Aug 08, 2008, 04:33 PM

Lapstraking

If you're a little leery about diving into lapstraking this boat you might want to look at the Midwest Sea Bright Dory Lifeboat kit. I just got it today but the construction looks much like my Lyman and might be good practice. It's kit # 976 and it's $40 from Tower. It makes a nice little display boat to boot.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2008, 10:19 PM
Gravman, I use West Systems 105 resin and either 205, or 207 hardner. The 207 has a longer pot life on warm days so I prefer that one in the summer months.

PAT
Aug 09, 2008, 11:02 PM
Pat Tritle- I was wondering how you go about getting your build on the Lyman posted with the build threads section at the top of the first page of the forum. That would sure help in directing people to the build site if they could go directly to the build threads to find the build. Also did you get a chance to check out the triple barrel back for the questions I posed in that thread as to the speed of the model. With the power plant you have in it, it should be a good deal faster that is shown in the video. You might have to change the prop size if you are using the propeller that came with the kit.
Apr 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
Frank, The problem with the speed of the Trip-CP is the shaft angle. Because of the limited space in the engine compartment and the drive shaft orientation, the off-set on the gear box is at a 17 degree angle at the coupler creating tremendous drag on the driveline. If all goes as planned I'm going to refit it with a brushless outrunner, which will align perfectly with the shaft and solve the problem.

PAT
Oct 17, 2013, 12:36 PM

Long term follow-up

I am considering building one of these Lymans and wanted to know how everyone’s models are holding up over time. It has been a few years since you all built your models. Are the hulls developing any cracks or separation in the planks? I appreciate your opinions.
Oct 17, 2013, 12:41 PM
NAUSET- The model looks as good as the day she was finished except for some of the deck fitting getting knocked off due to flooding of the building during hurricane “SANDY”. If built as per the instructions and sealed and finished with the epoxy resin, the hull becomes one unitized unit with all the planking glued and sealed with the epoxy.
Oct 18, 2013, 06:20 PM
I see all your typos
Make another version, dirty it up a bit and you'll have Ben Gardner's boat.

Brody: "That's Ben Gardner's boat!"
Hooper: "You know him?"
Brody: "It's all banged up. Sure I know him. He's a fisherman."

Great boats those Lymans; all that space in the middle but I guess it's more of a utility boat, more so than the Chris-Crafts?
Oct 21, 2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauset
I am considering building one of these Lymans and wanted to know how everyone’s models are holding up over time. It has been a few years since you all built your models. Are the hulls developing any cracks or separation in the planks? I appreciate your opinions.
Nauset, I ran mine again a month or so ago and she is still dry. No signs of deterioration anywhere. She's a goog boat.

PAT
Oct 24, 2013, 08:11 AM
Very good. Thanks for all your replys. I'm adding to my wish list for Santa.
Frankg: How is the rebuilding process going? Are you still on track to start shipping at the end of the month? Hope all is going well. Thanks again.
Jan 05, 2014, 10:02 PM
Pat,
Thanks for sharing the detailed build photos and captions. It's been a tremendous help with this model. Question for you, I'm just starting the front seat sub assemblies and read your note about paying special attention to left and right hand parts, making sure the Mahogany surfaces are facing the correct direction. Like a car, I'm assuming when referring to the left & right side of the boat, you're doing so as viewing it from back to front. In this case the steering wheel is positioned on the right - correct? I ask because some of the panel/parts labeling was a little confusing.
Thanks again, Bill
Last edited by lyman57; Feb 07, 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Feb 26, 2015, 01:24 PM
Order in! Looking forward to the build!

Quick Reply