Millennium RC Micro SSX and Micro SSX Biplane Kits Review

!Introduction

| spec2
| @ssx bipe 030.jpg
|> <b>Wingspan:</b> |< 21.5”
|> <b>Wing Area:</b> |< 240 sq”
|> <b>Weight minus battery:</b> |< 6oz
|> <b>Length:</b> |< 18”
|> <b>Wing loading:</b> |< Approximately 3.6 oz/sq. ft.
|> <b>Servos:</b> |< 4 – JR S185's
|> <b>Transmitter:</b> |< Spektrum DX7
|> <b>Receiver:</b> |< Spektrum AR6100
|> <b>Battery:</b> |< Thunder Power 480mA - 720 3s LiPoly
|> <b>Motor:</b> |< RC-Model 2100 Kv
|> <b>ESC:</b> |< Castle Creations Thunderbird 9
|> <b>Available From:</b> |< <a href=http://www.millenniumrc.com/MicroSSXBiplane.html>Millennium R/C</a>
|> <b>MSRP:</b> |< $54.95

| spec2
| @microssx 045.jpg
|> <b>Wingspan:</b> |< 21.5”
|> <b>Wing Area:</b> |< 120 sq”
|> <b>Weight minus battery:</b> |< 4oz
|> <b>Length:</b> |< 18”
|> <b>Wing loading:</b> |< Approximately 6.33 oz/sq. ft.
|> <b>Servos:</b> |< 3 – Blue Arrow 3.6g
|> <b>Transmitter:</b> |< Spektrum DX7
|> <b>Receiver:</b> |< Spektrum AR6100
|> <b>Battery:</b> |< Thunder Power 480mA - 720 2s LiPoly
|> <b>Motor:</b> |< Hacker A10-12S
|> <b>ESC:</b> |< Castle Creations Thunderbird 6
|> <b>Available From:</b> |< <a href=http://www.millenniumrc.com/Micro%20SSX.html>Millennium R/C</a>
|> <b>MSRP:</b> |< $44.95

I first met James Karpy of Millennium RC at FITS in January of last year. At that time he had recently started Millennium RC and was showing off his new SSX. By the time SEFF rolled around, he had added a smaller version of the SSX called the Micro SSX and began to offer ARFs as well as kits.
Then to my surprise, at the Zephr late last year he unveiled the prototype Micro SSX Biplane. The Zephyr was also the first time I got to see both the Micro SSX and Micro SSX Biplane fly in high winds, and I was amazed at how well these small, lightweight planes faired in far from ideal conditions.

One big advantage about living near to Millennium RC is that when the Biplane was ready, I had the opportunity to pay a visit to James and Moe of Millennium and see where these great little planes were created and developed.

@1 001.jpg: James and Moses of Millennium RC
@1 005.jpg: Making landing gear
@1 021.jpg: Ailerons
@1 022.jpg: Sure beats sandpaper!
@1 019.jpg: The wing jig keeps the wings nice and straight.

!Kit Contents

@ssx bipe kit.jpg: Micro SSX Biplane Kit
@dsc00710.jpg: Micro SSX Kit

*Biplane Kit includes:
* 1 decal set
* 4 balsa sticks 3/32x3/32x24
* 4 balsa sticks 1/16x3/32x24
* 2 sheets 1/8 balsa laser cut parts
* 2 sheets 1/16 balsa laser cut parts
* 1 sheet 1/32 balsa laser cut parts
* 3 sheets plywood laser cut parts
* 6 Dubro micro control horns
* 2 Dubro micro light wheels
* 2 Dubro wheel retainers
* 3 1-foot pieces of .031” piano wire for push rods, aileron linkage and tail skid
* Preformed wire landing gear
* 6 control horns
* 2 micro light wheels
* 2 micro wheel retainers
* 15” Wrapped carbon fuselage
* Carbon fiber struts
* Velcro pads
* Velcro “One Wrap” Battery strap (RED)
* Double-stick foam tape (Used to hold speed control in position)
* 8 # 0 - 1⁄4 sheet metal screws (Servos & wing adjustment)
* 2 # 1 – 1⁄4 sheet metal screws (Motor)

*Needed to Complete:
* Cyanoacrylate or CA Glue (thin and thick)
* Hobby knife
* 220-grit sandpaper
* Sanding block
* Hinge tape (recommend 3M Scotch ™ 3⁄4” Transparent Tape)
* Ruler
* Square
* Razor saw
* Hand drill or small drill with #56 (.046”) drill bit.
* 1/16” drill bit.
* Micro screwdriver set
* Micro-receiver
* Motor (recommend Hacker A10-12S brushless outrunner motor, 2900 Kv)
* Speed control (recommend 6 to 9 amps)
* Propeller (as recommended by motor manufacturer)
* Four servos (less than 7 grams each, recommended. Ideal is 4 grams)
* Battery (recommend 2-3 cell lithium polymer battery, 480-730 mAh)

