Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by GWS CHEN, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 03, 2016, 01:06 PM
Maiden flights landed hot but in one piece, not quite stable. Cheater hole partially covered by grill. still pretty good speed for a 3 lb bird. Hard to orient in overcast sky.
Here is the vid for maiden+1 flight, after removing the nose weight and elevator trim:
Lavi EDF 70mm Maiden (2 min 6 sec)
Last edited by edwen303; Sep 03, 2016 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2016, 01:11 AM
check for reversed controls
beautiful landing Ed.
nice job on the intake mod

gonna fly mine tomorrow
Sep 04, 2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks Al!
Found the problem: nothing wrong with calculation but guess I slept too little, mismeasured the cg. Calculated cg is almost 1" aft the cg I used , no wonder so much elevator needed during maiden. With all the clay taken out from the nose, Lavi is just a little nose heavy now.
Sep 10, 2016, 04:02 PM
Today's flight video:
Lavi 70mm EDF: Remaiden (2 min 32 sec)

Modification done: Massage the foam in wingtip to achieve a little more washout; use proven Hobbyking Orange 3xgyroReceiver; Add rudder. Flight ended with only one main gear deployed.
She is now very stable.
Only interesting issue: She seems always nose up during flight, just like my 70mm Rafale which has fixed canard (almost zero AOA for the canard).
Last edited by edwen303; Sep 10, 2016 at 05:28 PM.
Sep 12, 2016, 07:41 AM
Wow that she is looking sweet nice job there.
How did you manage to get the two batteries inside can you post a picture of all your gear inside the plane I want to see how I can cramp up all the components on mine. I was about to order the 4s 70mm edf from HK but they didn't last and now is out of stock again so I'm still stuck with my build.
Sep 12, 2016, 12:45 PM
The GWS J10 has much thicker foam wall than GWS A4 (if you happen to have one), I basically carve quite some chunks of foam before gluing the halves together. Even so, I had to carve a little more or massage the foam after gluing together. I put the two 3s batteries side by side.
Also, I carved out more room in the compartment and glued a piece of ply to hold the battery. Forgot to take a picture during building.
My turnigy 2200mah 6s 40c battery won't fit even after the mod. I believe 4s 3000-4000mah battery can be easier to fit after carving the foam.
I will post picture later.
Sep 12, 2016, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
The GWS J10 has much thicker foam wall than GWS A4 (if you happen to have one), I basically carve quite some chunks of foam before gluing the halves together. Even so, I had to carve a little more or massage the foam after gluing together. I put the two 3s batteries side by side.
Also, I carved out more room in the compartment and glued a piece of ply to hold the battery. Forgot to take a picture during building.
My turnigy 2200mah 6s 40c battery won't fit even after the mod. I believe 4s 3000-4000mah battery can be easier to fit after carving the foam.
I will post picture later.
I will appreciate any picture you can send me also i have a Zippy 3000mah 40c 6s lipo i think i will dismantle it and make a 5s because 4s wont do with this power plant or i don't think it will, i have a Cyclon 70mm 10 blades with a 2200kv inrunner motor 1500w really designed for 6s so i think 5s will be ok but 4s will be wimpy anyways i really want to finish this jet so any imput will be appreciated.
Sep 13, 2016, 06:42 PM
modified battery compartment can hold 3000mah 6s battery.
Sep 14, 2016, 09:24 AM
I did a lot of sanding inside there and now i can almost fit the 3000mah but the foam underneath is paper thin so i will put a piece of plywood or something to reinforce it, i also tested a 4s lipo and looks like she would fly like that so i think a 5s will be fine and the extra space i get having one less cell will allow me to pass all the wires thru also i need to make space for the FPV gear so this is what i need to do:

- finish setting up the radio. i will use canard for elevator only and i will set up the main wing as elevons how do you have your mixing edwen?
- reinforce the battery bay
- Reinforce wingtip with more foam, balsa wood, laminate or something
- LOS test fly
- FPV gear installation

I really like this jet i thinking on getting another airframe after i get this one up an running and hopefully i will do a better build right from the beginning LOL
Sep 14, 2016, 02:33 PM
Sounds good plan. Yes I glued piece of ply for the enlarged battery compartment.
yes for the mixing. choose elevon mode; mix elevator to Channel 6 (canard).
Stock J10 canard is more forward, so carve out more foam for the battery compartment will make easier to achieve cg.
I use 19g/squareyard fiberglass cloth from hobbyking for the wing. Use heavier fiberglass with epoxy might be a good idea.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...per_Thin_.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizio_g
I did a lot of sanding inside there and now i can almost fit the 3000mah but the foam underneath is paper thin so i will put a piece of plywood or something to reinforce it, i also tested a 4s lipo and looks like she would fly like that so i think a 5s will be fine and the extra space i get having one less cell will allow me to pass all the wires thru also i need to make space for the FPV gear so this is what i need to do:

- finish setting up the radio. i will use canard for elevator only and i will set up the main wing as elevons how do you have your mixing edwen?
- reinforce the battery bay
- Reinforce wingtip with more foam, balsa wood, laminate or something
- LOS test fly
- FPV gear installation

I really like this jet i thinking on getting another airframe after i get this one up an running and hopefully i will do a better build right from the beginning LOL
Oct 09, 2016, 08:41 AM
Any idea on how much trow on the control surface?
The programming is almost done and the reinforcing of the wings is done, i decided to go with paper and glue because it is easier and less messier and i wasn't desalinated it is strong and rigid also light.