Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
baykah is offline
Find More Posts by baykah
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory
The cost difference is $30US. The $239.95 price was to move them out to make way for the new version. So if the DUO-II never happened you would be paying $269.95 for the Duo. Do you don't think $30 is worth the new LCD display and the discharge capability? Not much more to get the functionality.
In europe, the V1 was 200 and the new one is 280, right now 80=100$ (at hyperion europe direct store)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:21 PM
hilgert is offline
Find More Posts by hilgert
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
hilgert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter
We can't have it both ways. We asked for changes that involved new hardware, he complied and brought them to market, no way will a manufacturer maintain 2 versions of pretty much the same thing. Granted the old one was cheaper but give his one a little time, it too will be more affordable after it's been out a while...

Jack
One of the nice things about the DUO was the amount of charger one got for the amount paid - a LOT of charger for a very reasonable price (which is "value"). Given that many folks don't need discharging (personally I would pay for it to have it, and liklely rarely use it, but I am a gadget freak), a higher-priced charger might not be as good of a value to many folks that would otherwise buy it.

-Hilgert
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
michael503 is offline
Find More Posts by michael503
Registered User
I realize this may have been answered already, but I have a buddy who is getting an 8S lipo for his Trex 600 and he has a Duo (as do I). Is it particularly difficult to split a pack into 2 4s chunks so it can be charged with the Duo? Its the soldering that I'm most concerned about. I can solder as well as the next guy, but I've never tried to solder to a lipo cell terminal.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
jfetter is online now
Find More Posts by jfetter
HAL... Open the damn doors!
jfetter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael503
I realize this may have been answered already, but I have a buddy who is getting an 8S lipo for his Trex 600 and he has a Duo (as do I). Is it particularly difficult to split a pack into 2 4s chunks so it can be charged with the Duo? Its the soldering that I'm most concerned about. I can solder as well as the next guy, but I've never tried to solder to a lipo cell terminal.
I wouldn't ever split a pack apart that costs nearly as much as the charger! Get another charger...

Jack
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:15 PM
kgfly is offline
Find More Posts by kgfly
Registered User
You CANNOT charge a single pack larger than 6S on a DUO no matter how you wire it. The two outputs have a common ground so you will short out half the pack!

Either get a pair of 4S packs to fly in series as 8S but charge individually as 4S or get a charger capable of handling an 8S pack (TP1010C+210V, Bantam 8CDX, iCharger 1010B+)
Old Nov 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
TheBum is online now
Find More Posts by TheBum
Registered User
TheBum's Avatar
True. If you completely electrically isolate the two halves, you can rewire them, but then you'd essentially end up with two 4S packs in the same wrapper.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:04 AM
1airborne is offline
Find More Posts by 1airborne
p-38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1airborne
Any word on the new EOS0720i NET. When is the release date.

Thanks

1airborne
Bump
Old Nov 19, 2008, 06:20 AM
coro is offline
Find More Posts by coro
Registered User
8s Lipo means 33.6V top voltage, to charge at 10Amps, You need 336W output power of a charger.
Which one is capable, and how high is the cost?
A pair of high quality connectors with thick enough and short wires, splitting the inter-cell connection path of the 8s pack in the middle (to 4s+4s), is much easier way.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 08:05 AM
TheBum is online now
Find More Posts by TheBum
Registered User
TheBum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
8s Lipo means 33.6V top voltage, to charge at 10Amps, You need 336W output power of a charger.
Which one is capable, and how high is the cost?
The Hyperion is rated at 180W per side = 360W total, so it should do the job.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 08:41 AM
michael503 is offline
Find More Posts by michael503
Registered User
I agree, 2 4s packs makes sense, the problem is Scott (my buddy) has his eye on an outrage 8s 4200 and they only make the 4s up to 3700. I passed this along and he's mulling it over. He may go 10S to get the flight time.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:11 PM
hilgert is offline
Find More Posts by hilgert
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
hilgert's Avatar
Anyone know if the DUO II firmware is the same as the DUO I? I just got a new DUO II and the firmware is 1.0.

-Hilgert
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
Fig Jam is offline
Find More Posts by Fig Jam
I am UNIQUE!
Fig Jam's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
Anyone know if the DUO II firmware is the same as the DUO I? I just got a new DUO II and the firmware is 1.0.

-Hilgert
I very much doubt it's the same and if it were it would make no sense to ship out the DUO II's with outdated Firmware would it?

Mike
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:52 PM
hilgert is offline
Find More Posts by hilgert
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
hilgert's Avatar
Agreed...just curious if anyone knew. I have already pinged NipponDave to ask him.

Thanks,

-Hilgert
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:16 PM
hilgert is offline
Find More Posts by hilgert
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
hilgert's Avatar
Well, the new DUO II is living up to my expectations. While I essentially just discharge my batteries the fun way (flying them down), it is impossible to get them to "the" best storage voltage. I have just run through my stable of batteries using the DUO II storage function, and it's pretty cool. If the battery is below ideal storage voltage (about 60% of max voltage) the charger brings it up to 60%; if it's above ideal storage voltage the charger discharges down. The user does not have to figure it out either way - just plug in the battery, hit storage mode, and let it go!!!

I ran through a couple of cycle of full charge, then storage, then charge, then storage, then discharge (down to 3V/cell), then storage, etc. - the DUO II handled it very quickly and the indicated cell voltages were within 0.01V of my multimeter (basically dead on - could not tell you which one is correct).

So, I am a HAPPY CAMPER with the new DUO II.

By the way, the latest firmware is 1.0 for the DOU II (so don't "update" the firmware with the DUO firmware or you might brick your charger).

-Hilgert
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:30 PM
Fig Jam is offline
Find More Posts by Fig Jam
I am UNIQUE!
Fig Jam's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
Well, the new DUO II is living up to my expectations. While I essentially just discharge my batteries the fun way (flying them down), it is impossible to get them to "the" best storage voltage. I have just run through my stable of batteries using the DUO II storage function, and it's pretty cool. If the battery is below ideal storage voltage (about 60% of max voltage) the charger brings it up to 60%; if it's above ideal storage voltage the charger discharges down. The user does not have to figure it out either way - just plug in the battery, hit storage mode, and let it go!!!

I ran through a couple of cycle of full charge, then storage, then charge, then storage, then discharge (down to 3V/cell), then storage, etc. - the DUO II handled it very quickly and the indicated cell voltages were within 0.01V of my multimeter (basically dead on - could not tell you which one is correct).

So, I am a HAPPY CAMPER with the new DUO II.

By the way, the latest firmware is 1.0 for the DOU II (so don't "update" the firmware with the DUO firmware or you might brick your charger).

-Hilgert
Looks like another winner from Hyperion, glad you like your new charger, I'm going to wait on the 720 before I decide on my next charger. Decisions, decisions...

Mike


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyperion EOS 5i charger any good? czechyour6 Batteries and Chargers 19 Mar 22, 2006 07:15 PM
Sold HYPERION EOS 5i CHARGER papamac Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 0 Mar 05, 2006 10:54 PM
Got my Hyperion EOS 7i charger today. Like it a lot! Lynxman Batteries and Chargers 19 Jan 30, 2006 10:04 AM
Question Question about Hyperion EOS 7i charger Lou Batteries and Chargers 4 Jan 29, 2006 09:03 PM
Graupner Ultra duo charger fs Ben McCoy Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Aug 21, 2004 05:10 PM