*Micro SSX Kit includes:
* Laser-cut balsa parts
* 4 Dubro micro control horns
* 2 Dubro micro light wheels
* 2 Dubro wheel retainers
* Wire for push rods, aileron linkage and tail skid
* Preformed wire landing gear
* 15” Wrapped carbon fuselage
* Velcro pads
* Velcro “One Wrap” Battery strap (RED)
* Double-stick foam tape (Used to hold speed control in position)
* 6 # 0 - 1⁄4 sheet metal screws (Servos)
* 2 # 1 – 1⁄4 sheet metal screws (Motor)

*Needed to Complete:
* Cyanoacrylate or CA Glue (thin and thick)
* Hobby knife
* 220-grit sandpaper
* Sanding block
* Hinge tape (recommend 3M Scotch ™ 3⁄4” Transparent Tape)
* Ruler
* Square
* Razor saw
* Hand drill or small drill with #56 (.046”) drill bit.
* 1/16” drill bit.
* Micro screwdriver set
* Micro-receiver
* Motor (recommend Hacker A10-12S brushless outrunner motor, 2900 Kv)
* Speed control (recommend 5 to 6 amps)
* Propeller (as recommended by motor manufacturer)
* Three servos (less than 7 grams each, recommended. Ideal is 4 grams)
* Battery (recommend 2 cell lithium polymer battery, 300-480 mAh)

!Assembly

Both the Micro SSX and the Biplane are simple builds. They are laser cut, and the builder does not need to build a fuselage. Even a first time builder would have no trouble with one or both of these kits. Millennium RC has their <a href=https://www.rcgroups.com/millennium-rc-510/>own forum</a> in the Vendor area here on RCGroups, which includes threads with photos for both planes, taking the builder step by step through the build.

!!Wing

@ssx bipe 005.jpg: Here we go!
@ssx bipe 006.jpg: Ribs fit but not glued
@ssx bipe 010.jpg: Sticks before trimming. They make the wing quite strong and rigid
@10 400.jpg: Bipe Wings. The wing at the top of the picture is how the wingtips come now in the kits.

The wing or wing(s) for the Biplane are put together almost completely before gluing. The only exception is the ribs that support the struts as seen here.

@ssx bipe 003.jpg: Ribs that support the struts

Once all ribs and stringers are in, the amazingly strong wing(s) are glued.

!!Tail Section

The tail sections on the two planes are different. On the Bipe you build the tail with interlocking pieces, and with the Micro SSX the vertical and horizontal stab have a lot fewer pieces.

@ssx bipe 001.jpg: Bipe horizontal stab and elevator
@rudder.jpg: Bipe vertical stab and rudder
@tail.jpg: Micro SSX tail

One trick I used on some of the exposed pieces of wood is coloring them with a Sharpie. It did a great job in making them match the airplane.

@10 438.jpg: Parts colored with a red Sharpie

!!Covering

The Bipe is covered with Solite, and the Micro SSX is covered in Solarfilm. Both coverings are fairly easy to work with, but the Solite can be a little challenging as it really likes to stick to itself. The technique I used on both was the same, and I learned it from James from Millennium RC.

*Basic steps:
*Cut covering to the approximate size, and remove the plastic backing
*Lay covering sticky side down on glass, and squeegee all the air out with a credit card wrapped in a paper towel.
*Lay additional covering to be laminated onto the covering on the glass.
*Iron the covering to laminate the different pieces together.
*Then iron the laminated piece on the wing as you would regular covering.

I used this technique to add the white stripes to the top wing on the Micro SSX as well as the white patches on the top wing on the Bipe.

@microssx 008.jpg: Laminated on the glass
@microssx 009.jpg: Covering finished
@10 406.jpg: Bipe covered and ready for final assembly

!!Final Assembly

The final assembly for both kits includes hinging the control surfaces with tape, mounting the servos, putting together the landing gear and attaching everything to the fuse stick. On the Bipe, you have to attach the top wing using the carbon struts.

The manual gives good instructions on how to tape the hinges while ensuring you get maximum throw. This is done by putting tape along the rear trailing edge of the surface you are hinging. Turn the surface over so the sticky side of the tape is facing up, take the elevator, rudder or aileron with the beveled edge facing up and at a 45 degree angle place it up against the trailing edge of the surface you are hinging, and secure the tape. Turn it over, and fold the (elevator, rudder or aileron) back onto the surface and tape along the hinge line. You then can work the hinge and confirm that you are getting full throw.

