to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2007, 09:11 PM

Prepping the Frames for Planking

This turned out to be a bit of a tedious part of the assembly, but it's not a good place to try and shave a little time off the build! Templates are provided for marking the location of each of the planks on each of the formers. These marks are infinitely important to insure the lapstrake works out right. It's at this point that I can really begin to understand the amount of enginering that went into this design.
Dec 24, 2007, 09:22 PM

Planking Begins

Each of the hull planks are laser cut, and contain reference marks on the cut sheets to insure the planks start out in the right place. The instructions are clear about how to begin the process.

To start, alignment blocks are glued to the keel centerline. Then the first plank is layed. The bevel is trimmed into the outer edge, then the next plank is layed and glued in place.

From here it's down to repeating the process for fitting each of the 12 planks per side. I'll drop lots more photos as things progress.

PAT
Dec 25, 2007, 03:40 PM
Watching very closely, Pat! I'm still trying to figure out the exact approach to ensuring that the planks fair together at an even rate at the bow and stern... It appears that each lapping plank takes 2" of bevel on each (lower, inside) end?

This will be a fun challenge!
Dec 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
Aero, The way I see it, the planks go from straked to flush in the last 2" at both the bow and the stern. It took a little head scratching to figure out how the whole thing was supposed to go, but once you understand that the planks run smooth at both ends it's no problem seeing what's happening. It does take a bit of trimming to get things lined up nicely, but after the first one it will get easier. I,m guessing that by the last couple it'll be downright easy.

PAT
Dec 25, 2007, 04:12 PM
That is what I'm thinking too! will need to take our time fitting the early planks!
Dec 25, 2007, 04:18 PM
Pat, What type of finish will you be using? Resin and cloth would seem to be difficult for this type of hull.

Thanks

Grav.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Dec 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
Grav. You're right, resin and cloth is pretty much out of the question. I think what I'll do is go with a couple coats of resin on both the inside and out. I'll do the inside first to find the "leaks" and take care of those first with a slurry of micro balloons in the effected areas. Then move out and seal the wood with a couple coats on the outside. The way the planks are laid, I really don't see why the boat would be a leaker unless the builder didn't take the time to lay them carefully to insure a good smooth mating surface. That's the plan, but time will tell.

PAT
Dec 25, 2007, 04:56 PM
GRAVMAN- Just in passing to answer your question about the finish on the hull, we used Z-POXY finishing resin thru out the LYMAN builds with great success. Donít even give a thought to trying to glass cloth a lap strake hull, it just will not work. Even on real lap strake hulls the movement between the planks would crack it and besides you would loose the definition on the lap strake with the radius build up at the laps.
Dec 29, 2007, 04:08 PM

I'm confused

1. I find no indication of how far from the edge the beveling mark on each plank should be.
2. I find no direction arrows on the laser cut planking sheets to indicate the keel side, just two lines that can point in either direction. I assume these marks are the F7 lines.
3. The directions seem to indiate that each plank is beveled on the outside edge where the next plank lays on it. If so wouldn't it be easier the sand each bevel before installing the plank? However the picture on step 36 looks as if both edges of each plank are beveled. Also on drawing # 19 it looks as if the planks are beveled on the INSIDE edge where they rest on the frames except for the first one.
4. I don't see, but may have missed, at what step the shears are glued to the frames.
Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated.
Dec 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
1. I find no indication of how far from the edge the beveling mark on each plank should be.

Step 22 indicates that there should be a 45 degree angle sanded in about 1/8" in. The picture in post 18 the upper RH photo shows the gauge block I made to draw the lines. The lower LH photo shows the planks after trimming.

2. I find no direction arrows on the laser cut planking sheets to indicate the keel side, just two lines that can point in either direction. I assume these marks are the F7 lines.

I had a problem there too. Some have a laser cut notch toward the curved end which I assumed was the front -- which it is. The best bet is to put the curved end forward and angle it such that the front end is the same angle as the stem. It seams odd, but the curve on the plank should point inward toward the keel when oriented properly.

3. The directions seem to indiate that each plank is beveled on the outside edge where the next plank lays on it. If so wouldn't it be easier the sand each bevel before installing the plank? However the picture on step 36 looks as if both edges of each plank are beveled. Also on drawing # 19 it looks as if the planks are beveled on the INSIDE edge where they rest on the frames except for the first one.

I've found that if you mark the reference line on the outer edge of the plank using the home made gauge, then bevel the plank using a good sharp wood chisel that the process goes quickly. And yes, there is a bit of conflicting info between the instructions and the cross section drawing on sheet 19. But looking at the bottom 3 photos on page 14 of the instructions clears up the written text nicely.
Figure B on page 15 shows the bevel on both planks so that they will lay flat at the transom. It took a minute to figure out just what was going on there, but its so that the planks will lay smooth at the stern.

4. I don't see, but may have missed, at what step the shears are glued to the frames.

I glued those up at step step 12 where the frames are glued to the keel.

So far the build has gone well, but you have to pay attension and kind of "wing it" in a couple places hear and there. This is a pretty complex process of trimming and fitting the planks, but after the first two planks are glued in place, it's all just repetition of the methods learned on the first two.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 29, 2007 at 05:45 PM.
Dec 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
Meanwhile, the planking process is progressing, though a bit slowly. After the hull is planked, the rest will be a breeze! More pictures to come.

PAT
Dec 29, 2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Pat, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. My old eyes need a rest.
Dec 29, 2007, 06:29 PM
420TEE- You are right about there being no arrows pointing toward the keel. For some reason when going to the laser etching the arrows did not come out, however each plank is numbered and lettered which serves the same purpose, hence PL3L is the left hand side , PL3R is the right hand side plank when viewing the bottom of the boat from the transom.
Dec 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
frankg, I kind of assumed that once I got into the planking the numbers and shapes would dictate where and how they go. Better to ask than miss something and screw it up. Full speed ahead.

Quick Reply