Dec 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
Discussion

Sopwith Pup prototype for Mr. Rake

I have been plugging along on this bird for about a month now and pretty well have it framed up.This is the 2nd Peter Rake model that I have built. The first was a 36" eindecker for a friend of mine last Christmas. The Pup has always been my favorite ww1 bird and it just has the look of a good flying model. This one is just a little bit bigger than my other ww1 birds that I have assembeled and I am hoping its size will let it fly better in a breeze which we seem to have a lot of the time here in sunny Ca. So far I have built all the basic parts and everything has gone together very well. If you have never used laser cut parts before you are really missing out. They take all the work out of building. The best part is that EVERYTHING FITS! Here are a few pics up to this point.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2007, 07:46 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
I'm signed up and watching this one! Lookin good so far!

Tom
Dec 24, 2007, 03:32 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
I have got the bottom wings built so I just had to stick the pup together to see how it looks. I am using an E-Flight 450 outrunner and a 20 amp electrifly silver series speed control from Tower Hobbies. HS55 Hitec servos and Futaba 2.4 6 channel. So far everything has been standard Peter Rake style. Very easy to assemble and it all fits very nicely. I am a little nervous about butt gluing the bottom wings to the fuselage but I will make sure that it has stout flying wires.
Dec 24, 2007, 03:42 PM
Mayday!
Excellent!
What are the specs?

Tim
Dec 26, 2007, 11:29 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
The wingspan is 39.5 inches. acording to to Peter it is 1/8th scale. Rib spacing is scale and there are a whole bunch of subribs. All up weight should be about 30 ounces. For me that is good as I tend to build heavy. I have a 2000 mil pack that I am going to use and I hope that will keep nose weight to a minimum. This bird has a large presence and I am hot to fly her. Natural linnen finish is where I am leaning. I need Pat Trittle to explain to me how he did that weathering on his Jenny. It looks great.
Dec 27, 2007, 10:05 PM
Neophyte hacker
Nice looking frame.

The only thing to watch on the lower wing butt joint is that you have some kind of fuse cross brace at the TE. The wings will maintain their alignment with the struts firmly anchored from bottom to top wings.

Wasn't there a small amount of sheeting on the wings?

In case Tritle doesn't join in, his 'rib shadows' were airbrushed. The rest is 'common' plastic modeler techniques. Easy to say, harder to do. Pat is an artist.

charlie
Dec 28, 2007, 03:05 AM
Cross bracing between the bottom wing panels is taken care of by the rear u/c mount and 1/16 sheet between the fuselage sides. Only really an issue if you insist on landing on a lower wingtip.
Yes, there should be the usual lower wing root bay sheeting. Doesn't add much weight, but is pretty much essential for strengthening the wing to fuselage joint. It also prevents the root rib bowing as the covering shrinks.

Pete
Dec 28, 2007, 09:50 AM
Neophyte hacker
Pete,

"Only really an issue if you insist on landing on a lower wingtip" Yep, that's me

I forgot about the sheet between the fuse sides. I usually just covered the bottoms.

charlie
Dec 28, 2007, 07:40 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
My concern wasnt with banging a tip and crunching something, I was worried about it folding in flight but I have decided that that won't be an issue once everything is rigged. At that point it will become one piece and be plenty strong. I have a tendency to overbuild and pay for it in weight.
Dec 28, 2007, 09:47 PM
Neophyte hacker
Pete's planes are very strong, even without rigging. Build it as is and you'll be happy with it.

charlie
Dec 30, 2007, 11:35 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
We have several Peter Rake models flying here in Fresno and every one is a great in the air so I am not worried about this one. It will fly right off the board. I had to take a small break to put together a couple of Christmas presents that my friends got, an E- Flite Taylorcraft and a Goldberg Falcon56. Both arfs, so I will get to covering on the pup in a week or so. I took my Aeronca C-3 out to the field today to get some in flight shots and promptly banged it on takeoff. So no practice on in flight shots and a broken bird to fix. Oh well....
Feb 17, 2008, 11:53 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
I thought it was about time I got some more photos in here of the pup. She is all covered and I am starting to do the markings.
Mar 07, 2008, 09:33 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
Well I now have my pup all covered and all of the markings have been applied. I suffered a heart attack on Tuesday 3-4-08 and just got out of the hospltal today. The one artery that they could not fix and it was the one that got me. Monumental changes now have to occur in my life if I am to continue having one. Up side is once I am feeling better I should be able to get this bird done and in the air at last. I need to apologize to Peter Rake for taking so long on this build. Lifes little issues seem to keep getting in the way. She is a pretty thing and I am sure will be a great flyer!
Mar 08, 2008, 01:21 AM
She sure is a beauty, glad to hear you are up and at it again.

Steve
Mar 08, 2008, 09:10 AM
Not a problem mate. You just concentrate on getting as well as you can, good modellers are sufficiently thin on the ground that we can't afford to lose any of the ones we have. Your little Pup looks great and I can wait until you're able to continue - should you feel like it.

Pete

Quick Reply