The landing gear is sandwiched between the balsa blocks.
@landing gear.jpg: Landing gear assembly

It is important when sliding parts onto the fuse stick that you do them in the proper order and pay attention to when to glue parts together.

The final assembly to the fuse stick on the Micro SSX Biplane:

The servo tray and P12A are slid on the fuse stick first and then the tail mount, which is glued.
@final assembly.jpg: Servos tray, P12 and tail mount on fuse stick

The lower wing and tail is added next, then the landing gear. The landing gear should be 2-1/32" from the front of the fuse stick. The top wing is then added, and it is very important that the carbon wing struts are fully inserted in the wing before gluing. Then we add the battery tray and motor mount.

@10 446.jpg: Lower wing attached
@10 449.jpg: Struts attached
@10 473.jpg: Both wings attached

The Micro SSX Biplane has an adjustable incidence. When making adjustments to the rear wing mount you just have to remove two screws. What a great idea!

@ssx bipe 357.jpg: Adjustable Incidence

For final assembly of the SSX, slide the servo mounts on the fuselage stick. Next, attach the wing through the front wing saddle and then slide the rear saddle on the wing and glue. Attach the tail, landing skid, landing gear, battery tray and motor mount. Attach the motor and radio gear to allow for balancing 1/8" to the rear of the main spar. You can adjust the position of the hardware to get CG, and if an adjustment is still needed you can move the wing. Once balanced, adjust the horizontal stab so that it is parallel with the wing, and then glue the wing saddles.

!Flying

*Biplane:
*CG 1.2" back from the top wing spar.
*Rudder: Full Deflection
*Elevator: 20 degrees
*Ailerons: 20 degrees

*Micro SSX:
*CG 1/8" to the rear of the main spar
*Rudder: 45 degrees left and right
*Elevator: 45 degrees up and down 20 degrees on low rate
*Ailerons: 45 degrees up and down 20 degrees on low rate

The first time I flew the Micro SSX was in James’ backyard over a lake. Apart from being a little nervous about putting it in the lake I was impressed with how well this little lightweight plane handled the 10-12 mph wind. The first flight of the Biplane was at a school track, and the takeoff roll was about fifteen feet. It could have been shorter, but the plane looked so nice once the tail came up that I let it roll a little further before lift off. Either plane can be airborne in less than ten feet. As I made my first pass with the Bipe, I was already thinking how cool a little mock dogfighting would be with two of these in the air at once. My first flight was cut short due to rain, but it was a blast to fly and easy to land.

Flying weight and duration can vary a little depending on which size pack you decide to use. In the Biplane, a 3 cell 480 is a nice combination, and in the Micro SSX I like flying on a 2 cell 720. Both these packs weigh about the same. For props, I am using a GWS EP-7035 on the Biplane and a EP-6050 on the Micro SSX.

!! Take-Off and Landing

Both the Biplane and Micro SSX can be airborne in less than 10 feet and will take off from very short grass. Either can be hand launched as well. Either plane can land at a walking pace with the motor running or cut the throttle and glide to a nice landing. The Biplane really excels at this with its extra wing area. I experimented with a tail wheel on the Micro SSX, and since it is not a steerable tail wheel, I found that as the plane slows, there is not enough air flow around the rudder to allow it to steer. I have decided to stick with the tail skid.

!! Aerobatics/Special Flight Characteristics

Basic aerobatics are no problem at all for either of these planes. They also do spins and hammerheads quite well. Due to the lack of fuselage, knife edge is the one maneuver neither can really do. To me, the special flight characteristic of the Biplane is its slow speed and handling (great for fly-bys and touch and go's) while the Micro SSX is quite aerobatic and has the ability to handle a lot of wind. I have flown mine in 15 mph of wind without a problem. Both planes are quite happy to fly close and low to the ground, and as your comfort level grows, you will find yourself doing aerobatics lower and lower to the deck. Either plane should succeed in putting a smile on your face.

!!Is This Plane For A Beginner?

No. I would not recommend the Biplane or Micro SSX to a beginner as both can be quite nimble on the sticks. However, with the throws cut down, either one would be a good 2nd aileron plane.

