different sma connector. But it does seem to work pretty well on the 200 mw BW tx as compared to the 1000mw rangevideo Tx.
It's probably more hassle to try to change the antenna than it's worth anyway.
Dec 30, 2007, 04:14 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Erm...
Video receivers have standard polarity SMA. If your antenna has a reverse polarity, you have... no electrical contact between your antenna and receiver. SMA has the pin on antenna side, hole on RX side. RP-SMA has the threads the same way, but the pin is on the RX side and the hole on the antenna side. So, if you mix them like it seems you've done, you've got 2 holes facing each other and no pin connecting them.
Also, high gain omnis are usually bad choices for our application. When holding it vertical OK it will be sensitive on 360° horizontally, but only a few degrees vertically, which means that as soon as you fly higher than a few dozen meters you're out of the beam. Beam of which half is lost as it's pointing to the ground. Those antennas are good for applications where both sides are at the same "altitude" (any typical network setup on a single floor).
Dec 30, 2007, 06:13 AM
Live FPV or Die
so that explain me why I got poor result with my 9Dbi omni antenna.
It have rP-SMA. I added a pin between the two sma to make the connection. The result was very deceiving, a lot of dropout, my standard 3Dbi antenna work a lot better. I though it was due to my pin, I though it had open the contact because it was too big, and dammage the connector, it's perhaps the case, but the beam is too narrow on the side could explain well the poor result I've got.
Dec 30, 2007, 06:26 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I put a pin between my sma connectors so I allready knew about that issue. Maybe if I tilt the receiver back on my tripod so it's not so vertical. That could explain why the video with the 200mw BW tx was better because I had that same receiver and antenna on top of a helmet so that I was looking up at the plane. I didn't wear goggles on either flight though as I'm still feeling the system out before I make the commitment of going fully FPV. I'll do some comparison testing between the omni and the stock antenna and my gp patch on a tripod to get an idea of which one to use or just bug someone to be my spotter, hahaha. The dropouts still weren't so bad I couldn't fly the plane and I think I'll wait till the snow melts so the brightness doesn't overload the camera.
Dec 30, 2007, 03:00 PM
FPV Crash Dummy
Get a patch antenna! You don't need to aim it all that much. I lay my antenna right on the ground facing directly up. You will have a good signal for quite some distance, unless you are flying low and far away.
Dec 30, 2007, 03:20 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I made a "goof proof patch" from Mr Rc Cam's website quite sometime ago. I'm charging batteries right now to go do some comparison testing. I'll post the video later on. I'll set it at a 45 degree angle upward.
Dec 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I tried my GP patch antenna today and the difference was totally astounding No dropouts but I'm going to wait for the snow to melt before I attempt an FPV flight because it really overloads my poor camera I did want to test the patch and a new set of removable gear I made though so I recorded the flight on my PVR H140 and I'll post that later on. I'll post the link when I get all the stuff editted and posted The gear simply attach with two nylon bolts and add minimal weight so now I'm good to go.

Quick Reply