!Photo Gallery/Flight Video

@ssx bipe 032.jpg: The Author and Moses and James from Millennium RC
@ssx bipe 333.jpg: Takeoff
@ssx bipe 334.jpg: Fly By
@ssx bipe 036.jpg: Inverted
@ssx bipe 038.jpg: Bipe in a hover with a SSX in the background
@ssx bipe 047.jpg: Fly-By
@ssx bipe 048.jpg: Fly-By
@ssx bipe 053.jpg: James testing the camera man
@ssx bipe 355.jpg: Landing
@ssx bipe 039.jpg: Landing
@1 035.jpg: Inverted
@Fits 2008 025.jpg: Side View
@Fits 2008 026.jpg: Side View
@Fits 2008 029.jpg: Inverted
@Fits 2008 030.jpg: Moe from Millennium
@microssx 046.jpg:
@microssx 047.jpg:
@microssx 048.jpg:

The video and some of the pictures were shot at the Prop Busters RC club in Lakeland. James & Moe from Millennium RC were flying while I shot pictures and video. The video of the Micro SSX was shot in James’ backyard over the lake.

+Micro SSX Biplane.wmv: Micro SSX Biplane
+Micro SSX over the lake.wmv: Micro SSX

!Conclusion

The Millennium RC Micro SSX Biplane and Micro SSX are nice looking and easy to build as far as kits go. Either would make a nice project for the first time builder or experienced builder alike. Don't plan to spend a lot of time building, as the lack of a full fuselage makes for a quick build. If the thought of building has you running for cover, Millennium has an ARF version for the Micro SSX and the possibility of an ARF version of the biplane in the future.

*Pluses:
*Short assembly time
*Small size makes it easy to transport and fly in a small area
*Handles the wind quite well
*Good hardware provided in the kit
*Good support and documentation available here on RCGroups in the vendor forum

*Minuses:
*A few laser cut parts needed a little cutting to get them out of the sheet
Last edited by Angela H; Mar 02, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2008, 11:10 PM
War Eagle!
Great job with the review, sir! These definitely look like very fun planes — and nicely designed, too. The little jig for adjusting the incidence sure is a neat trick.

I'm glad you're having fun with these planes — the videos sure did show it. That was really funny about the dogfight "soundtrack," too!

I thought they'd be gentler-flying machines, but they sure can zip along!
Mar 02, 2008, 11:32 PM
The Eh Team
Nice review! I enjoy my Micro SSX, which I bought as an ARF at NEAT last fall. The main thing I wish it could do better is fly slowly, and it looks like the biplane version is just the ticket for that. :-)
Mar 03, 2008, 12:49 PM
Been There! Done That!
Great review! Well done! Really liked the videos.
boomer
Mar 03, 2008, 01:14 PM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

Great review....

I'm glad you really hammered the sticks,that's the way I would have flown 'em..the coolest was taking off as a biplane....You flew the snot out of it....then landing with both wings still attached.hey hey...
Mar 03, 2008, 06:44 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Great review - two really cool planes
Looks like a bipe in my future
Mar 04, 2008, 08:21 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Very nice review Doc. I was thoroughly impressed with the micros I saw fly at Perry last weekend. Thanks
Bill
Mar 04, 2008, 08:41 PM
Timelord
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliments, they both really fly well and it shows in the video.
Mar 05, 2008, 09:40 AM

Thanks

Thanks Doc, the review looks greate!
May 03, 2008, 11:00 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Man, I finally got my hands on the micro-bipe..

I *had* to come home with one (and another SSX).. The bipe absolutely rocks.. Now to decide how to cover it..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
May 04, 2008, 05:13 AM
Tram I picked up a Bipe at SEFF as well, can't wait to get started on it.

MLT
May 04, 2008, 06:42 PM
Timelord
Thread OP
Just got home from SEFF

You guys will like the bipe
May 04, 2008, 11:08 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67
Tram I picked up a Bipe at SEFF as well, can't wait to get started on it.
All I gotta say is..

Climb to some altitude..

Power out..
Full left rudder..
Full right aileron...
Full down..

or bottom left corner mixed with a lil' top right corner..

The bipe rocks at this..

Top left corner.. Top right corner rocks too..
Sep 18, 2008, 10:26 PM

can someone help me?

OK - I just finished my micro ssx bipe and m having some flight issues. When I open the throttle all the way up the plane pushes down, at half throttle it flies straight and level and then less throttle it tries to nose up a bit. everything appears to be true but it is not as stable as I had hoped - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 18, 2008, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorno67
OK - I just finished my micro ssx bipe and m having some flight issues. When I open the throttle all the way up the plane pushes down, at half throttle it flies straight and level and then less throttle it tries to nose up a bit. everything appears to be true but it is not as stable as I had hoped - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Move the motor back to 0,0. if you cut the carbon to exact length, the upper wing ends up slightly negative to the lower wing. Set the lower wing slightly positive. Make sure your tail length is also correct. If you need to adjust the carbon length, I have had some success removing the carbon with a CA solvent from Golden West.

James

Quick Reply